aberdeen-music

.wav to .mp3 convertor

Guest lime ruined my life

eh? i though LAME was just a particular algorithm used to encode mp3.

CDEX is an awesome freeware program for ripping cd's to wav or mp3, and also converting mp3 to wav and vice versa.

eh? i though LAME was just a particular algorithm used to encode mp3.

CDEX is an awesome freeware program for ripping cd's to wav or mp3' date=' and also converting mp3 to wav and vice versa.[/quote']

nah LAME is an encoder/decoder, and is even integrated into some programs like FLStudio etc.

i'm not sure that's too relevent. It certainly is a standalone program' date=' but it's first and foremost an open source code for compressing audio into mp3 format, an algorithm, or code or whatever you want to call it.

In any case, cdex is briliant, and if you want, you can choose to use the LAME encoder with it.[/quote']

the source code is an implementation of an encoding algorithm, so even if it is used in a modular way as a library within an other program, it is still an encoder. Otherwise, what purpose does the source code serve, if not to encode mp3s?

It has been around for at least 10 years as a standalone encoder.

Go to their website, download the source and compile it, if you are still not convinced. It produces an executable encoder.

That quote I posted was from the lame website, but if you want to disagree with the people who maintain the project, and me who has been using LAME for at least 10 years, thats fine by me.

no' date=' it is a particular algorithm which acomplishes mp3 compression, there are other algorithms which acheive mp3 compression, the fact that the goal is the same doesn't mean the code is. I'm doing to drop this now though.[/quote']

Again, from the lame website : http://lame.sourceforge.net/about.html

"in May 2000, the last remnants of the ISO source code were replaced, and now LAME is the source code for a fully LGPL'd MP3 encoder"

go and read it for yourself.

go and google for "lame windows binary" and download it yourself and have a go.

Programs like CDEX are nothing more than a GUI wrapper for binary versions of these encoder programs.

Are you telling me that the software I've been using for the last 10 years to encode mp3's doesn't actually exist? lol. You just don't have any idea what you are talking about, you should avoid pointless interjections like your first post if you are not prepared from time to time to accept you are WRONG and spreading disinformation.

1. Lame didn't exist ten years ago' date='

2.it is a peice of mp3encoding code first and foremost.

3. the fact that it is now under the under general public licence isn't really relevent, which leads me to beleive you don't even understand what you just circled.[/quote']

I just checked the dates and you are right, it was infact 1998 when I was using it. 8 years ago rather than 10.

look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAME which again states in the first sentence that lame is an ENCODER.

Yes, the fact is is GPL'd is irrelevant, what I encircled was the statement that it is an ENCODER.

LAME is the defacto standard STANDALONE ENCODER used by tens if not hundreds of thousands of people around the world. You can download a binary easily and use it as a STANDALONE ENCODER.

LAME is used by all the biggest MP3 pirate groups for encoding scene rips of commercial music.

This guy asked for a piece of encoding software he could use. LAME is generally accepted as the best STANDALONE ENCODER.

You are simply wrong.

ok' date=' its the best encoder, but what you're entirely missing here, is when they say encoder, they mean algorithm for encoding, it doesn't mean program for encoding.[/quote']

If you like, I can post a terminal logfile of me downloading the sourcecode direct from their website, compiling it, and using it to encode a wave file to an mp3.

It is a program for encoding. End of story.

AFAIK it's not standalone, you need a program to load the lame.dll and encode it. That doesn't mean it's not an encoder though, it still encodes the wav to the mp3...

When you encode with lame, you'll see a command window pop up and show you what's happening. That's all LAME, so i guess maybe you can run it by itself. So yeah, fuck knows.

But yeah, LAME is the best encoder by far, hence using it as scene standards. Use a preset like V0, and you'll get great results (there should be a command line input in the program).

Guest lime ruined my life

"The name LAME is a recursive acronym for LAME Ain't an MP3 Encoder, although the current version is, in fact, a stand-alone MP3 encoder."

so you downloaded the code' date=' and used a .bat or something to run it, which means the .bat is the program, not lame.[/quote']

Hahahahahahahah.No, I downloaded the code, compiled it, which produced a standalone executable that encodes wav files into mp3s. This is known as a "binary". All the software you use on your computer, wether its a mac, windows, or a fucking PDP/11 machine, has been compiled from source code to produce an executable.

.bat (batch files) are just scripts that run executable programs. typing "lame file.wav file.mp3" is exactly the same as running a batch file that contains the command "lame file.wav file.mp3"

You don't have the slightest fucking clue what you are on about mate, you obviously have neglible understanding of even the easiest to understand concepts of programming or even just the basics of how operating systems and software works. .

It never ceases to amaze me how tiny cities like Aberdeen can produce the type of people who think they can make authoritative statements about shit they are clearly totally fucking ignorant about. Open your fucking mind man, it's healthy to admit from time to time that you can be wrong or that people exist who are more informed than you.

Guest Gasss

So...

Lame existed originally as an open source MP3 encoding algorithim which was run within host programs and more recently has been released as standalone software?

Does this mean arguing that it is exclusively one or the other is futile?

Am I being an idiot?