aberdeen-music

Getting Healthy!

Chris

Well done you too... You should find the 10K a lot easier than you think on the day. You always get a boost of adrenaline in a race which really helps. I hope you've been carb-loading...Which half marathon are you doing?

I'd recommend subscribing to this place

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk

The forums are huge and full of great advice from runners of all abilities. They've got loads of training schedules and stuff too.

I reckon it's best to have a definite goal to start with for motivation' date=' then you quickly settle into the change of lifestyle so it becomes routine. I started off running a 10K for a bet, then did a half-marathon, and now I do around 20 miles a week just for fun. It's true, you really do feel a lot better.[/quote']

i'll give that website a look, cheers dude. i ran 10k the night before last (admittedly in a not-so-great 56:09) and had a pretty intensive american football training session last night. tonight is the 10k and i'm looking forward to it. i'm running about 3/4 times a week at the moment and after this 10k i intend to lift the distances up quite a bit so i'm running about 10k each time. then after another month i'll lift it some more and keep doing that. i intend to be not too far off marathon ready by september so that i can do the half without killing myself. the half marathon is the glasgow one on september 3rd.

/x

fucking hell! I dunno about fun' date=' but running is no longer my enemy. I hated it when I started and could barely make it to the first corner on my route. now I can run my full route without stopping and have added a bit on. Dunno how long it is but it takes me about 10 - 15 mins.

Don't think I'll be entering any 10k runs in the near future. Doesn't appeal to me. But I would like to put this new found fitness to good use. Anyone got any suggestions for an interesting sport to take up?[/quote']

Rugby is great fun, and gets you super fit, it's incredibly tiring falling (well, gettin tackled) down, then gettin back up again, over and over.

Rowing's also great; you should try it. you'll either love it or hate it. and if you love it, you'll never look back!

You've got off lightly....I had to take part in the Ballroom Dancing event:down:

Oh, unlucky.

Some good suggestions and some rubbish ones for what I can do with my new found fitness.

I don't fancy rugby or badminton much and swimming is more of an excercise routine than a hobby I think.

Anyone got anything interesting and a bit out of the ordinary? I used to do martial arts and am thinking about getting back into that but it takes up a lot of your spare time.

i'll give that website a look' date=' cheers dude. i ran 10k the night before last (admittedly in a not-so-great 56:09) and had a pretty intensive american football training session last night. tonight is the 10k and i'm looking forward to it. i'm running about 3/4 times a week at the moment and after this 10k i intend to lift the distances up quite a bit so i'm running about 10k each time. then after another month i'll lift it some more and keep doing that. i intend to be not too far off marathon ready by september so that i can do the half without killing myself. the half marathon is the glasgow one on september 3rd.

/x[/quote']

56:09 is a pretty decent time for a 10K first go actually. I reckon you'll easily beat 50 in the race. Top tips for the half -

Don't push yourself too quick, you could just strain something which will knock you right back. Work up to doing 10K every time over a few weeks.

Remember rest days are just as important as running days.

Listen to your body, if you really don't feel up to a run, just skip a day.

You don't have to train at full distance. For a half marathon you really only need to be doing 10Ks every other day or so, then a longer run at the weekend, maybe 15K. Do the full distance maybe once or twice toward the end of your training schedule, no more.

Get a Heart Rate monitor. Anything between 40 to 80 quid, but well worth it.

Don't run too fast when training. Chances are you'll be hitting the wrong Heart Rate levels and will be running anaerobically.

It's far more beneficial to get your heart rate up to about 60 or 70 % of your maximum and keep it there. Run at a speed where you can still hold a conversation. This might feel far too slow initially, but you'll soon see the benefit. The object is to keep your heart rate the same, but get your running speed quicker. Your resting heart rate will fall.

Interval Training. Run at an easy pace for 20 mins, then 5 mins at 90% of your maximum HR, then 10 easy, another 5 at 90%, and another 20 easy. Vary these combinations. Gets your body used to converting oxygen quicker, and recovering while still keeping up a good pace.

Don't listen to ageing piss-artists who've run a couple of races and think they know everything.

Guest Bob Double Jack

i used to weigh 17 stone 9 lbs., and managed to shed 4 1/2 stone in 7 months 4 years ago. of that weight i lost, i've only pt back on half a stone.

it is purely down to organisation / determination / dedication / and exercise.

and bizarrely, i have never done my ankles in playing football since losing the weight!

and i feel fuckin fantastic!

Mmm, my legs have just about recovered after doing the Edinburgh marathon on Sunday, so I can definitely recommend running as a way of losing weight. That was my second time doing that marathon and I managed to run it more than15min, in 3 hours 41 minutes, by sticking to the simple training schedule the organisers sent out in e-mail format.

I've lost at least 2 and a half stone since I started running a couple of years ago, and feel a hell of a lot better for it, though I'd still like to get super-buff, so I'm doing gym work for the next few weeks until I go to Serbia to write about the EXIT music festival for The Herald. Got to impress those East European super-hot ladies! (Before they sell for to be tortured like in Hostel, but I guess those are the breaks...)

Then I'm back running for the Loch Ness marathon in October, though I'm getting a bit bored of the jogging, might take up a team sport so it's more fun, a couple of friends are into handball so I might give that a go.

michael why dont you take up karate again?

exercise is definately the way forward, im used to doing five times a week of pretty tough training, (we aint british champs for nothing) and now that im not where my sports clubs are its gone down, and my mood goes down with it...though the plus side, at home we HAVE nothing but healthy food!

In holland literally everyone cycles, here many people are in danger of death by obesity, perspective anyone?

britain just needs a serious health reality check, which is very slowly starting to happen!

I'd like to do karate again, but I always feel a bit sheepish rejoining after a long absence, though I guess a year isn't too long to have been out. I also need to find a decent Shotokan club near the city centre, plus there is the big problem that I'm working night shifts at the moment, which makes going to lessons pretty difficult.

Perhaps I'll just go into Kelvingrove dressed up in my outfit and wearing a bandana, and practise kata all day long while nonplussed kids and curious pensioners wonder aloud what the hell I'm doing. The beating that I subsequently give them will leave them in no doubt as to what happens when they openly mock me.

That warning goes to all of you too. Yeah, you.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

I've lost about a stone in the last two months, and I'm baffled. My nights on the piss have greatly increased this past while, and synonymous with nights out is the Thain's stop-off on the way home for a pie and a bag or two of cheap rowies. My diet isn't the best , I have a pretty sedentary lifestyle too, so how I'm back down to 10 and a half stone is a total mystery. Any ideas?

I've lost about a stone in the last two months' date=' and I'm baffled. My nights on the piss have greatly increased this past while, and synonymous with nights out is the Thain's stop-off on the way home for a pie and a bag or two of cheap rowies. My diet isn't the best , I have a pretty sedentary lifestyle too, so how I'm back down to 10 and a half stone is a total mystery. Any ideas?[/quote']

I'd say get that checked by your GP. Rapid weight loss could be something like an overactive thyroid, or maybe type 1 diabetes. Are you often thirsty?

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I'd say get that checked by your GP. Rapid weight loss could be something like an overactive thyroid' date=' or maybe type 1 diabetes. Are you often thirsty?[/quote']

A stone in two months isn't rapid, is it? I've always had a pretty quick metabolism and I'm very rarely thirsty. There's type 2 diabetes on both my parents's sides of the family, and high cholesterol on one side too. But I've never felt better, physically or emotionally. Maybe just one of those lucky people who doesn't pile on the pounds.

A stone in two months isn't rapid' date=' is it? [/quote']

It's not rapid if you're trying to lose it, but it's pretty quick if you're just sitting about eating pies.

If anyone's interested I've decided to try cycling around woodland, as it's a good excuse to get out of Aberdeen at the weekends and I used to love cycling round the countryside when I was younger. A quick stop at Edinburgh bike co-op earlier today and I pick up my new bike on Monday!

Sorted.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
It's not rapid if you're trying to lose it' date=' but it's pretty quick if you're just sitting about eating pies.[/quote']

I'm not, trust me. I've just twigged how much walking about I do on a daily basis, and that may well account for it. Was starting to worry a bit.

Wasn't so long ago my weight went up to 12 and a half stone, wasn't really any reason for that either. Oh well.........

The hardest part is getting past the first 2 weeks or so then it becomes more of a habit than task. A few months back I started eating properly (Oily fish and the best fruits: Kiwi, Berries... as much as possible) and doing basic exercising each day, it's unreal how much better your brain and body feel when it's not loaded with crap.

Don't see the point in going in too deep just now, I hate seeing the same people in the Gym every time, who are obviously addicted to keeping fit... which i reckon is pretty wrong.

I've been trying to become a lot healthier, I managed a lot of leg strengthening recently, as I knew I had a minor knee surgery coming up, which is done now.

Now I just need to wait for it to be rested/healthy enough for exercise, I put on a bit of weight with recent exam/honours project stress related chocholate munchfests.

Managed to swap chocholate and crisps for bananas, oranges, pineapples, need to get my mountain bike out more when my knee heals fully, although I only ever take it down the beach (mostly due to buses trying to murder me whenever I venture onto the roads here)

Drink plenty water, cut down on coffee and started playing footie every week but I still like my red wine:)

I weigh a healthy 12 and a half stone at 6 feet tall and I have hardly changed from this for the last few years. Would like to do more exercise though.

Guest bluesxman

I used to smoke, when I was home from offshore I would drink loads as much as 12 nights out of 14, ate total crap all the time, did no exercise and maintained weight at about 10 1/4 stone.

I stopped smoking 9 years ago, eat much healthier nowadays and only drink a couple of nights a week generally and weight fluctuates between 12 to 12 1/2 stone. Figures.

Drink plenty water' date=' cut down on coffee and started playing footie every week but I still like my red wine:)

I weigh a healthy 12 and a half stone at 6 feet tall and I have hardly changed from this for the last few years. Would like to do more exercise though.[/quote']

Don't you get enough exercise polishing your bald head? :p