aberdeen-music

The Da Vinci Code

What a pile of codswallop. I was bored for about 3/4s of it, during it's 'best' moments it was merely ok, and it was probably one of Tom Hank's worst performances. A completely hamfisted attempt at trying to make a 'religious action thriller'. And an instantly forgettable one at that. I never thought I'd say this, but the book's better.

The only saving graces were Ian McKellen's performance and Audrey Tautou looking suitably pretty and distressed throughout.

Guest five years
aye' date=' but you are talking about the da vinci code here!

it's only in toilets around the country, in case of emergencies...[/quote']

haha.

doesn't stop it being better than the film. i thought the book was really good, as someone said, very much holiday/airport reading, but enjoyable nonetheless, because you make some of it up yourself, for example, my image of robert langdon was nothing like tom hanks...

i'm gonna go see the film though. i don't want it to be shit, but i'm prepared for that.

I'm gonna go see it, i enjoyed the book (granted not the best thing i've ever read, but still better than a poke in the eye with a shitty stick). I think the film will be good, but as always i'm not building my expectations too high, though the fact that so many people seem to dislike it from the reviews i've read probably means that i'll love it.

Why did no-one ever go on about the book not being literary genius before but now that it's been mentioned in the press a few times everyone jumps on the wagon.

Are you a bunch of english scholars? Who gives a flying fuck, it's a good read. I'm going to see the film tonight. I hope it's good.

Why did no-one ever go on about the book not being literary genius before but now that it's been mentioned in the press a few times everyone jumps on the wagon.

Are you a bunch of english scholars? Who gives a flying fuck' date=' it's a good read. I'm going to see the film tonight. I hope it's good.[/quote']

you dumbass.... :up:

Like i said - the book is a classic in the aiport departure lounge pulp fiction stakes - it's chewing gum for the mind & hardly stimulating or thought provoking (depsite what some DVC fanatics would have you believe).

the chapters are short, snappy & keep you turning the page - but that's more to do with Brown's shortcomings as an author rather than the work of a good thriller writer.

Are you a bunch of english scholars?

Yes ;)

Although, one thing the book is not is patronising, whereas in the film Audrey Tautou is always there with her 'I don't understand' so that Ian McKellen or Tom Hanks can explain it for the sixth time. And don't even get me started on the sodding score.

Why do people want to read simpler books when in an airport or on holiday??(

because they're easy to put down and come back to at any point and when you're in an airport/travelling there's a lot of distractions. i tried reading a short history of nearly everything when i was on holiday and kept having to re-read whole pages or sections just because i'd been interrupted for my inflight meal or having to go to the gate or whatever. made reading said book pretty tricky.

you dumbass.... :up:

Like i said - the book is a classic in the aiport departure lounge pulp fiction stakes - it's chewing gum for the mind & hardly stimulating or thought provoking (depsite what some DVC fanatics would have you believe).

the chapters are short' date=' snappy & keep you turning the page - but that's more to do with Brown's shortcomings as an author rather than the work of a good thriller writer.[/quote']

That wasn't my point. But yes, I agree with you.

I thought the book was alright, it was an easy read but had the intellect and description of a well established author.

A pretty good book for someone who rips off other people's !!!!

As for the film.. I want to go and see it, just so I can argue with some Christianity protesters.

"HAHAHAHAHAHA - You've been lied to all your life, and now this..right here is rock fucking bottom, let me know when the saviour appears you fucking Horse"

I thought it was a slightly adapted version of the infamous point 'n' click PC game "Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars"

Broken Sword, eh? I've got that sitting in another room waiting for me to play it. A friend let me borrow it and insists that i hsould play it.

The Da Vinci Code is a shit book but nevertheless was a good read.

I'll probably go see the film, and if it holds my attention for the full time then fair enough.

I agree with Johnny Mac about a lot of people "jumping on the wagon" and slating the book though. This happens way too often these days.

I went in expecting it to be not very good after reading this thread but I really enjoyed it.

I haven't read the book, but I found it all really interesting.

On a side note, did anyone else notice that Tom Hanks looked about 20 years youngerthan he has done for the past 5 years?

Oh, and what's his face from Wimbledon, Paul somethin'.. despite being creepy was strangely hot.