aberdeen-music

Great Lost Album - Beck - Sea Change

thestooge

After 4 years this has finally come out on vinyl....

It is magnificent - a truly beautiful record and arguably Becks best. I loved Mutations and this is a huge leap forward from that, with a fair bit of influence from Serge Gainsbourg.

When I worked in a record shop, we only sold about 3 copies of this on release but this is Beck's best work so far in my opinion.

Why did it take so long to get a vinyl release?? Who knows.

Any one else care to comment/give a shit?

Guest bluesxman

I'm with you there, that and Mutations are great albums, I think I prefer his mellower work than the other stuff, although that has lots of great moments too, I think these 2 are consistently great rather than some great songs and some which are, frankly, shite.

I'd agree that this and Mutations are his best albums as well. I love Odelay and Midnite Vultures as well, Guero I wasn't such a big fan of although I still liked it. As a whole album I think Sea Change is probably his best though, I love how understated it is - really brings out how good his songwriting is. My personal favourites off that album are 'Guess I'm Doing Fine', 'Lonesome Tears' and 'Lost Cause'.

Guest DustyDeviada

Don't have Sea Change actually, rediscovered Mutations recently after sticking it on my ipod.

Odelay, Midnight Vultures and Guero are all great as well though.

I've never understood why everyone is so critical of midnite vultures. I'll admit that when it first came out I wasn't really into it but about a year or 2 later I started listening to it and totally got into it. It is quite different from the rest of his stuff but I really like it anyway.

Guest DustyDeviada

I love Midnite Vultures, but then I love Prince (or at least I used to love him when he was good) and that's pretty much what Beck was doing on that album.

His performance of Sexx Laws on Top of the Pops was once of the best I've ever seen, I still have it on tape somewhere.

Great sleazy lyrics, "I wanna get with you, and your sister, I think her name's Debra". Classic stuff.

Guest bluesxman

I really need to try Guero again, I struggled through it once, wasn't impressed. I don't mind Midnite Vultures, found most of Stereopathetic Soul Manure a struggle too.

how right you are, neighbour. Sea Change is his finest work. The production is incredible, the string arrangements are very English. i reckon he'd been listenin to some Five Leaves Left when writing it. Ma favourite tracks are Paper Tiger and Already Dead. Unbelievable.

I love Midnite Vultures, it's an amazin album. In fact, A Western harvest Field by moonlight is his onlydisappointin record In ma opinion. I love all the rest a his work

love from christy

• Upvote 1