aberdeen-music

found an entire Bonnie Prince Billy gig on youtube

framheim

that's some really nice stuff. i've not heard anything by him before. might have to look into it further.

/x

you'll have to take out a mortgage for his back catalogue!

master and everyone & I see a darkness are a good place to start

(Cue Neill B to tell us what to get "first" (as "everything" will be the ultimate answer!))

yea i've got a fair few of his albums but still see ones i need to get all the time.

i'd say definitely start with i see a darkness. superwolf with matt sweeney is a cracker as well. lost blues and other songs is a good intro to the palace period.

I have never heard him either so I watched a You tube vid of him in a car and it was a sunny day, he is obviously singing about a women who didnt show any respect. Ace lyrics. Hopefully better than that boring Tool album I bought last week, sorry Lepeep, didnt do anything for me.

I have never heard him either so I watched a You tube vid of him in a car and it was a sunny day' date=' he is obviously singing about a women who didnt show any respect. Ace lyrics. Hopefully better than that boring Tool album I bought last week, sorry Lepeep, didnt do anything for me.[/quote']

I hope you bought undertow ? and not the new one...

Guest bluesxman

I only had his solo stuff, didn't know where to start on Palace and had heard it was a bit dodgy but got 'Viva Last Blues' second hand in One Up last week for 4.99, it's OK! Refuse to pay the high prices for the other Palace albums though will just have to pick em up cheap when possible.

I only had his solo stuff' date=' didn't know where to start on Palace and had heard it was a bit dodgy but got 'Viva Last Blues' second hand in One Up last week for 4.99, it's OK! Refuse to pay the high prices for the other Palace albums though will just have to pick em up cheap when possible.[/quote']

the palace stuff isn't dodgy it's just that some of it's very lo-fi. it's certainly quirkier in places as well, probably a sign of yoof. there's still some crackers in there though like 'riding'.

some links to help you decide what to look into

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=WILL|OLDHAM&sql=11:ahl67ub080jf~T0

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:14rv286c056a

I've got Viva last blues (palace), and it is pretty raw, but fantastic, some really stripped down swampy blues...I remember hearing the Ice (broadrick / martin) remix of 'More Brother Rides', thinking it was some obscure 1920's swamp / bluegrass record they'd mashed up...but nope, recorded in the 90's...

a good remix, and a damn fine original too!

no' date=' tool...you said you were dissapointed by the tool LP you bought...

try and pick up "opiate" (the first EP), by tool...it's completely different to the later "prog rock" nonsense.[/quote']

Cool cool, will give that a go:up:

no' date=' tool...you said you were dissapointed by the tool LP you bought...

try and pick up "opiate" (the first EP), by tool...it's completely different to the later "prog rock" nonsense.[/quote']

opiate's definintly the best album. Also, it's funny to listen to the little extra bit after the song opiate when you're drunk! :up:

you'll have to take out a mortgage for his back catalogue!

master and everyone & I see a darkness are a good place to start

(Cue Neill B to tell us what to get "first" (as "everything" will be the ultimate answer!))

Err' date=' not quite!

I always recommend that Blue Lotus Feet (as you know) and Greatest Palace Music.

I'll admit I do have a hell of a lot of the early Palace stuff. I even have the continental op Slitch Music dvd/cd thang!

Viva Lost Blues is probably the best but Lost Blues, Joya and Arise Therefore also worth checking out.

The most comprehensive discography I've seen is here:

[url']http://users.bart.nl/%7Eljmeijer/oldham/

And yeah they can be decidely lo-fi, the more so the earlier you get...

Oh and if you feel the urge there is a french site which has lyrics/tab for most things which is here:

http://www.palace.free.fr/Tabs.htm

Word is that he's got a new album due out in 'the fall'.

To be honest I'm not quite sure what RF is on about re. GPM. Sure they are different (no point in releasing the same thing twice). It made me go back and pick up a couple Palace albums I didn't have to make an original GPM cd.

But in re-reading the post I would have to admit that I should have started off with the BPB album to start with is 'I See A Darkness', no doubt about it.

And if I recall 1-Up has it on special offer at the moment.

The Palace stuff is different from BPB. Seems to me that in adopting the new persona he threw off his inhibitions and allowed himself just to be. His vocals seems to have 'improved ' immeasurably since.