aberdeen-music

Geckos!

Metarie

Does anyone have pet lizards on here? I've kind of fallen in love with the idea of getting a leopard gecko or two and was wondering how much I'd be for a basic set up and such like? Also, what are they like as pets and if there's anything I should know before getting one?

Is the reptile place on the green a good place to go for them? I saw the one in Aberdeen Market but it looked a bit sketchy. Not sure if you need to have a license to sell reptiles and obviously I'd rather go somewhere that was above board and would be able to help me out because I've never had one before.

I had a tokay gecko, and it was cool apart from the fact that after a while, some of the crickets WILL escape, and WILL be all over your house. I suppose that's not too much of a problem if you don't mind the sound of crickets behind the walls in the middle of the night...

Ah' date=' that's not so cool.

I suppose they do have to have live crickets and nothing else will do? I'm a just a big girl when it comes to bugs. Wouldn't mind handling them briefly but the idea of them roaming my flat isn't very appealing.[/quote']

you can feed them mealworms, or baby mice. The petshop i went to used to sell frozen baby mice. I guess these might not be appropriate for smaller lizards.

I'd recommend getting a rat. Dead easy to look after, and far more fun than any other rodent. Far more intelligent too - you can teach them tricks. I've had a few that would come when called. I'd let them run about the room most of the time, and they would run back into their cage for a piss, then come back out again.

cats are great' date=' but I look after my mum's occasionally when she's on holiday and if I had one of my own there might be problems.

I'm hoping geckos don't need the massive crickets, I'm going to go ask the guy in the Reptile House on monday.[/quote']

my leopard geckos just required the small crickets.

i'm sure you can buy some sort of cricket pen which is kept in the tank. you keep the crickets in there and whenever the gecko(s) need feeding you just release some.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I'd recommend getting a rat. Dead easy to look after' date=' and far more fun than any other rodent. Far more intelligent too - you can teach them tricks. I've had a few that would come when called. I'd let them run about the room most of the time, and they would run back into their cage for a piss, then come back out again.[/quote']

My friend's rat used to like pissing on my shoulder. I was told that meant he liked me.