aberdeen-music

Emergenza - last night at the tunnels!

lynsey86

alrighty.

The bands taking part in the aberdeen emergenza event didnt have to pay the enrollment fee, due to the fact that the organisers are not sure if they will return next year. So we didnt have to pay a single penny.

We were pretty chuffed with the whole thing: good bill, quick changeovers, great crowd, free stuff!! cant really go wrong with any of that :)

Steve

www.myspace.com/paritysfall

Bands should not have to pay to play. It was the bands that got emergenza the crowd' date=' not emergenza.[/quote']

Apparently they organise the PA, venue and all that stuff too. You can make your own mind up as to what organisation it actually involves to put on a local band bill at the Tunnels.

To anyone that played - did you get actual cold, hard cash?

it went on how many tickets you sold' date=' if you sold 50 you got 50 quid back i think, and if you sold 80 you got 100 quid, something like that![/quote']

How does that work, the Tunnels has a capacity of 300, 6(?) bands played, so how could any band get 80 tickets, that's potentially overselling the venue by over 50%.

but emergenza isn't just a local gig at the tunnels' date=' is it cloud. also, is cash your only motivation?[/quote']

To the losers, it might as well be.

And yeah, cash is my only motivation. In a world where bands get screwed from almost every corner (promoters, record labels, etc), isn't it nice to be motivated with the thought of doing a little to make sure bands get paid well and don't get stitched up by wolves in sheep's clothing?

And wow, a pound (or just over) per ticket sold. Nice little profit for Emergenza there :) But let's see...even at £5 a ticket, say 300 tickets sold, that's £1500 for Emergenza. They pay out say £500 - that's still a grand profit for them. Easy, easy...

i was thinking of it from the bands side of things tho. should their only motivation be to make money from gigs?

and as for the losers, bring more fans and you won't be the losers. it's not tough to work that one out! if you're not capable of bringing a substantial number of fans or turning enough of the other bands fans onto your music, best not entering. no-one forces bands to do it.

/x

i think its quite strange how there is such massive debate taking place...

A number of local bands had the oppurtunity to play to a decent crowd in the tunnels, for no fee at all. 7 local bands took the oppurtunity. Turned out to be a good night, with both the bands and the crowd having fun:)

As far as im aware there were no negative consequences for any band/member of the crowd who played/attended the show...

:up:

ae' date=' but that doesn't stop people around here telling you that you made a mistake by getting involved! i'm glad you did it and had fun. we've had a blast playing emergenza.

/x[/quote']

You obviuosly didn't make a mistake playing it, because you went into the competition with your eyes wide open, you knew exactly what you were getting into.

All too often though, people don't know what they're getting into and at least this thread (and the others) gives the pros AND the cons of playing this event, so people can make a more informed decision.

In my opinion it's still exploiting bands, the money Emergenza earn per gig, compared to what any of the bands can earn from them is outrageous. Far higher than any promoter can earn doing an "honest" days promoting unless they're putting on big gigs with huge outlays up front.

i think eventhough it is still exploiting bands, if they win, it gives them a chanse to play a huge venue (carling academy) and toa HUGE crowd, and if they win that, then the crowd gets even larger... it is a very good opertunity to build up a large following

How does that work' date=' the Tunnels has a capacity of 300, 6(?) bands played, so how could any band get 80 tickets, that's potentially overselling the venue by over 50%.[/quote']

each band were given a ticket book of 100 tickets and told not to sell anymore than 80! As far as im aware that is what we were told! i guess they just assumed that no band could sell that many, the highest number sold was 65!

each band were given a ticket book of 100 tickets and told not to sell anymore than 80! As far as im aware that is what we were told! i guess they just assumed that no band could sell that many' date=' the highest number sold was 65![/quote']

So 80 tickets, times 6 (or 7) is most definitely more than 300. Great, so not only are they making a fortune, but they're also selling more tickets than there is capacity for. I dare say there's implications for the venue too - if more than 300 people holding tickets turned up, what then?

How much did you have to sell the tickets for, out of interest?

the money Emergenza earn per gig' date=' compared to what any of the bands can earn from them is outrageous. Far higher than any promoter can earn doing an "honest" days promoting unless they're putting on big gigs with huge outlays up front.[/quote']

there's no doubt that emergenza make some serious notes off the bands and it is not a humanitarian exercise, but it does give excellent opportunities if approached correctly. not sure about the aberdeen gig because there was doubt as to whether it was gonna go ahead at all and i think it was reasonably last minute in its organisation but the glasgow gig process started off with an hour-long meeting which bands were invited to attend. it had some propaganda stuff as you might expect and some testamonials from other bands but after that there was a chance to ask any questions you liked and really quiz the organisers about the ins and outs of the process. every part of the voting process was covered and all questions received, to my mind, satisfactory answers. you weren't able to sign up for the contest and pay your fee until you'd sat through this so it's not as if bands even really had the opportunity to go into it blind.

don't get me wrong, i do understand that the organisers make a lot of money off this and i do see why people object, but it's fairly transparent how it operates and people need to understand that. what really pisses me off is this idea that it's nothing you couldn't organise yourself with your mates. i could put together a gig in the tunnels with a few days of hard work and the right contacts, which is something i fully intend to do later this year, but to organise an all-day gig at the carling academy is well outwith most peoples capabilities.

if you imagine that the aberdeen winners might have sold 50 tickets, making the organisers 250 quid or whatever the figure was, as well as breaking even themselves, and maybe even turning a few quid profit, they now get to play at a huge event in the carling academy, distribute as many CDs and they like and sell their own merchandise. these opportunities do not come around all that often for bands at our level. the organisers made a substantial profit but not at the direct expense of the band who now have a great chance to take their music to a bigger crowd in a new city.

/x

So 80 tickets' date=' times 6 (or 7) is most definitely more than 300. Great, so not only are they making a fortune, but they're also selling more tickets than there is capacity for. I dare say there's implications for the venue too - if more than 300 people holding tickets turned up, what then?

How much did you have to sell the tickets for, out of interest?[/quote']

seven quid a pop!

emergenza

I think i speak for all the band when i say were not fans in any way of any pay to play setups but we didnt pay a fee to play emergenza (im not sure any band did?).We only managed to sell a handful of tickets but treated it as any other gig and went into it with an open mind.

We had a tough night with regards to sound on stage and some technical problems(not attacking jenny in any way as she did great as always x , by this i mean pedal and amplifier problems) which hindered our enjoyment of the gig but although it wasnt our best gig (by far) i think our songs still came across well, the crowd reacted well to us with a good show of hands and we were very surprised but chuffed (as any band would be) to go through to the carling academy final.

As far as we were concerned we were kinda fishes outta water (being an indiepop band at the end of a lot of heavier acts) but the positive thing for us was maybe a few people who saw us would be doing so for the first time and maybe like it. Weve never played with any of the other bands on a bill (apart from RHleft) so it was also good for us to see what the other bands are doing and play to a new crowd.

All the other bands played well and put on a good show, particularly Right Hand Left who played a great set (and I get more into every time i see them), and we were very surprised to go through.

IMO i think it was pretty pbvous just by looking at the lineup who would go through! 2 of the most established bands went through and that was pretty blatantly going to happen!

I did enjoy the gig, RHL were decent, HMG were fun and crazy but thought they sounded like rage and GNR mixed together which was nothing new althought i was impressed with how good there live act was!

Paritys Fall did themselves proud and played a nice clean tight set!

Little Kicks were indie and didnt really understand what all the fuss was about.

I think it was nae bad that Aberdeen got two bands instead of only one going through! Anyway gd luck to the winners the carling academy is a fookin ace venue!!

Danny.