aberdeen-music

Led Zeppelin liked to steal

Guest MKII

And it doesn't even mention their biggest ever rip-off-stealing the entirety of Willie Dixon's "You Need Love"' date=' playing the organ riff on guitar and renaming it "Whole Lotta Love".

I really don't like Led Zep. They stole their name, image and sound from the Who, their songs from underappreciated and obscure artists, and sold it on in a sanitised package to people who don't know any better. It pains me to listen to them.[/quote']

I think they've settled all of their copyright infringments out of court as well.

Listen to the Small Faces track, Steve Marriotts vocal in particular.

No news there - it's a well known fact that The Led were tea-leafs of the highest order.

Great fuckin' band tho.

DZL

Yes thievin magpies. I have a colleague and Led Zepplin fan who is in denial regards this' date=' he just won't accept any mention of it and i quote "I have most of them already on a Mojo CD – can’t see the comparisons myself".

Watch Your Step by Bobby Parker is oft quoted for being the source of Lennon's riff for I Feel Fine...but if that is the case at least he changed some notes and the feel.

Here's a few other links and it's not just songs they "reinterpret"

[url']http://www.iem.ac.ru/zeppelin/docs/FAQ.html#18

http://www.turnmeondeadman.net/Zep/Originals.html

Interesting comment in there about the "savvy" Willie Dixon copyrighting songs that should be public domain.

It all cancels itself out, I mean, look at how many bands have ripped off Led Zep!

It's really weird and interesting hearing the source of songs you've known for so long though!

Interesting comment in there about the "savvy" Willie Dixon copyrighting songs that should be public domain.

It all cancels itself out' date=' I mean, look at how many bands have ripped off Led Zep!

It's really weird and interesting hearing the source of songs you've known for so long though![/quote']

There's influence and there's ripping off. If there is a source for a song then it should be credited, which is not the way that Zeppelin worked...until faced with leag action. Another one I stumbled across was Aerosmith Hangman Jury which is an old song called Lining Track.

Even if Willie Dixon copyrighted songs he didn't actually write...he still holds the rights legally and the bands are hypocrites.

With all these songs, the accused argued that they were "old traditional songs" and they've done nowt wrong ...but they claimed credit for their version of the song and promptly copyrighted it. If another band were to use that same riff or words they'd sue the band's ass.

So whilst whining about the origin of the songs they "used", they are nothing but a bunch of hypocritical money grabbing whores.

:gringo:

Guest bluesxman

I'm curious - why are we 'outing' a band who broke up 26 years ago?

I never used to like Zeppelin much in my younger days but have listened to them a fair bit over the past few years. I'm not getting the comparisons to The Who at all personally....they are hardly unique in borrowing from what has gone before, are they?

I'm curious - why are we 'outing' a band who broke up 26 years ago?

I just found that site and hadn't heard some of the tracks. It's not breaking news that's for sure.

If you're a fan, I think it's interesting to actually hear where the ol' zep took 'inspiration' from. :)

I'm tempted to do a King Crimson version, as they liked to borrow too. ;)

Guest bluesxman
I just found that site and hadn't heard some of the tracks. It's not breaking news that's for sure.

If you're a fan' date=' I think it's interesting to actually hear where the ol' zep took 'inspiration' from. :)

I'm tempted to do a King Crimson version, as they liked to borrow too. ;)[/quote']

Oh I see. I'm sure if you did enough digging around you could find loads band's 'borrows' by determining their musical tastes and having a listen to them.

Poor defence

Why? Do you know if those allegations against Wille Dixon are correct? Even if they are do two wrongs don't make a right... If it's copying someone's work they should at least credit the original.

Who have Led Zep sued for breach of copyright?

That was an example of what could happen but I'm sure Kingdom Clone ..er Come were done for something. Anyway, I'd actually love to see a band try it...

It can all get stupid though...take John Forgerty who got sued for plagiarism by Fantasy Records because of "The Old Man is Down the Road" sounding too much like "Run Through the Jungle"...which he wrote earlier. The irony ...

Guest bluesxman

I happened to have the CD of Led Zep 4 in the car the other day, When The Levee Breaks has a credit to Memphis Minnie, is that a new thing for the CD's or did the original album have the credit as well?

I happened to have the CD of Led Zep 4 in the car the other day' date=' When The Levee Breaks has a credit to Memphis Minnie, is that a new thing for the CD's or did the original album have the credit as well?[/quote']

Definitely new...caught again. The original Led Zeppelin "one" credits have changed through the years too. Great record though