aberdeen-music

Download 2006

Mouse

I had a great weekend, but reading the Download forum now it seems there were very violent riots, explosions, damage and clashes with police. I was in the Red camp site which was pretty quiet, and got a reasonably early night so i missed all of this...knowing it all happened is making me feel lucky to get away ok though, and seriously putting me off going back again :down: .

Strapping Young Lad were highly entertaining. I saw Metallica (blew everyone away), GNR (very tight and entertaining after the "technical difficulties"), SYL, In Flames (definately deserved a main stage slot), Soulfly (great crowd), Hatebreed (nuts as usual), Hundred Reasons (fantastic performance and crowd), some of Dragonforce (but got bored of them), Coheed & Cambria (who did an awesome 10 min jam at the end), Korn (history in the making again) and Alice in Chains (also great). Missed Henry Rollins as they fucked up the stage times and missed Down. Didn't see Skindred or Lordi as the Gibson tent was far too packed.

Guest b-bert
Did anyone see Colon Openbracket?

yes, they were ok i guess but a bit repetitive for my liking.

here comes the rest of my vague review

SYL were very good,

soil were ok though their new singer isnt as good,

Metallica was the best thing EVER,

Cathedral were pretty good for me not knowing any of their songs,

sikth were awesome

arch enemy were very good

alice in chains were pretty good.

opeth were brilliant but the set was a bit short

evergrey were awesome but unfortuantely on late so i missed dragonforce

lordi i couldnt get into the tent

Guns n Roses were very entertaining especially the bumblefoot guitarist.

Hey i went, not on the one-up bus however, mine left from good ol banff. I thought download was awesome, highlights included avenged sevenfold,deftones and tool. I though guns n'roses were brillant too and i really cannot understand the shitty reviews and comments iv heard about their performance. What i saw was the most excited crowd for the entire weekend with axel and co really giving a good show, fair enough there was that odd break inbetween songs but when they played they played well.

I had a great weekend' date=' but reading the Download forum now it seems there were very violent riots, explosions, damage and clashes with police. I was in the Red camp site which was pretty quiet, and got a reasonably early night so i missed all of this...knowing it all happened is making me feel lucky to get away ok though, and seriously putting me off going back again :down: .[/quote']

I such much of this first hand as i was in the blue campsite, it wasnt scary it was such a good laugh. People were pulling down electricty lines and throwing gas canisters onto fires. All you could see along the horizon was huge napalm like wooshes:love: . We camped next to a bin area and the next day it was all over the shop and the police had various clashes with a small gang that were basically destroying everything.

Hey i went' date=' not on the one-up bus however, mine left from good ol banff. I thought download was awesome, highlights included avenged sevenfold,deftones and tool. I though guns n'roses were brillant too and i really cannot understand the shitty reviews and comments iv heard about their performance. What i saw was the most excited crowd for the entire weekend with axel and co really giving a good show, fair enough there was that odd break inbetween songs but when they played they played well.[/quote']

Yup the good old Banff Bus, thought you never caught tools set

SYL were awesome, haven't really heard much DOWN but they were amazing and anselmo's onstage banter was great, quite liked arch enemy and many other bands, bit disapointed with soils new singer though.

I such much of this first hand as i was in the blue campsite' date=' it wasnt scary it was such a good laugh. People were pulling down electricty lines and throwing gas canisters onto fires. All you could see along the horizon was huge napalm like wooshes:love: . We camped next to a bin area and the next day it was all over the shop and the police had various clashes with a small gang that were basically destroying everything.[/quote']

Sounds like a laugh and a half!

I think we should have a party based on this years Download festival at your house. This weekend.

I thought Metallica looked and sounded tired. The new track I heard at the start of the set was boooooring. They had none of the energy displayed when they made a surprise appearence before St Anguish a couple of years back! To cap it off, some meathead, who wouldn't let me past as I tried to head up the hill to go back on the Retro Rebels stall and let Mat see some Metallica, decided to punch me in the back after a pushed past anyway. So I whacked him a beauty in the nose and sent him flying. Spent the rest of the night pissed off like fuck with a sore back and swollen up hand.

Managed to catch ColonOpenbracket, thought they put on a professional show even though its not my kind of music. Good to see Marty get some sucess after years of good work. Thought their drummer was very solid and impressive, playing to synth tracks is not easy and he was flawless.

Lordi were good, I managed to get into the tent and they entertained as usual. Again not music I would buy or listen to, but I appreciate their stagecraft and show.

Sick Of It All were blinding as always, loved the set, loved the circlepits, loved singing along at the barrier!!!

I such much of this first hand as i was in the blue campsite' date=' it wasnt scary it was such a good laugh. People were pulling down electricty lines and throwing gas canisters onto fires. All you could see along the horizon was huge napalm like wooshes:love: . We camped next to a bin area and the next day it was all over the shop and the police had various clashes with a small gang that were basically destroying everything.[/quote']

Wow, I guess you must be right...I mean how could I not have seen that causing gas canisters to explode on fires which were right next to a field of very closely packed tents was "a good laugh". I mean who cares that it only takes tents seconds to melt down and stick to the flesh of any innocent person who could be sleeping inside...or that the high flammability of tents could cause the whole field to go up in flames. How could anyone possibly find that scary? What a retard I must be for having thought that.

And as for knocking down electricity lines and destroying the burger vans...doesn't that sound fun too? Being completely disrespectful to the people who put in all that effort setting up the festival for us and just causing them to raise ticket prices to cover the damage for next year.

Wow' date=' I guess you must be right...I mean how could I not have seen that causing gas canisters to explode on fires which were right next to a field of very closely packed tents was "a good laugh". I mean who cares that it only takes tents seconds to melt down and stick to the flesh of any innocent person who could be sleeping inside...or that the high flammability of tents could cause the whole field to go up in flames. How could anyone possibly find that scary? What a retard I must be for having thought that.

And as for knocking down electricity lines and destroying the burger vans...doesn't that sound fun too? Being completely disrespectful to the people who put in all that effort setting up the festival for us and just causing them to raise ticket prices to cover the damage for next year.[/quote']

I wasn't making fun of your point i was just expressing my opinion. i can see where your coming from though but it made for good entertainment and no one got injured as far as i know.Apart from the download security running over the tent opposite ours on a quad bike, they offered free food as a gesture of good will:popcorn: .

• 2 weeks later...