aberdeen-music

My mum is going to get married

It definately depends on your budget - My wedding was almost six years ago, and we weren't able to spend a fortune, but still had a great day. The ceremony was at Templar's park (Aberdeen Scout Campsite), in the outdoor chapel - mainly because I'm an Explorer Scout Leader.

Our reception was at the Old Mill Inn - just down the road, and it was excellent - and very reasonable. It was an all inclusive deal, which included:

Limousine to collect the bride

Toast Drink

Excellent meal (my wife was a vegetarian at the time and chose Macaroni Cheese as the vegetarian option - they had no problems with that)

Photographer (To be honest, he was a bit pants - the photos were good, but half a spool's worth went missing and took ages to track down)

One of the guys from the hotel also acted as a toastmaster, and did a very good job.

We booked a ceilidh band - Gallik Bred, who were really good

All in all, our day went fantastically well, and we had no problems with the Mill Inn - they were excellent in every way.

We did have a look at various other places, including Norwood Hall (ouch) and The Maryculter House Hotel (oooyah!). Depending on what your budget is though, Aberdeen city and shire have heaps of fantastic places. A colleague of mine is getting married at Castle Fraser next year - if castle's take your mum's fancy, then try the National Trust for Scotland.

Regards

Flossie

The heugh hotel in stonehaven is quite affordable and does great food' date=' but im not sure how much it can cater for. It'd be worth looking into.[/quote']

hmm, i'd not thought about the heugh. we might be going for the st leonards as they're food is tasty and the bars reasonably priced.

sorry to hijack romanchokes wedding thread :)

The Winter Gardens at the Duthie Park is a lovely place for the actual ceremony' date=' the wee chapelly type area takes about 40 or so guests I think?[/color']

for once i do agree with something you have posted

the only thing about the Winter Gardens is that you might have to have it open to the public which might be a bit much. A woman I worked with was married there and said it was a bit off putting having kids running over the bridges screaming while she was making her vows.

Guest DustyDeviada
And wait on a 5 year waiting list.

Not sure about that, I got engaged in September 2002 and got Kings for a Saturday afternoon in August 2004.

The reception was at Maryculter House, very nice, I'll definitely use it again the next time I get married. ;)

And surely all this talk of the reception is irrelevant - have you booked Hog for the photos yet?

i guess it depends what kind of feel you want to the wedding. I kinda like the idea of getting married in a ruin or something, mebbe the one outside Stonehaven with the cliffs and such, it'd be very Wuthering Heights I think. Of course if it was a windy day you'd have to be careful, having guests get blown off the cliff would not be a good thing.

There are lots of nice wee hotels and stuff outside Inverness, I can't remember the name but you could have the wedding and reception in one place and the guests could stay in the hotel as well. Not sure about the cost but my aunt and uncle did that in a place that was right beside Loch Ness and it was lovely.

Been to a couple of weddings at the old mill in, both were good, good site for photos especially outside.

My mum got married at the kintore arms inverurie which was very nice, then but that was 4 years ago and owned by other people.

Banchory lodge is another good place for weddings, gorgeous location next to the dee brilliant for photos and they have a marquee.

Indeed... and don't you have had to have gone to Aberdeen Uni? I don't think they include RGU as it has nothing to do with RGU (I may be wrong but this was the last I heard).

Kings collegs = nice.

Potentially worth a 5 year wait imho.

they have only had to wait a year.

the got engaged about two months ago and are getting married on july 27th next year

the only thing about the Winter Gardens is that you might have to have it open to the public which might be a bit much. A woman I worked with was married there and said it was a bit off putting having kids running over the bridges screaming while she was making her vows.

I'm sure you can opt to have that particular area sectioned off' date=' there was a wedding on when I was down there recently and it was cordoned off for 2 hours or something so they had it to themselves for the ceremony. Plus you can hire out the entire winter gardens out of hours for private functions and stuff and have the run of the whole place to yourself. Tis quite cool.[/color']