aberdeen-music

Double bass pedal help!

CaptainWow

make sure that when u learn a double bass part, or are running through exercises, you start of slow and build up the speed gradually.

basically the same with hands, make sure both feet are producing a balanced sound, that your right foot isnt louder than your left, its important getting this right!

as for songs, basically the whole megadeth - rust in peace album taught me double bass :D

HEy' date=' I finally decided to pull me double bass pedal out of the cupboard and put it to use, but the thing is I know bugger all about how to use it. So any technique tips, or songs to learn with DBP or any other help would be absolutely fantastic! LATERS!!!!:gringo:[/quote']

My two-penneth worth:

Start off slow, and only build up speed gradually when you can play nice and evenly at a slower pace. Initially aim for accuracy, and consistency of sound on both feet. If you start off at a million miles an hour, your playing will be a shambles.

Practice simple 16th note and triplet patterns using single-strokes, double-strokes, paradiddles on the feet whilst playing simple 4/4 time with the hands. For example, as follows:

1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a

RLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLR

1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a

RRLLRRLLRRLLRRLL

1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a

RLRRLRLLRLRRLRLL

Also try these starting off with the left foot. Play each pattern 20 times daily....boring, but this works, trust me. Great 4-way independence exercises too.

Also, practice playing lots of DIFFERENT double bass grooves.....not just dugga-dugga-dugga-dugga. IMO, some of the licks in early Metallica, Pantera stuff makes for very good learning material.

Couple of "recommended listening" tunes:

One - ...And Justice For All: Loads of good stuff here to learn....the half-time 16th note triplet groove played after the 1st guitar solo.....plus the 32th note triplets often played immediately before the backbeat during the double-time section at the end of the song.....ability to play these triplet "ruffs" is an essential DBP skill. Just about every metal drummer uses this lick.

Pantera - Domination: Cool, but straightforward DB beat....nice DB fills.....awesome song.

Doesnt matter if you dont nail these straight away....this stuff isnt easy, but is definitely achievable with practice.

Hope that helps. Best o' luck.

PS. If you fancy upgrading to a DW 5000 double pedal at a bargain price...click here

• Upvote 1

My two-penneth worth:

Start off slow' date=' and only build up speed gradually when you can play nice and evenly at a slower pace. Initially aim for accuracy, and consistency of sound on both feet. If you start off at a million miles an hour, your playing will be a shambles.

Practice simple 16th note and triplet patterns using single-strokes, double-strokes, paradiddles on the feet whilst playing simple 4/4 time with the hands. For example, as follows:

1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a

RLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLR

1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a

RRLLRRLLRRLLRRLL

1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a

RLRRLRLLRLRRLRLL

Also try these starting off with the left foot. Play each pattern 20 times daily....boring, but this works, trust me. Great 4-way independence exercises too.

Also, practice playing lots of DIFFERENT double bass grooves.....not just dugga-dugga-dugga-dugga. IMO, some of the licks in early Metallica, Pantera stuff makes for very good learning material.

[b']One - ...And Justice For All: Loads of good stuff here to learn....the half-time 16th note triplet groove played after the 1st guitar solo.....plus the 32th note triplets often played immediately before the backbeat during the double-time section at the end of the song.....ability to play these triplet "ruffs" is an essential DBP skill. Just about every metal drummer uses this lick.

Pantera - Domination: Cool, but straightforward DB beat....nice DB fills.....awesome song.

Doesnt matter if you dont nail these straight away....this stuff isnt easy, but is definitely achievable with practice.

PS. If you fancy upgrading to a DW 5000 double pedal at a bargain price...click here

Best way to do it is to play along with the likes of Motley Cru and work your way up to the big boys of double bass use....

BUT always start s..l...o....w...l.....y

I personally never followed sort of the stuff hugh_jazz mentioned i have always kep my legs in shape and just watch other drummers and practised like a motherfucker ................................................................. the cheaper option.

and don't bother with all these fucking rip priced double kick pedals ....... my first pedal set is mapex basic double pedal and it has never let me down yet.

My two-penneth worth:

Start off slow' date=' and only build up speed gradually when you can play nice and evenly at a slower pace. Initially aim for accuracy, and consistency of sound on both feet. If you start off at a million miles an hour, your playing will be a shambles.

1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a

RLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLR

1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a

RRLLRRLLRRLLRRLL

1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a

RLRRLRLLRLRRLRLL

[b']One - ...And Justice For All: Loads of good stuff here to learn....the half-time 16th note triplet groove played after the 1st guitar solo.....plus the 32th note triplets often played immediately before the backbeat during the double-time section at the end of the song.....ability to play these triplet "ruffs" is an essential DBP skill. Just about every metal drummer uses this lick.

for real this is a huge help! thanks very much. LATERS!!!!:gringo:

okay, i'm gettting pretty good alternating between the two feet at a slow pace with an even sound and stuff. YEY! but i was wondering, does the spring on the pedal or is the power glide bit ...( i dont really know does that have to be thightened to a particular tension for beginners or is it just general preference? because at the moment i'm using them quite loose and i am finding it quite difficult. or am i just making no sense at all here? HEHE! :gringo:

okay' date=' i'm gettting pretty good alternating between the two feet at a slow pace with an even sound and stuff. YEY! but i was wondering, does the spring on the pedal or is the power glide bit ...( i dont really know does that have to be thightened to a particular tension for beginners or is it just general preference? because at the moment i'm using them quite loose and i am finding it quite difficult. or am i just making no sense at all here? HEHE! :gringo:[/quote']

There is no "correct" spring tension to use.

If you're playing at loose tension, as a minimum there's got to be enough tension in the spring to allow the beater to fully spring back after hitting the head. If you play at very high tension, the beater will spring back very quickly, and it will be difficult to keep control of the pedal. I would experiment in between these two extremes until you find something you're comfortable with.

There is no "correct" spring tension to use.

If you're playing at loose tension' date=' as a minimum there's got to be enough tension in the spring to allow the beater to fully spring back after hitting the head. If you play at very high tension, the beater will spring back very quickly, and it will be difficult to keep control of the pedal. I would experiment in between these two extremes until you find something you're comfortable with.[/quote']

okay, yeah, cool, I'll do that and thanks again for the advice. how long you been playing with DBP?:gringo:

okay' date=' yeah, cool, I'll do that and thanks again for the advice. how long you been playing with DBP?:gringo:[/quote']

about 17 years, but it's not something i practice very much these days, since I play mainly funk/soul music.....not much demand for DB blast-beats when you're playing Wilson Pickett tunes....