aberdeen-music

US Soldier sues Michael Moore for 40 million dollars

people who allow Michael Moore to dictate their beliefs are as shallow as those who allow Bush and Blair to do so as well.

I disagree vehemently with the war on Iraq, but not because Michael Moore tells me I should. I disagree because any intelligent individual could see thta it was a load of bollocks.

Sure, Saddam Hussein was a nasty shit of a dictator, but then if that was really our motive, why was Tony Blair offering him the chance to remain in power if he gave up his (non-existent) WMD? Removal of Saddam only became the rationale when the Bush/Blair team realised that they were going to end up in deep shit.

Frankly this law-suit reeks of the usual US litigous "I'll sue your ass" bullshit. The guy doesn't have a case, and frankly his wife can get to fuck as well.

It is a shining beacon of democracy is it not, where you can sue whoever you want for however much you want.

And daveofficer is correct, Moore can use NBC footage as much as, and in whatever way, he likes as long as he has THEIR permission. If he interviewed the soldier direct then there would be a case, but he didn't and so there is no case to answer.

If the judge is a Republican though, then Moore is fucked.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you not think that losing both arms on active service is bad enough without someone with whom you disagree wilfully manipulating your words and likeness in order to make a political point? I'd be raging.

He didn't give consent to Moore to use the footage. Moore bought it off the news network that originally filmed it.

Tough shit. His words were not manipulated as in changed. It was selective editing. As I already said, would you speak to the Sun and expect a word for word transcription?

Anything to say about his wife's claim? Piss take

What a fucking sham (not to be mixed with shame) !!

Michael Moore is a quality guy, he has gone out of his way time and time again to make the errors of the Government in America easy to swallow for the stupid cunts living there.

People say this and that about him. That's shit fae a'body who say's that. I've read all 3 of his books and he has done nothing but brought the home truths of America and make them digestable for us all to look into without having to trace countless companies and money laundering systems along the way.

And for this tit to be suing him,... a joke! An absolute mockery of everything.

"Good night America, remember to keep drinking beer and watching mind-numbing tv so we can create havoc across the World.. and the best bit about it is.. You don't know these countries even exist..Night !!"

Guest bluesxman

Given that he was sent there by his Government to fight a 'war' and their equipment failure is why he suffered his injuries, shouldn't he be seeking adequate compensation and guarantee of a means of supporting a good standard of living for himself and his wife from the Government? Probably knows he will get nowhere or very little by that route and so is using a rather dubious claim against a high profile media figure to obtain what should be his anyway by official channels. Then again, there is no explanation for why the tyre exploded. Could it be that he actually f**ked up and overinflated it, in doing so leaving himself as the reason for his injuries and so losing any chance of claiming from the Government?

A $40m claim seems rather excessive no matter what his injuries. And I agree with Hog, the wife trying to claim an additional $10m is just taking the piss. Why not just seek an apology from Moore for using his footage out of context? Surely that would highlight that his quote was used in a manner that he disagreed with? No money that way of course so oportunism beckons....

Fire on chief.

I happen to agree with Dave. Firstly how can anybody possibly take seriuosly somebody who types in an Aberdonian accent?

Michael Moore has not reported the truth. He has reported is own polarised view of the events. I would be interesting to see what kind of reaction your post would recieve on an American forum.

I happen to agree with Dave. Firstly how can anybody possibly take seriuosly somebody who types in an Aberdonian accent?

Michael Moore has not reported the truth. He has reported is own polarised view of the events. I would be interesting to see what kind of reaction your post would recieve on an American forum.

he's not a reporter though, he's a filmmaker. until we get full disclosure from all those involved(governments, not michael moore) we probably won't know what the truth is.

he's not a reporter though' date=' he's a filmmaker. until we get full disclosure from all those involved(governments, not michael moore) we probably won't know what the truth is.[/quote']

You are right, but he presents his films, or propaganda, as investigative journalism. We will never know the truth about it, and neither will Michael Moore.

You are right' date=' but he presents his films, or propaganda, as investigative journalism. We will never know the truth about it, and neither will Michael Moore.[/quote']

i don't think he's ever presented himself as neutral though. he's always been very clear about which side of the fence he sits on and with farenheit 9/11 what the aim of that film was, weaken george bush before the election and expose some of the dodgy goings on to the general public. it does verge on propaganda but it's very well done and never claimed to be much else. i just don't think you can single out michael moore when talking about such things, particularly if you're then going to defend the action in iraq.

i'm not saying you can't defend the action in iraq at all, of course you can, it's just that the agressors used a propaganda and misinformation to further their own causes as much and probably more so than one prominent american filmmaker.

i really don't think you or dave can claim michael moore is solely responsible for polarising opinions on the issue. war tends to manage that all on it's own.

it's ironic that aside from raising his profile the farenheit 9/11 stuff has probably harmed moore's reputation more than any other film. before that he'd actually acheived proper successes through his filmmaking(didn't he manage to get k-mart to withdraw guns and ammo from their shelves or something?) which though still sensationalist has always been very effective.

as for the soldier, who knows his real reasons for sueing moore. obviously it's distressing to lose both your arms. but is that really moores fault? as said before he didn't need the soldiers permission and didn't change what the soldier said, he just placed them out of context. this could have been a simple misunderstanding on moores part or a cynical editing ploy. i'm not sure how you could prove that though or if there's any recourse for it. people have been cutting up images, speeches and music for years and placing it out of context for their own ends. if the soldier wins it could have dire consequences for creativity but perhaps good consequences for the rights of vulnerable people being interviewed.

Michael Moore is not resposible for polarising opinion, he only puts across his own polarised opinion. I am not going to defend the actions in Iraq.

I don't think that Farenheit 9/11 was at all well done. To me it came across more like a spoof documentary than a serious piece of work.

The concerning thing is that the average IQ in the majority of states that voted for Bush is less than 100. If those people can be sucked in by Bush's propaganda, think what effect that of Moore's could have.....

The concerning thing is that the average IQ in the majority of states that voted for Bush is less than 100. If those people can be sucked in by Bush's propaganda' date=' think what effect that of Moore's could have.....[/quote']

a more liberal president with better policies on the environment, human rights and foreign policy?

sounds okay to me :)

it seems nbc didn't get a release for the soldiers interview.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/Guardian/0,,1788634,00.html

i guess he should be suing nbc then, not moore. perhaps the fact he gave the interview was a release in itself, he surely can't claim he didn't know it would be on tv after giving an interview to a tv crew. and givent he can't sign anything anyway wouldn't that have to suffice?

The concerning thing is that the average IQ in the majority of states that voted for Bush is less than 100. If those people can be sucked in by Bush's propaganda' date=' think what effect that of Moore's could have.....[/quote']

I'd say that the last comment is more of a reason to actually have someone like Moore. There is a deference afforded to the President in America that we don't share with our Prime Minister in Britain (people are more likely to have faith in the President due to his position), so even if it is an overtly populist approach, Moore will present a point of view with facts and statistics that a lot of those people will have been unaware of.

Michael Moore is not resposible for polarising opinion' date=' he only puts across his own polarised opinion. I am not going to defend the actions in Iraq.[/quote']

He has his opinion, but seeks to present it with facts and statistics, though not always as much as a journalist should. But his roots seem to be more in taking direct action to highlight things that he think are wrong, as was seen in his TV programmes. Moore tries to provoke a response from those he confronts, and also from the audience, which is different from straight news-reporting, I don't think he's ever denied the difference.

I might not always agree with everything he says, but I admire the fact that he has the balls to go out and confront the issue, rather than sit at home and bitch about it while doing bugger all. I don't think Farenheit 9/11 was his best work by a long way, but it certainly made a few people I know think about the war in a different way, which is probably what he was aiming for.

I'd say that the last comment is more of a reason to actually have someone like Moore. There is a deference afforded to the President in America that we don't share with our Prime Minister in Britain (people are more likely to have faith in the President due to his position)' date=' so even if it is an overtly populist approach, Moore will present a point of view with facts and statistics that a lot of those people will have been unaware of.[/quote']

But in the states that have the >100 average IQ, people will just not understand the message, and not be able to form opinions based on the kind style Moore uses to present his views. I would expect that Moore's message would be further misconstrued, and sometimes ignored leading to the word of Mr President taken even more as gospel.

I'm just wondering which or how many of the various political/interest groups that have run a variety of anti-Moore/his films campaigns in recent years are lining-up behind the scenes to fund the soldier's case?

Someone being used to serve the interests of others anyone?

It's entirely obvious that Michael Moore presents one-sided, cleverly edited arguments in his books and films. Propaganda, yes.

It's also entirely obvious that he doesn't *lie* (unless someone would like to present some deliberate factual inaccuracies from any of his films or books?)

AKM

But in the states that have the >100 average IQ' date=' people will just not understand the message, and not be able to form opinions based on the kind style Moore uses to present his views. I would expect that Moore's message would be further misconstrued, and sometimes ignored leading to the word of Mr President taken even more as gospel.[/quote']

that's a ridiculous argument. moore's style is tailored to be easily understood by all, he's the everyman of documentary filmmaking. to say people of a low iq can't understand the message and so will blindly follow the government is silly. moore's films and books are almost low brow in their approach to journalism and use direct, confrontational techniques to showcase his arguments rather than laying them out through complex monologues like other documentarians. moore makes films specifically aimed at low attention spans, low iq americans yet is made out to be this bastion of middle class dissent by those he opposes.

and either way, it's not moore's fault people are stupid. that's a goverments responsibility.

I'm surprised there's so many anti-Moore feelings on here.

Yes, the guy is single minded, and presents a very one sided argument. Yes, he interprets things his way, and presents it as "the only way". And his films use a lot of innuendo and suggestion, but sometimes it takes a person to have an opinion and just go for it, believe in themselves and promote that view as widely and single mindedly as possible.

It will inevitably not be a well rounded view and will have holes in it, but at least he's sticking to what he believes, and not just sitting on the fence. How you then interpret what he is saying is the important part. You have to take it with an element of suspicion and caution, but at least he gets people thinking and talking about issues. Surely that's a good thing.

The comment about the judge being republican is interesting...how would that work exactly? If it gets to court and so on, surely cases involving politics should have a special procedure so the partiality of the judge isn't an issue.

I know nothing about judicial systems in America, so maybe there already is but does anyone know?

Bowling for Columbine was a very good film, but it was easier to like because there was an obvious enemy.

Farenheit 9/11 is obviously Propaganda, but that's because it is Moore's view on the state of the USA. People in this country aren't going to leap and up and start defending gun ownership (as attacked by BfC) as it's not a big part of our culture. Yet war is pretty important to everyone anywhere. He didn't so much twist the facts, as fail to give both sides of the story.

I'm not sure about this soldier guy's chances though. Other people must have tried to sue Moore already, and as far as I'm aware, he's still wiping his generously sized arse with twenties.

The comment about the judge being republican is interesting...how would that work exactly? If it gets to court and so on' date=' surely cases involving politics should have a special procedure so the partiality of the judge isn't an issue.

I know nothing about judicial systems in America, so maybe there already is but does anyone know?[/quote']

If the judicary is decided in the same way at all court levels in the United States, then judges are political appointments. Seems ridiculous to me, anyway. It might make more sense in the context that there's countless courts of appeal - it seems that the United States doesn't have a court that can definitively rule on something and serve as an "end" - but it's beyond my understanding.

People who sue for such ridiculous sums deserve nothing' date=' I'm sorry but nobody needs 40 million dollars to get over 4-5 second clip which helps the Bush administration look bad.

A press statement and a public apology is all that's needed from Moore imho. The man is making himself look like an idiot.[/quote']

There american what do you expect? yes im being highly hypocritical but the basis of most law cases in america for compensation are pathetic because they have such a screwed up court of justice