aberdeen-music

The Omen

andrew.

:popcorn: yup yup.. so i'm one of the cool ones who went and saw it today. 06/06/06

i thought it was good, quite a few jumpy bits, some people in the cinema even screamed.

even at the end i didn't really understand what the evil nanny had to do with it all, seeing as she seemed to be the only friend of the devil boy.

some of the more graphic scenes were a bit naff, specially the bit where the guys head gets cut off, but i still thought it was a good scary movie.

anyone else been to see it yet?

anyone else been to see it yet?

Nope, not going to either. I have the original on DVD and it's great already, why ruin it by going to watch a crappy hollywood remake? Nothing they've done in it could be as good as the decapitation scene in the original.

Actually it wasn't that crappy. They kept it simple and didn't ruin it - I adore the original, it's probably the best horror movie ever made but I was still quite impressed by this remake.

A couple of changes here and there like the method of the decapitation scene but aside from that they really didn't change anything. Liev Schreiber was pretty good as Thorne and Julia Stiles did a good job too.

Despite knowing that the dog in graveyard scene was coming up I still jumped about a foot when it actually happened, same with Baylock attacking Thorne when he's giving Damien a haircut... Some of the dream scenes were excellent aswell for getting a token "fright" in.

They didn't overload it with special effects or anything like that, all they really did was update it - the omen for the 21st century as such, using footage from Columbia, 9/11 and the Tsunami as the "heralds" of armageddon.

I've been intending to buy the DVD of the original for ages and now I'll prolly have to buy both versions.

Slightly different note - did anyone watch "Curse of the Omen" last night on channel 4? We'd just got back from seeing the new film when it came on. Spooky stuff there.

Guest bluesxman

SPOILER ALERT: anyone who has somehow avoided seeing a 30 year old horror film shown on TV hundreds of times please do not read. Nothing stated here that wasn't in the original. The only thing wrong with the original are the flared trousers.

A couple of changes here and there like the method of the decapitation scene but aside from that they really didn't change anything.

Then really, what was the point in remaking it? Why remake a film exactly as it was made 30 years ago when the original still stands up well?

Did they really just remake it to cash in on a convenient date?

I know and I was pondering that too, perhaps to update it for the new generation? I dunno. I agree with you that the original still stands though, wholeheartedly.

Nomi... surely most people would figure out that a discussion thread about a film (a remake no less) would contain spoilers..?

Sick of horror remakes, no original ideas left in Hollywood. Here are some of upcoming horror remakes in the works:

Halloween - Rob Zombie is restarting the franchise. I'll be interested to see this, but think he may ruin it.

Return of the living Dead- Why? They are going to fuck it up.

Hills have Eyes 2 - Alright not a remake of original sequel, but a newly written sequel to remake. I loved the remake of Hills have Eyes.

Re-animator - No, no, no!!!!!!

Day of the Dead - I would love to see Romero's original vision on screen but think this will be a cheaply done p.o.s.

Black Christmas - Original is great...this will suck

Texas Chainsaw Massacre.The Beginning - Just watched the trailer to this, looks alright but nothing compares to original 70's film!

The Birds- ?

Evil Dead - Bruce Campbell is needed in the franchise!

The Fly- ANother one!

The Hitcher - Sharpe as the Hitcher, why god why?

Wicker Man - This WILL suck balls!

Night of the Living Dead 3D- Another remake but in 3D, Whoopdydoo! I liked Savini's remake, but don't think this will deliver.

Friday the 13th - Is it a remake or a prequel? No one knows.

I will go and see Omen 666, but why remake a perfect movie, next thing Hollywood will want to remake The Exorcist!

Someone should turn The Walking Dead comics into a series of movies or a TV series! Great read if you like Zombies.

I've only seen the trailer but I'm going to stick to the original' date=' the kid in the new one is nowhere as scary as in the old film.[/quote']

Completely agree. Actually the first thing that sprung to mind when I saw it was "aww, look at the little devil incarnate in his little red jacket. Ain't he cute?" Which is a definate turn-off for me when it comes to horror films.

Sick of horror remakes' date=' no original ideas left in Hollywood. Here are some of upcoming horror remakes in the works:

Wicker Man[/quote']

;( I'm already crying in despair over The Poseidon Adventure, I don't need this to add to it. And Evil Dead? Oh mai.

yup yup.. so i'm one of the cool ones who went and saw it today. 06/06/06

Am I the only one still trying to get their head round this statement? So, let me get this straight - going to see a heavily marketed, mainstream Hollywood remake of a fairly passable, yet hardly classic, horror film on a day that's almost, but not quite, 6/6/6 (you're only 2000 years late for that one) makes you "cool".

Oh, I see.

Guest bluesxman

Hmm, Sean Bean can be OK but The Hitcher is one of my faves despite some glaring plot holes and is one of Rutger Hauer's best roles, can't really see the appeal in a remake. Nicolas Cage's involvement in The Wicker Man is a nightmare, one of my favourite actors in a pointless, and by all accounts of the changes made to the plot horrible, remake of one of my favourite films, gah! And Return Of The Living Dead!?!? where will it end.....

I went to see the Omen last night, and after reading other reviews i expected a bad film but i saw an awful, awful film. It was dull, not scary and really boring.

The acting was bad, the script even worse (did they really, Mr Thorn, need to say the charcters, Mr Thorn, name every two seconds, Mr Thorn, in every piece of dialogue... Mr Thorn).

The kid wasn't scary or creepy, just annoying, oh look, i can screw my nose up, and the voice?

I will admit to jumping once (the dog in the cemetery), i knew it was coming but it still caught me offguard, but for a scary movie one jump is not enough. I'm just glad i didn't pay full price for that (i love Orange Wednesdays)

Oh and speaking of the dog, are we really expected to believe that if under attack from a vicious dog with its fangs in your arm all you need to do to get rid of it is...take off your jacket?

Guest Phantomsmasher

Hollywood should be taken for court for mass defilement of great films. The remakes of Halloween, Return of the Living Dead, Evil Dead and The Birds will all be fucking awful, they never capture the right feeling in the remakes. Too big a budget and not enough imagination.

That said, Silent Hill was actually enjoyable, so hollywood did do something right horror wise recently.

Am I the only one still trying to get their head round this statement? So' date=' let me get this straight - going to see a heavily marketed, mainstream Hollywood remake of a fairly passable, yet hardly classic, horror film on a day that's almost, but not quite, 6/6/6 (you're only 2000 years late for that one) makes you "cool".

Oh, I see.[/quote']

668 neighbour of the beast, 667... just across the street.....

Actually the "666" in the Omen refers to the sixth HOUR of the Sixth day of the Sixth month, the year is irrelevant. Either way its all shit, and a misreading of Revelation. Its all nonsense so roping in 9/11 footage seems spectacularly pretentious as well as in bad taste, but I haven't seen it yet. I just can't stand this attempt to make out "this is all based on biblical prophecies"...no it isn't, read Revelations 13 and you'll see that the 666 thing is referring to something quite diffferent.

I think the original is near enough perfect, so a remake seems peculairly pointless, and how could they ever top that soundtrack?

I will go and have a peep at it: out of interest how is the method of beheading different?