aberdeen-music

encores

shaun

they're so stupidly predictable.

why do genuinely good bands continue to go through this corny routine of going off stage only to return in 3 minutes to play again? of course, they always play that song they didn't play but you thought they'd play. it's rubbish! they're creative people, surely they can think of another way of exciting the crowd?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they're so stupidly predictable.

why do genuinely good bands continue to go through this corny routine of going off stage only to return in 3 minutes to play again? of course' date=' they always play that song they didn't play but you thought they'd play. it's rubbish! they're creative people, surely they can think of another way of exciting the crowd?[/quote']

gives them the chance to have a little break, talk about anything going wrong etc, have a drink, get back onstage if anything else

gives them the chance to have a little break' date=' talk about anything going wrong etc, have a drink, get back onstage if anything else[/quote']

hahaha, you're right! leaving the stage to do an encore DOES give them the change to get back onstage. I mean, what?!

Bands can discuss things going wrong during a set, if its anything serious I doubt they'd wait until the last few songs to discuss it. Its also really easy to have a drink onstage, between songs. Plus, if bands need a break before playing 2/3 more songs, they're pretty rubbish, really.

I agree with Shaun. Encores are rubbish, its better when bands play a set then leave.

of course i like to hear more songs from bands i like' date=' but couldn't they try to do it in a more original way?[/quote']

you mean like get another band to come on after them, and play their songs ?....

how else are they going to do it?

I guess they could dress as a bogus german rock band, and come back and play a song no one has ever heard before, and rock out till every comes....now that...he he, I'd like to be a part of.

They can easily add the songs they'd play for the encore at the end of their set.

not every band is full of super heroes who can play all night. theres nothing wrong with stopping and taking a break to compose them selves for the last couple of songs. look at football games they have a break at half time, why cant muso's?

Guest lime ruined my life
They can easily add the songs they'd play for the encore at the end of their set.

to use a nice cliche. i think it's just a case of not knowing what you have till it's gone. i'm not sure an extra long set is quite as good as a shorter set, with a bit extra added if the crowd wants it, it gives the crowd a feeling of interaction!

what's so wrong with rock cliches??

*edit* i'm not sure how much i agree with doing multiple encores with heaps of songs, radiohead have a tendancy to test this boundary.

it may be a great surprise for someones first ever gig who dont know anything about encores, also for bands that are good enough to get the crowd going really well, it gives them a chance for the crowd to calm down a bit, maybe tie their shoe laces etc. How come everything on this forum turns into heated arguments, yeah you are so stupid coz you think encores are good ideas, come on

why play long sets anyway? i hate when bands(even super massive favourite bands who have extensive back catalogues) play for over an hour let alone those few who play for over 2 hours.

encores do suck, they're such a sham. just play a set and finish. as lime says if the crowd are begging for more then work it out while you're still onstage instead of going off and coming on again. if you need a break don't play every pseudo hit you think you've had or work out a bit more. i hear jogging is good.

really?

how many sets have you done that have been over an hour or two before?

That has to be one of the most idiotic things ever said on here.

Yes, really. Whilst I can understand that playing an (overly) long set might get tiring, I don't understand why bands would need to take a break if they're only going to play a few more songs. Football matches don't have a break 5 or 10 minutes before the end, do they? Nor do theatre productions, or anything else I can think of.

I have played one set that I think was over an hour, or an hour thereabouts.

As for your third comment, I don't think thats a very nice thing to say.

it may be a great surprise for someones first ever gig who dont know anything about encores' date=' also for bands that are good enough to get the crowd going really well, it gives them a chance for the crowd to calm down a bit, maybe tie their shoe laces etc. How come everything on this forum turns into heated arguments, yeah you are so stupid coz you think encores are good ideas, come on[/quote']

So bands play encores to surprise first time gig-goers? What next, pyro in the toilets? That'll surprise them too.

I don't see how this is turning into a heated argument, or how anyone has called you stupid (although one of my posts was referred to as 'idiotic'). Music DISCUSSION forum. Music DISCUSSION forum. Music DISCUSSION forum. Music DISCUSSION forum.

Yes' date=' really. Whilst I can understand that playing an (overly) long set might get tiring, I don't understand why bands would need to take a break if they're only going to play a few more songs. Football matches don't have a break 5 or 10 minutes before the end, do they? Nor do theatre productions, or anything else I can think of.

I have played one set that I think was over an hour, or an hour thereabouts.

As for your third comment, I don't think thats a very nice thing to say.[/quote']

because the parts of gigs people remember most are the first few songs and the last few songs, generaly speaking, you want to perform these songs the best hence why you pay one of your best first and one of your best last. taking a short break lets you gather your breath before going back and performing one of your best to the best of your ability, not trying to play it when you are shattered and are not going to perform it the best you can.

As for your football reference, fuck off, what the hell has that got to do with anything? Completely different situaton altogether.

Also ill think youll find most theater productions do incorperate breaks throughout the show.

your point is still fucking stupid.

because the parts of gigs people remember most are the first few songs and the last few songs' date=' generaly speaking, you want to perform these songs the best hence why you pay one of your best first and one of your best last. taking a short break lets you gather your breath before going back and performing one of your best to the best of your ability, not trying to play it when you are shattered and are not going to perform it the best you can.

As for your football reference, fuck off, what the hell has that got to do with anything? Completely different situaton altogether.

Also ill think youll find most theater productions do incorperate breaks throughout the show.

your point is still fucking stupid.[/quote']

the football reference, i'm pretty sure, has to do with the amount of energy both performers use throughout their show/match.

as for the theatre comment, he stated a break 5-10 minutes before the end.

and still, SURELY you don't think artists use encores so they can have a little rest before playing some more songs?

because the parts of gigs people remember most are the first few songs and the last few songs' date=' generaly speaking, you want to perform these songs the best hence why you pay one of your best first and one of your best last. taking a short break lets you gather your breath before going back and performing one of your best to the best of your ability, not trying to play it when you are shattered and are not going to perform it the best you can.

i think you're being more than a little bit harsh here.

i hate to get pedantic but considering the quality of your spelling(not too mention the petty swearing) it's you who's coming across as stupid.

theatre productions incorporate breaks for a variety of different reasons many of which aren't comparable to a gig situation. the intermission is as much for the audience as the production staff aside from facilitating changes in scenery, costume, tempo and mood. a better comparison would be the interval between bands in a gig situation and the intermission of a theatre production.

bands can easily keep energy in reserve for their closing numbers through clever construcion of their setlist and not by taking a wee break before an encore. they might not deserve an encore anyway and i think part of the contempt some folks hold for encores is due to the presumption of bands that they merit one.

Careful Mr Milner, play nice...

I think his point is fair enough, actually. The point of encores has surely never been to give the band a wee break before finishing off their set, has it? As far as I was aware an encore is when the band have finished their 'show', then go off, but the crowd demand to see a bit more. So the band come back on to do one or two more because the crowd have demanded it.

I hate when bands obviously plan for an encore. The decision whether an encore is played or not is not yours to make...

Things I could have done in order to continue this debate, which has now, thanks to you, turned into the heated argument Marc was discussing earlier:

a) Pulled you up on your spelling - not to be pedantic, but to highlight the irony in your calling my posts 'idiotic' and 'stupid.'

b) Referred to your unnecessary use of swearing to get your point across.

c) Your inability to understand my point, which lets face it, is pretty simple to understand. I’m hardly using comparisons which are out of reach or understanding to anyone, am I?