The Research + Kill baby Kill + colonopenbracket

The Research

+ KILL baby KILL + colonopenbracket

Monday 29th May

The Lemon Tree

6 (4 concessions & Regulars)

Doors Open: 8pm

Show Starts: 8.30pm

From Wakefield, The Research a highly unconventional trio who sweet-sounding pop with some truly dark lyrical preoccupations. Their debut national tour earlier this year (including

a great Lemon Tree show) saw them more than live up to the hype surrounding them and are now making major waves.

"Songwriters have driven themselves loopy looking for the perfect love song, yet all along three indie outsiders from Wakefield knew the secret ingredient" - NME

"tinny organs, crudely mixed bass and syncopating drums - that owes debts to Wire, Devo, Lene Lovich and, more recently, reductive art-rock nu-noiseniks such as The Others and Neil's Children." The Sunday Times

details on Lemon Tree website and purchase tickets online

Kill Baby...Kill

''Described by Radio 1s Vic Galloway as "simply impossible to interview" and by his co presenter Gill Mills as "A dirty and beautiful noise", the Paris/Aberdeen based pop experi-mentalists Kill Baby... Kill take influences from daytime television, shoes and international glamorous discothques. To date, their reputation is built entirely on a handful of live performances and some incendiary 2 Track cassette recordings (soonly available as downloads check myspace for updates). Lyrically bizarre and musically reckless the sound of K.B.K. is improbably satisfying, and acheives its mission - to completely disregard the rules of pop music.''

www.myspace.com/killbabykilluk

Kill Baby...Kill

''Described by Radio 1s Vic Galloway as "simply impossible to interview" and by his co presenter Gill Mills as "A dirty and beautiful noise"' date=' the Paris/Aberdeen based pop experi-mentalists Kill Baby... Kill take influences from daytime television, shoes and international glamorous discothques. To date, their reputation is built entirely on a handful of live performances and some incendiary 2 Track cassette recordings (soonly available as downloads check myspace for updates). Lyrically bizarre and musically reckless the sound of K.B.K. is improbably satisfying, and acheives its mission - to completely disregard the rules of pop music.''

[url']www.myspace.com/killbabykilluk

Sounds magic. Fa lives in Paris?

Guest bluesxman
nope it was Jims from the tunnels' idea....he said name your band after a 1950s scifi/horror movie

So is there actually a film called that? I thought it was maybe just kinda derived from Faster Pussycat Kill Kill.

yeh' date=' its obscure and I dont know anyone whos actually seen it....but it exists[/quote']

It stars Giacomo Rossi-Stuart, Erika Blanc and Fabienne Dali (as "Ruth The Sorceress") and is directed by Mario Bava.

it's actually called "Operazione Paura" in it's original Italian - it's US title was "Kill Baby... Kill" and it was called "Curse of the Dead" in the UK.

IMDB.com is your friend, people - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060794/

kill_baby_kill.jpg

kill.h3.jpg

It stars Giacomo Rossi-Stuart' date=' Erika Blanc and Fabienne Dali (as "Ruth The Sorceress") and is directed by Mario Bava.

it's actually called "Operazione Paura" in it's original Italian - it's US title was "Kill Baby... Kill" and it was called "Curse of the Dead" in the UK.

IMDB.com is your friend, people - [url']http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060794/

kill_baby_kill.jpg

kill.h3.jpg

have you seen it? is it any good?

Guest MKII
Would we get raped for copyright? Who knows.

It's certainly an idea though ;)

I wonder if the film is actually any good' date=' I'm tempted to buy it but it would upset me if it was rubbish.[/quote']

You could always use altered photos/images of yourselves in the style of those posters. A homage instead of a direct steal. ;)

Why name the band after a film you haven't seen though!?

Guest bluesxman
Would we get raped for copyright? Who knows.

It's certainly an idea though ;)

I wonder if the film is actually any good' date=' I'm tempted to buy it but it would upset me if it was rubbish.[/quote']

I've just looked at the IMDB link, it's directed by Mario Bava, who made some pretty nifty movies, one of the most well known Italian horror directors alongside Dario Argento, Blood And Black Lace being one of his films and a good one in my opinion. I think you would quite like his stuff, I seem to remember you appreciating Vincent Price goodies and the films I've seen of his have a similar over the top feel. House Of Wax is in FOPP for a fiver the now by the way!

Not sure about the copyright stuff, for local advertising anyway I think removing the actor and film stock listings and just using the title and the 'shocking!' bits would be cool :)

EDIT: Here for £3.75! http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/B000CRSFEE/all/203-6205432-7623139

Why name the band after a film you haven't seen though!?

We did consider simply stealing a name from a film that we had seen and really liked, but we knew before we tried, that we would never agree

It would have been like

Sharon Transformers The Movie or Spongebob Squarepants The Movie

Me - Starship Troopers or Magic Roundabout Dougal and the Blue Cat

Nik - Blade Runner or Barbarella

Dan European Pussy Lickers 7

Im not 100% sure if any of those would have worked as a band name.

Guest bluesxman
We did consider simply stealing a name from a film that we had seen and really liked' date=' but we knew before we tried, that we would never agree

It would have been like

Im not 100% sure if any of those would have worked as a band name.[/quote']

Dan's one would be a great band name. Maybe miss out the 7.

We did consider simply stealing a name from a film that we had seen and really liked' date=' but we knew before we tried, that we would never agree

It would have been like

Im not 100% sure if any of those would have worked as a band name.[/quote']

What, not even European Pussy Lickers 7? A friend of mine claims there's a film called Shit and Piss Kings 4 (so presumably Shit and Piss Kings 1, 2 and 3 too) - I hope he's wrong, but he's probably right.