aberdeen-music

tips for opening jars

Chris

If the jar is new, use a triangular-tipped bottle opener to apply pressure and break the vacuum seal. Do this by placing the triangular tip underneath the lid and pulling the lid away from the jar until you pop the seal.

Wrap rubber bands around the lid for better grip.

If the lid still won't budge, run the lid (not the jar) under hot water for a minute. This will cause the metal lid to expand so it comes off easily.

Or you could just have a bag of crisps instead.

crisps are unhealthy (I'm on an 8 week health challenge just now), gherkins are not.

marigolds didn't work, neither did tapping the lid off the counter. I tried prying the sides with a teaspoon and that didn't pop the vacuum. So it's time for the hot water.

Guest Laura@TMB
yeah the hot water thing is good.

the quickest way though is to just bang the side of the lid on your work surface. this will loosen it.. :-) trust me

i dont mean smash it either just a wee dunt...

Even better, bang the edge of the lid a couple of times on something very hard, concrete step eg, is best. Trust me, this will work every time :up:

Edited to add - this will only work for screw-top lids off course. If it's a "pop-off" (?) lid, like tins of shoe-polish used to have - then take a 2 pence piece and prize lid open from it's underside in 3 different places, and hey presto.

Ps:- I can't believe I'm actually typing this shit!

Hah, I can't believe there is a thread about opening jars today.

Last night I was making bolognese for a couple of friends and one of them decided to be helpful and undo the lid. I didn't see her do this and picked it up really quickly and spilt it everywhere. Even on my slippers, I was quite upset.

It's not the end of the world though, the slippers cleaned up AND we still have enough to cook with.

I find the best thing to do is struggle for ages, then take it to someone who would, without fail, make you feel like a fool if they were able to open it themselves (see: Grandma, small child, little sister etc).

Sods law dictates that they will open it with ease, forcing you to embark on an argument about how successful you were in loosening it in the first place.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

It's easy, just hold the jar against your chest with the hand you're not using to open it. Now, curl the opening hand around the jar so your fingertips are facing your chest. Now open the thing, it's all in the leverage. If you still can't open it, I'll come round and open the bastard for you.

trust me jake I was getting good leverage. normally jars don't bother me at all.

anyway I managed to pop the vacuum by prying the side using a flathead screwdriver. Once the vacuum was gone it was a piece of piss to open. Although now all the gherkins are warm after I put the jar in a sink of boiling hot water...