aberdeen-music

Red Hot Chili Peppers/Tom Petty - can you tell the difference?

RF Scott

yeah but what the similarities in the vocals' date=' the tempo?

the songs?[/quote']

Thing is, it's just very very unlikely.

RHCP released a double album. I can't see Frusciante kickin' back with 27 songs, having a wee listen to Tom Petty and thinking 'hmm, I'm completely out of ideas, and hell, 28's a nice even number'. Then just to be cheeky bastards, they'd decide to release it as their first single.

It's more likely that it was a subconcious accident. A very expensive accident, but it was unlikely a mallicious thing.

Guest bluesxman

It does sound suspiciously similar but not an exact copy. Tom Petty isn't really the most widely heard artist to plagiarise from is he? Or maybe he's still more heard over in the US of A

It does sound suspiciously similar but not an exact copy. Tom Petty isn't really the most widely heard artist to plagiarise from is he? Or maybe he's still more heard over in the US of A

He's a lot more popular in the US. In fact, he's playing shows with Pearl Jam this summer so I'd say he's well known to "alternative" artists (i use that term loosely!).

Listening to the MP3 I can't help but think there's also a similarity to Blur's "Country House". I'd have to hear them together to confirm that though.

Guest bluesxman
He's a lot more popular in the US. In fact' date=' he's playing shows with Pearl Jam this summer so I'd say he's well known to "alternative" artists (i use that term loosely!).

Listening to the MP3 I can't help but think there's also a similarity to Blur's "Country House". I'd have to hear them together to confirm that though.[/quote']

Ah fair do's, hadn't read much about him at all lately, wasn't sure if he was actually still making music.

TRHCP are just a very bad and dull version of themsleves now! Boring repetitive dirge!

I have a soft spot for them like but wouldn't buy any of their material now...

And to be honest Tom Petty or otherwise it's the same song they have been peddling for a few years now. They run out of ideas a while back!

TRHCP are just a very bad and dull version of themsleves now! Boring repetitive dirge!

I have a soft spot for the like but wouldn't buy any of their material now...

And to be honest Tom Petty or otherwise it's the same song they have been peddling for a few years now. They run out of ideas a while back!

It's hard to disagree with that assessment, to be honest. I bought the new CD (only a tenner) and wasn't particulary enamoured by it. My mate asked me what I thought and all I could say was "Too long" - each song seemed to blend into the next & nothing stood out.

It's a shame - round about MOthers Milk / BSSM they were quite exciting - now they just seem like a standard rock band.

And as for the title "Stadium Arcadium".... horrible!

Thing is' date=' it's just very very unlikely.

RHCP released a double album. I can't see Frusciante kickin' back with 27 songs, having a wee listen to Tom Petty and thinking 'hmm, I'm completely out of ideas, and hell, 28's a nice even number'. Then just to be cheeky bastards, they'd decide to release it as their first single.

It's more likely that it was a subconcious accident. A very expensive accident, but it was unlikely a mallicious thing.[/quote']

Have to agree that it was probably sunconcious or just pure chance. I think it happens all the time in music. E.g. The verses in the Streets song about going to Church or some shit like that is exact same chords as Let It Be by the Beatles. At least the rapping is different!

Just depends on whether the powers at be pick up on it and then decide to sue.(which is more than likely decided by 5 grey suited men sitting round a table rather than Petty himself)