aberdeen-music

My parents holiday photos

Lemonade

There's a 'Nelson Mandela Place' in Glasgow' date=' which is pretty damn ace![/quote']

nelson mandela place has a funny story to it. margaret thatcher was coming to visit the city when she was PM and due to her treatment of the delicate situation regarding mandela and apartheid, the councillors decided it'd be funny to rush through a plan to change the name of a place right in the middle of town to NM Place! And so it remains today!

/x

Guest DustyDeviada

Alan Cynic and I passed Joey Ramone place last year on our way to CBGBs.

I'm surprised your parents were happy to do it, it seemed to be a fairly dodgy area. To me at least, Alan seemed right at home. ;)

Alan Cynic and I passed Joey Ramone place last year on our way to CBGBs.

I'm surprised your parents were happy to do it' date=' it seemed to be a fairly dodgy area. To me at least, Alan seemed right at home. ;)[/quote']

Yeah, I've been there too. The area is getting much better - only CBGBs and the homless hostel beside it are shitey places.

It was definitely open a month ago, when I strolled past. As Dusty says, I feel pretty safe in the general area, but am wary once past Avenue C. When I took Mr & Mrs Dusty to CBGBs we were in danger of being zimmered to death.....the average age must've been 70 at least (no joke!).

I felt totally at home :)

Guest DustyDeviada
There was that strange' date=' stale and uriney 'old people' smell too, but that was just Dusty :)[/quote']

Not true! It was the wife. ;)

• 3 months later...
Guest DustyDeviada

Patti Smith to play final CBGBs show.

`CBGB` club to be bare when doors close

Sep 20, 2006, 18:57 GMT

NEW YORK, NY, United States (UPI) -- CBGB founder Hilly Kristal says he will strip New York`s legendary punk music club to the walls when it closes next month.

The club`s final night is scheduled Oct. 15, not Sept. 30 as previously reported, the New York Post said Wednesday. Patti Smith is scheduled to sing the last gig with her longtime guitarist Lenny Kaye.

Although the club`s initials stand for country, bluegrass and blues, CBGB became famous for such acts as the Ramones, Television, Blondie and the Talking Heads.

Kristal, who lost his fight to save the club, has until Halloween to clear out CBGB and CB`s Gallery next door before turning the property over to his landlords, the Bowery Residents` Committee, the newspaper said. Kristal said the items will remain in New York or possibly be shipped to Las Vegas, where he is looking into opening a club in 2008.

http://music.monstersandcritics.com/news/article_1203432.php/%60CBGB%60_club_to_be_bare_when_doors_close

• 4 weeks later...