aberdeen-music

Knife Crime.

Sue Denim..

What do folks think of this?

Personally I think that carrying a knife is only a crime if you intend to threaten or use it.

As a techie sort of person, I carry a knife as a matter of course (yes, even when I go out as that's the point of a portable folding combi-tool). I'd hate to be criminalised for carrying what I consider to be a tool around.

And don't come out with..."So it's alright to carry a gun so long as you don't use it." A gun is a weapon, not a tool.

Would it be a criminal offence to buy some cutlery knives and get lifted by the cops on the way home?

What do folks think of this?

Personally I think that carrying a knife is only a crime if you intend to threaten or use it.

As a techie sort of person' date=' I carry a knife as a matter of course (yes, even when I go out as that's the point of a portable folding combi-tool). I'd hate to be criminalised for carrying what I consider to be a tool around.

And don't come out with..."So it's alright to carry a gun so long as you don't use it." A gun is a weapon, not a tool.

Would it be a criminal offence to buy some cutlery knives and get lifted by the cops on the way home?[/quote']

you're allowed to carry a penknife. if you don't need to carry a knife then you could get done for having one but i think mainly it's things like hunting knives that they'll do you for rather than a swiss army knife.

personally i don't think anyone need carry anything bigger than a swiss army knife round aberdeen and only for things like opening boxes or other handy things. the sale of knives bigger than penknife size should be restricted in some way. thee's just too much knife crime around to justify the free sale of them. i don't know if there's a feasible way of doing this right now though.

Guest b-bert

you are allowed to carry a knife as long as it is under 2 1/2" i thought. Anyway i doubt the police are going to confuse electricians (or whatever) with neds.

I live in Tillydrone and I know a lot of my neighbours have samurai swords and such like in their flat for 'security' which seems a bit extreme to me (especially when the council make the front doors so sturdy). I don't think though, that there is a very big problem with people carrying knives about in Aberdeen yet, I dont know anyone that carries a knife round with them (and know more than a few chavs/neds)

The way I look at it is (I might not explain this very well so bear with me) that people who carry knives seem to fight/scuffle with other folk with knives for the most part. If there is a stabbing of some innocent person, then the person doing the stabbing is clearly mental and would of probably found some other weapon to use if they didn't have a knife.

sue denim - you don't need tov carry a knife with you when you aren't working though.

Of course if a techie eorson is on duty/ working then they nedd a knife..the sad thing is that in today's society there are alot of people who could be capable of pulling out their tool and killing someone if a fit of rage.

sue denim - you don't need tov carry a knife with you when you aren't working though.

Of course if a techie eorson is on duty/ working then they nedd a knife..the sad thing is that in today's society there are alot of people who could be capable of pulling out their tool and killing someone if a fit of rage.

I can just imagine it "right, I'm gonna stab you, hold on a sec....damn, wish I hadn't cut my nails earlier....Oh shit, that's the fish descaler, hang on...here we are....where was I?"

Thats my point - If someone is angry & evil enough to stab someone, then the posession of a knife is irrelevant, they would just find another weapon, be it a cosh or a glass or whatever. If someone is nuts enough to kill/hurt someone, they will find a way unfortunately

Thats my point - If someone is angry & evil enough to stab someone' date=' then the posession of a knife is irrelevant, they would just find another weapon, be it a cosh or a glass or whatever. If someone is nuts enough to kill/hurt someone, they will find a way unfortunately[/quote']

fair point.

Yup, other than an awareness thing, I doubt the campaign will have much impact. I doubt this part of the world is where they really mean to target tho?

Those determined to behave maliciously will either ignore it or find another way - I've already heard one guy brag about switching to Nunchucks!

Still, if it cuts down the amount of knives in curculation, I suppose that in itself is OK? Would be a bit pissed if they decided to confiscate my penknife/multitool tho. I use it often.

I use it often.

8o note to self: don't piss off pogofish.

it looks good on the news to see a policeman talking a reporter through all the types of knife that've been handed in but i'm also skeptical that it'll do a great deal to reduce knife attacks. i thought it'd been established that the majority of weapons handed in during an amnesty are from people who are less likely to use them on other people? i suppose even then' date=' as pogofish said, its beneficial in that the less knives out there, the better. Surely the people more deeply embroiled in knife carrying culture (i didn't really want to say "with a more flippant attitude to stabbing people" but...) will hang on to theirs though?

i could be wrong though - it has been known to happen.

also. [i']'kin hell at the CCTV footage of the two NEDs recently attacking the two other guys.

But the whole point of owning a Leatherman tool or a Swiss Army knife is that it's carried around all the time and comes in handy when you need it. When I'm working I use the correct tool for the job, certainly not a combi-tool.

But the whole point of owning a Leatherman tool or a Swiss Army knife is that it's carried around all the time and comes in handy when you need it. When I'm working I use the correct tool for the job' date=' certainly not a combi-tool.[/quote']

Do you have much need for a combi-tool while sitting having a pint?

there are statistics which suggest that those carrying knives are twice as likely to get stabbed but i think this is more in reference to carrying a knife and having a willingness to use it than carrying a tool of some kind. i have my leatherman with me when i'm gigging because it's handy but i certainly don't carry it about all the time. i don't think it's a very god idea to have a kinfe on you at times when it'll almost certainly not be required but the kinds of people who find themselves in this situation are not the same as the kind of people who carry knives around for protection or with the intent to use it in some way offensively.

/x

I live in Tillydrone and I know a lot of my neighbours have samurai swords and such like in their flat for 'security' which seems a bit extreme to me (especially when the council make the front doors so sturdy). I don't think though' date=' that there is a very big problem with people carrying knives about in Aberdeen yet, I dont know anyone that carries a knife round with them (and know more than a few chavs/neds)

The way I look at it is (I might not explain this very well so bear with me) that people who carry knives seem to fight/scuffle with other folk with knives for the most part. If there is a stabbing of some innocent person, then the person doing the stabbing is clearly mental and would of probably found some other weapon to use if they didn't have a knife.[/quote']

So what your saying is why bother about it as long as the knife carriers look for other knife carriers to stab....and if your mad you might as well carry a knife because you'll just use something else if you dont have yer blade.....o_O

So what your saying is why bother about it as long as the knife carriers look for other knife carriers to stab....and if your mad you might as well carry a knife because you'll just use something else if you dont have yer blade.....o_O

Yeah - you got it :laughing:

I think it's too complex a subject - I sway between opinions......

I carry a wee swiss army knife (one of these to be exact) in my pocket most of the time, maybe not an essential thing to have, but a small blade/screwdriver/scissors are useful to have about on you for odd things. hell, even all the US astronauts get a swiss army knife as part of their mission ket when they get shot into space...

I am guessing all the knife stuff would mostly overlook small tools like these in favour of going after things more likely to be used as weapons (obviously you could still hurt someone with one, but it dosen't look as dangerous as a 5 inch blade)

I am guessing the 'more stabbings with knife users' bit is more based on neds getting into fights - someone pulls a knife out drinking in town and gets a more extreme reaction from those about than someone swinging punches (ie someone else is a bit more likely to bring out a weapon too) I really can't see how me having a tiny penknife hidden in my pocket makes me anymore of a target

Looking at the victorinox site makes me want to buy more knives :D

(in the manly 'knives are cool' sense, not in the I want to carry weapons about sense)

David