aberdeen-music

What Grinds your Gears?

Benji

people who don't realise that the parkway between Tesco roundabout and the next roundabout has a 60 mph speed limit, not 40. Every single day there is a queue of traffic on that road due to one twat at the front with a clear road ahead but they're only doing 30 or 40 mph as they don't know what the white circle with a black line through it means.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't make me quote those government statistics that show that Aberdeen is projected to have one of the largest population declines in Scotland in coming years. That's right folks' date=' the ways are going Dundee will be a bigger city than Aberdeen in 10 - 20 years time. Now surely that must indicate something is wrong?[/quote']

Good - then all they people that don't like it here will have buggered off to live somewhere else, after sucking us dry, and leaving others to pick up the pieces. I look forward to that day.

This town was a much better, and prettier, place in the 70s, and even nicer in the 50s and 60s from the evidence I've seen on DVDs. It's just a pity that we can never return to really being a little fishing port 525 miles from London.

I have visited lots of cities. Most of them a God awful places. Utter shit holes. Coventry anyone???

Aberdeen does lack the facilities of Edinburgh and Glasgow. We've suffered badly from our council and city planners sucking the oil companies cock, and also letting the likes of Stewart Milne wage war against architecture. Go and look for a book entitled The Lost Architecture of Aberdeen to see what I mean. There are also some good nostalga DVDs out.

But Edinburgh and Glasgow are exceptional cities, much bigger than Aberdeen, and enjoy more cosmopolitan trappings. But it's not all roses - their slums are worse than ours. at least we don't have to drink out of plastic glasses.

One of Aberdeen's biggest problems is that Aberdonians don't speak out enough. In Edinburgh or Glasgow there would be an outcry if someone had suggested building the equivalent of Virginia Street above ground as opposed to a tunnel, knocking down a historic building, bulldozing the likes of Shore Brae to build a carpark, errecting the various multistorie flats slap bang in the city centre, replacing the Market with a carbunkle, the list is endless. But here is Aberdeen we just STFU and let them off with it, and a tidy profit tucked into their back pocket.

If someone doesn't like living somehwere, then they are at fault for not having the guts to move. Such a person is clearly an idiot. I stay here because I do like it. I even like the climate. And because I've actually visited so many other places that are much, much, much worse.

A lot of the anti-Aberdeen sentiments expressed here are little more than racisim and jealousy.

Is it just me.. or can people actually almost understand what seagulls are saying ??

Like they have this thing' date=' suspision of Humans tone.. kinda goes like.. Gu Gu Gu Gu Gu !! It's an annoying tone..

But not as annoying as those black & white things with Orange beaks..I can never remember them as a kid. And when they start squaking it sounds like an air raid siren waming up or something.

What are those things called anyways?[/quote']

Oyster Catchers I believe. Fucking annoying especially when they start up at 5am.

In anticipation of my first exam in little over 90 minutes I'd like to add wobbley chairs and desks in exam halls, people who sniff and don't blow their nose during exams/movies/general quiet time and people who eat loudly during exams/in the cinema. Can you not go without stuffing your face for that 2 or 3 hours you fat bastard? Jesus! And they don't eat something quiet, oh no! It's always starburst or something with heaps of paper to rustle.

Fuckers.

- Big Brother

- Windows XP

- People who come into my work who

-think that its my fault we dont stock something

-think I am responsible for every department

-think I have the power to change the prices

-give me their live story

-ask where the milk is after being in the store for 3 seconds

-insist I still check in the back for something that I am 100% is not there

-ask me for wine advice

-chat/gossip infront of the one shelve I need to get into to get my job done desipte my polite inclinations to shift

-think I care what kind of cheese they hide their flea tablets in to give their dog

-think they are saving me the effort of filling the milk by taking it right off the trolley

-People who use the outside lane for 3 miles because they know they are turning right eventually.

there was one time though i was on my way to work and some old guy stopped me outside the grammer school and told me to get off and walk. there was barely anyone on the pavements at that time' date=' meh.

i'd like to nominate old busybodies as a bugbear. :)[/quote']

that same guy has stopped me a couple of times, beard, glasses. i used to work next to the grammer school and used to cycle on the pavements in winter when it was dark. the most riling thing was he would try to walk into me, shouting "pavements are for people!!". and coffins are for dodgers, granpaw.....

people who don't realise that the parkway between Tesco roundabout and the next roundabout has a 60 mph speed limit' date=' not 40. Every single day there is a queue of traffic on that road due to one twat at the front with a clear road ahead but they're only doing 30 or 40 mph as they don't know what the white circle with a black line through it means.[/quote']

The white circle with a black line through it is an interesting one. It originally meant 'No Limit', but was later adpated to mean 'national speed limit'. But there are FOUR national speed limits - 30, 40, 60, and 70. 70 is the motorway limit. 60 is the limit where there are no lamposts, or only lamposts on 1 side of the road. 40 where there are lamposts on both sides but spaced far apart, and 30 where there are lamposts on both sides but spaced close together. I can't recall the exact spacings.

Another snippet that most people are oblivious to:

Pedestrians have right of way at a road junction. In other words, every road junction, regardless of where the car approaches it from, effectively doubles as a zebra crossing. So if you are crossing the road, then do so at a junction and the traffic should stop for you... in theory.

In practice they will probably run over you (provided nobody is looking), then speed off honking their horn and flipping you the bird out the rear window. They might even stop the car and gob on your bleeding corpse.

"Road junctions

164. Take extra care at junctions. You should

• watch out for cyclists, motorcyclists

and pedestrians as they are not

always easy to see

• watch out for pedestrians crossing

a road into which you are turning.

If they have started to cross they

have priority, so give way."

i quite like the gulls. the only time i've had food stolen by one was in largs and' date=' to be fair, i was waving my poke of chips about like an eejit anyway.[/quote']

I once had a sarnie nicked out of my hand by one in Union Gardens. I laughed a lot and got funny looks from passers by !

The white circle with a black line through it is an interesting one. It original meant 'No Limit'' date=' but was later adpated to mean 'national speed limit'. But there are FOUR national speed limits - 30, 40, , and 70. 70 is the motorway limit. 60 is the limit where there are no lamposts, or only lamposts on 1 side of the road. 40 where there are lamposts on both sides but spaced far apart, and 30 where there are lamposts on both sides but spaced close together.

[/quote']

don't think that's quite right. looking through the highway code section on speed limits there is no mention of a 40mph national speed limit except for goods vehicles. also it says 30ph is for built up areas. there's no mention of lamposts having any bearing on the speed limit. However I remember my instructor used to tell me that unless there was signs are regular intervals on the lamposts stating a speed limit (national or otherwise) then lamposts indicated a 30mph limit.

60 is the national speed limit for a single carriageway, 70 is for dual carriageway and motorways. But these only apply for cars. There's a variety of other figures for cars towing caravans, goods vehicles and HGVs.

But anyway the parkway after tescos is 60 and not enough people realise it.

I always remember that pedestrian one from when I was learning. Dunno why it stuck in my head. You're correct it's not something you're likely to see in practice (I once got shouted at and honked at by an agry driver who'd just comeoff the M8 and was driving past the holiday inn in Glasgow only to turn the corner to find me strolling across the road. As I was aware I had right of way seeing as I was already on the road I kept walking. He didn't like that very much).

don't think that's quite right. looking through the highway code section on speed limits there is no mention of a 40mph national speed limit except for goods vehicles. also it says 30ph is for built up areas. there's no mention of lamposts having any bearing on the speed limit. However I remember my instructor used to tell me that unless there was signs are regular intervals on the lamposts stating a speed limit (national or otherwise) then lamposts indicated a 30mph limit.

60 is the national speed limit for a single carriageway' date=' 70 is for dual carriageway and motorways. But these only apply for cars. There's a variety of other figures for cars towing caravans, goods vehicles and HGVs.

But anyway the parkway after tescos is 60 and not enough people realise it.[/quote']

They probably chnaged it. Just like the changed the section on indicating at round abouts. In the old days you used to indicate right until it was time to exit then indicate left, unless you were taking the first exit. Latterly (well within the past 15-20 years) they changed this so that you didn't indicate right at all if you were going straight on.

But back when I learned, the highway code did refer to lampost spacings. I guess the reason for this was to prevent people from claiming they hadn't seen the speed limit sign. It was so many feet apart for a 40 limit, and so many feet apart for a 30 limit. The omission is probably due to the issue with digging up lamposts every time they change the speed limit on a particular stretch. These days of course we can barely lay a road, let alone shift a lamp post.

The other one that bugs me, and is like some fuckin by-law that only applies in Aberdeenshire:

Two facing cars are both turning right at a crossroads. The rule states that they are meant to pass behind one another (which makes perfect sense). Here if you try going behind someone they get totally freaked out, and will probably crash into you. For some reason we have adopted our own rule which is that everyone must pass in front.

The other one that bugs me is this thing where people flash their lights at any car performing an overtaking manouvre. OVERTAKING IS LEGAL (and necessary).

watch out for pedestrians crossing

a road into which you are turning.

If they have started to cross they

have priority' date=' so give way."[/quote']

I love this one and use it regularly regardless of how many tooted horns or angry jibes are directed at me. I don't drive so I'm all for Pedestrian rights - Yeehaaaaaaa!

I hate people who can't be quiet on public transport. I don't think that everyone should be strapped in and gagged, but the last 4 times I've been on a train I've left wanting to shoot somebody. I'm mostly talking about groups of young teenage girls and football fans. Yeah, sure, everyone in the carriage wants to hear your conversation and watch you be thoroughtly anti-social and disrespectful. People have absolutely no consideration for the people around them anymore. OK, rant over, I'll get back to clogging up Markies and Union Street now (I'm only 21, no matter how old and crotchety my post sounds!)

People who spend a week solid before an exam revising. Learn throughout the year so that you're prepared, don't complain about the mass of 'revision' you have when you've spent the last year getting stoned, consuming vodka jelly or whatever and collecting a mass of STI's.

Easy people. No one cares. Please don't throw yourself at anything with corrosponding sexual organs. It makes you look stupid and you will be correctly branded a slut. Have some class and retain at least a shred of dignity. Only desperate people will sleep with you, and they are desperate for a reason, as you'll discover when you sober up and turn around.

'Pete from Big Brother is adorable.' No he is not. If you were locked in a room with him for 3 months you would kill yourself. He has an annoying accent, is 'wacky' and has an obscene form of Tourettes. You wouldn't like him. You'd be frustrated and embarrassed by him all the time. But he will win Big Brother, because the fuckwits of this nation will say "Oh, look, he's so brave, going into that with his illness, he's such an inspiration." No he's not. He has Tourettes, not cancer. He still functions likes a human being, except he's annoying.

Self-righteous homosexuals. Perhaps inspired by another Big Brother fuckwit. Gay people should not have specific rights, they should have equal rights to straight people. But mondo-camp guys who could pass for girls mincing around making everyone know they are gay is actually the pits. I couldn't care less if you're gay, stop going on about it. I don't walk around wearing a fucking football top, drinking lager and yelling "I fuck women, I fuck women" at everyone because I deem that as 'straight' behaviour. Homophobia is brought on by the behavior of whatever percentage of men it is who haven't yet figured out that Jack isn't the only gay character in "Will and Grace".

Smelly people. Wear deodrant. See also 'bad breath' and 'greasy hair', all of which can be rectified quite cheaply.

Homeless people. They are all junkies. None of this "What about the genuine homeless people....", no, you don't see them sitting outside Fopp every day (I hate Facy Lady) because genuine homeless people have the savy to realise there are numberous government initiatives set up to help them find work, housing etc. People sitting on the street asking for your money spend 10% of it on coffee from McDonalds and 90% getting so out of their face that they wouldn't know the difference between street corners and Buckinham fucking Palace.

Lindsay Lohan actually does grind my gears, but thats best left alone.

Guest Craig C

- People who say things like "no, no, no" then walk away while you're trying to tell them they are wrong/get your point of view across. This really fucks me off.

- People who buy things purely because it's 'on offer'.

- Rude customers

- Rude sales people

- Bus drivers who say thanks and/or goodbye to all the people exiting the bus before me, then when I say thanks - they don't respond.

- Again, people who moan about things they have no control over i.e. the weather!

Guest bluesxman
'Pete from Big Brother is adorable.' No he is not. If you were locked in a room with him for 3 months you would kill yourself. He has an annoying accent' date=' is 'wacky' and has an obscene form of Tourettes. You wouldn't like him. You'd be frustrated and embarrassed by him all the time. But he will win Big Brother, because the fuckwits of this nation will say "Oh, look, he's so brave, going into that with his illness, he's such an inspiration." No he's not. He has Tourettes, not cancer. He still functions likes a human being, except he's annoying.[/quote']

He came across as a nice and genuine person on his own in the diary room and if he keeps it up that's why I will want him to win, not because of his Tourettes or any other reason. I haven't heard or read anyone say he is brave for going in with Tourettes, most people feel he is being exploited for laughs.

Guest bluesxman

Another driving one - when you overtake someone and the only car in the outside lane is way, way behind you but are travelling at a zillion miles an hour and refuse to think they should slow down so eventually catch you up with lights flashing and obviously ranting at you. I just stay where I am and try and annoy them as long as possible. It's even better when they try to cut in the inside lane without there being enough space to get by so if you speed up they end up stuck in that lane. Idiots.

People who spend a week solid before an exam revising. Learn throughout the year so that you're prepared' date=' don't complain about the mass of 'revision' you have when you've spent the last year getting stoned, consuming vodka jelly or whatever and collecting a mass of STI's.[/quote']

Nowt wrong with a bit of sex drugs and rock n roll in the first year. It's not exactly a mindfuck.

Scenesters

this whole idea of "fashioncore" or whatever.....what?

It annoys me that people think that they have to dress in a certain manner to be understood by peers and others into music - GROW UP. Its pathetic, boring and has nothing to do with music

Musicianship

u know the type.

People who feel that they know about every band and understand every concept behind them, you don't. Living in aberdeen I've experienced alot of musical snobbery. Just because you are in a band or a music fan does NOT make you an EXPERT.

That plastic bit from cigarette packs

No matter how hard u try to throw it away, it ALWAYS sticks to your clothes, finers, shoe, dink, ashtray - grrrrrrr

Car conversations

Yawn.

No I do not care about your alloys or your spoiler or any other shitty attachment you have put on it. so get in your car and fuck off to someone who cares.

Those people...

Who say "oh...right", u know the types, who never really listen or always seem to have sympathy for u or are just generally patronising. "I thought u said.." How annoying are they?! I have a massive urge to hit them with a TV.

Working(waitressing)

The fact that people think you have no IQ.

and when you forget one thing (afterthey have ordered a med well steak with a small amount of mushrooms, no veg but a side salad instead, and rem,eber to put on balmoral sauce - once you've done that I'll have a long vodka in a short glass) and they repeat it to you really slowly, as if you have the IQ of a stick. grr.

Political Conversations

I love politics, but not with some people. As Ryan said, I hate when somebody does seem interested about the war and when u go into extreme detail they just say..."oh...yeh.."SHUT UP AND BUY A PROPER NEWSPAPER.

Arrogance,Racism and Homophobes

Smoke machines

ie Exodus - u can'tbreathe nor see your drink or ur hand or pretty much anything else, then leave smelling horrible. not fun.

Gay people...

who think nobody understands them, nobody likes them etc. I met a guy last weekend who started every conversation "I'm gay and.." so when I told him it made no difference to me - "oh well you woulnd't uunderstand would you?" well LEAVE ME ALONE because I'm straight and do u see me ranting and raving about it? No. Well. There.

Bad punctuation

There is no need. It's annoying and lazy. So stop it.

Men...

Who think condoms are irrelevant and it's a girl responsibility. Yes these men DO exist. and they are all LOSERS.

Scenesters

Gay people...

who think nobody understands them' date=' nobody likes them etc. I met a guy last weekend who started every conversation "I'm gay and.." so when I told him it made no difference to me - "oh well you woulnd't uunderstand would you?" well LEAVE ME ALONE because I'm straight and do u see me ranting and raving about it? No. Well. There.

[/quote']

Gay people are funny! They seem to think the World cares about their sexuality. I bet if everyone turned gay they would be straight, just becos they want to be differant.

You know what really grinds my gears?

These guranga guys in town.

They stop you in the street and ask you to give them money for some cult or something. and if you do they give you a magnet that says " say guranga or else" What the fuck?!?!?!? This one guranga guy gave me a frickin cd that had pictures of prostitutes, guys slaughtering cows, guys putting babies into a barrel and other weird stuff.

First they take my money, then they threaten me and now they want me listen to the top hits of their cult?!?!?!?!?!

Whats worse is they only come out at about Christmas time!

JUST LEAVE US ALONE YOU GURANGA BASTARDS!!!!