aberdeen-music

Fuzz heads: advice needed.

Old Gold

I know it's not the same' date=' but I've got a Zvex SHO. I quailty of this pedal is very good, cute to boot.

If you like what you've heard...go for it. Where are you going to get it from?[/quote']

Awesome... I was just gonna get it from one of the shops Vex has listed on his site. It's not the easiest of gear to find, so it looks like I'll need to pay with my soul.

Especially as I'll be buying the groovy handpainted one. My current pedal board's a bit swamped with uniform Boss merch

David has one' date=' I've played around with it a little. It's loads of fun for screeching, weirdness &c but sometimes a little tricky to ger "under control" for more conventional tones. It's a pretty cool pedal nevertheless.[/quote']

Sweet. I've got a fuzz built into my Crybaby if I'm ever after a straight up tone. It's just not the most exciting of noises, and has minimum variation (ie, a hidden away volume control and a 'low fuzz to high fuzz' knob). The fuzz factory looks like the next step in overthrowing my emo-at-heart co-guitarist.

Awesome... I was just gonna get it from one of the shops Vex has listed on his site. It's not the easiest of gear to find' date=' so it looks like I'll need to pay with my soul.

Especially as I'll be buying the groovy handpainted one. My current pedal board's a bit swamped with uniform Boss merch[/quote']

You could try contacting the guy at Tonefrenzy in the states http://www.tonefrenzy.com/. I got my SHO and Moonrock from them. Very helpfull and sent over my Wyllie Moonrock, and called it a gift for tax reasons.

Get on his site you might see some other pedals you want. the Wyllie fuzz pedals are quite interesting. http://home.mindspring.com/~wylo/

Sorry not I'm not good at getting links on to these pages

good luck

You could try contacting the guy at Tonefrenzy in the states http://www.tonefrenzy.com/. I got my SHO and Moonrock from them. Very helpfull and sent over my Wyllie Moonrock' date=' and called it a gift for tax reasons.

Get on his site you might see some other pedals you want. the Wyllie fuzz pedals are quite interesting. [url']http://home.mindspring.com/~wylo/

Sorry not I'm not good at getting links on to these pages

good luck

Thanks mate, this is gold. :up:

Got one at home :)

Incredible pedal, though as Scott said, maybe not for 'nice' classic fuzz tones, though you can get some pretty reasonable sound out of it, though on the harsher side than a fuzzface or something. The odd sounds are excellent fun though, heavily gated 'velcro' sounds and odd oscillations and much more joy to be had

A shitload of beautiful noise: check (though beautiful is a bit of a strange way to describe it ;))

The Blender is a more 'standard' fuzz pedal, and probably sits with the zvex on the harsh side of fuzz sounds though, but is a lot more 'standard' than the ZVex, though on that note, a lot easier to control and get 'good' sounds from, the zvex does have huge control over all the sounds it can make, but does require sitting down and toying with it for a while to see what you come up with

sounds great and mansons do the zvex pedals, though I can't remember the prices, my Vexter ff was £125 from soundsgreat, which wasn't much more than I would have paid from the US including shipping and duties, the more expensive versions could be more worth importing though

David

Thanks very much old bean. I've already got a fuzzface built into my wah wah, so I'm definately after something with a bit of 'beautiful noise'. My new band requires me punching holes in the fuckin' wall, so I think the zvex is the way to go.

I checked out Mansons and their prices are pretty standard. At least they're a reputable company. Nooow... should I buy the basic one or get the marvelous hand painted job? Decisions...

Thanks very much old bean. I've already got a fuzzface built into my wah wah' date=' so I'm definately after something with a bit of 'beautiful noise'. My new band requires me punching holes in the fuckin' wall, so I think the zvex is the way to go.

I checked out Mansons and their prices are pretty standard. At least they're a reputable company. Nooow... should I buy the basic one or get the marvelous hand painted job? Decisions...[/quote']

If you already have a more 'standard' fuzz then it should do nicely, if you can get hold of the absolution dvd by muse you see him playing around with the oscillation a fair bit, and I think John Frusciante of the Chilli Peppers uses it for some of his leads nowadays for a couple of examples. but in addition to a more standard fuzz it is excellent fun for playing around with and making huge swathes of noise

I went for the vexter, as its exactly the same pedal just minus the paintjob, so you are only really paying for 'mojo' and no sound benefits or anything, which wasn't really worth it to me. If you do get one of hte painted ones, see if you can get hold of one of the Laura Bennet ones, she has started painting pedald for Zvex too and they do look rather nice :) just a change from the usual green really

David

If you already have a more 'standard' fuzz then it should do nicely' date=' if you can get hold of the absolution dvd by muse you see him playing around with the oscillation a fair bit, and I think John Frusciante of the Chilli Peppers uses it for some of his leads nowadays for a couple of examples. but in addition to a more standard fuzz it is excellent fun for playing around with and making huge swathes of noise

I went for the vexter, as its exactly the same pedal just minus the paintjob, so you are only really paying for 'mojo' and no sound benefits or anything, which wasn't really worth it to me. If you do get one of hte painted ones, see if you can get hold of one of the Laura Bennet ones, she has started painting pedald for Zvex too and they do look rather nice :) just a change from the usual green really

David[/quote']

Yeah! The Matt Bellamy craziness was exactly what I was looking for. The fuzzface is good for jesus and mary chain/hendrix fuzz at the very best, and if overdriven some utter death rattle which is kinda unintelligible. Other problem I've got with it is that being built into a crybaby, the on-off switch is a tiny red button on the side which is a right bastard to kick while in the middle of some serious rocking out.

I'm not totally resigned to the hand painted job, but seeing as I'll be working full time over the summer and still retaining all the benefits of being a 'fuckin student', I'll have a bit of cash to hurl about hopefully :up: I'll go google the laura bennet ones and see what I come up with, although it would mean importing one I'd imagine...

Guest lime ruined my life
the on-off switch is a tiny red button on the side which is a right bastard to kick while in the middle of some serious rocking out.

i'm sure you could invent a stompbox extension switch, have faith.

zvex fuzz factory is pretty good for scuzz sounds, if a bit erratic to set up, so i never really used it as much as I would have liked to.....replaced mine witha more controllable pedal from the Fulltone range of fuzzes...much more useable to be honest