aberdeen-music

Sport/Art

heres a thought:

Competition is prominant in art (Music' date=' painting, writing, cooking whatever). But if you think of art as a competition why not become a runner?

This got me thinking. Where is the difference between sport and art. Or is sport art? Or is art Sport?[/quote']

Are you drunk?

heres a thought:

Competition is prominant in art (Music' date=' painting, writing, cooking whatever). But if you think of art as a competition why not become a runner?

This got me thinking. Where is the difference between sport and art. Or is sport art? Or is art Sport?[/quote']

I don't even class darts as a sport, so hell no.

I think you're right to some extent.

A sport is a physical activity that can demonstrate skill, dedication and competition.

Art definitely displays all of these attributes..

Look at Ballet. It's considered an art but it's also a form of dance.. which is a sport.

I'm not really sure where line is on this one.. I never considered photography, painting, sculpture or even music to be classed as sports, yet they all seem to meet the conditions.

Hrmm.. interesting

I think you're right to some extent.

A sport is a physical activity that can demonstrate skill' date=' dedication and competition.

Art definitely displays all of these attributes..

Look at Ballet. It's considered an art but it's also a form of dance.. which is a sport.

I'm not really sure where line is on this one.. I never considered photography, painting, sculpture or even music to be classed as sports, yet they all seem to meet the conditions.

Hrmm.. interesting[/quote']

Dance is sport? thats a novel opinion!!

Sport is sport... it requires no artistic input whatsoever, some sports require some natural talent but most only require practice and training for you to achieve moderate success, art on the other hand is "in my opinion" the reverse of that, no talent, no vision, forget it.

Ballet especially requires a great deal of physical strength (male dancers need to be able to lift their partner over their heads etc) and determination in general. Anyone who says that ballet doesn't qualify as a sport is insane, it's very demanding.

Art is something whish has had the status of art conferred upon it by a member of an artistic institution (a painter or any other kind of creative artist, teachers, professors, critics etc). So in theory anyone who is a part of an artisitc institution can say anything is art. Or this is what I was told in Art and Philosophy in 1st year. It's a shady area. The 'what is art' debate is best discussed when you've got a few glasses of wine under your belt.

I know lots of dancers who consider themselves to be performing a sport. You only have to look on' date=' for example, the "RGU:[b']Sport" website to see dancing and line dancing classes.. doesn't seem so "novel" now.

Yes there is some dancing used for expresion in various sports, but I just feel that dancing as an activity isnt a sport.....

Line dancing....a sport.....nahhhh! just because some webmaster lumps dancing along with sport because he's too lazy to creat a seperate page for it doesnt make it sport.

Ballet especially requires a great deal of physical strength (male dancers need to be able to lift their partner over their heads etc) and determination in general. Anyone who says that ballet doesn't qualify as a sport is insane' date=' it's very demanding.

Art is something whish has had the status of art conferred upon it by a member of an artistic institution (a painter or any other kind of creative artist, teachers, professors, critics etc). So in theory anyone who is a part of an artisitc institution can say anything is art. Or this is what I was told in Art and Philosophy in 1st year. It's a shady area. The 'what is art' debate is best discussed when you've got a few glasses of wine under your belt.[/quote']

I just love that whole argument that "my" unmade bed isnt art because im not an artist....

That argument goes up in smoke if you regard dancing as art..... I can boogie on down with the best of them...:up:

Yes there is some dancing used for expresion in various sports' date=' but I just feel that dancing as an activity isnt a sport.....

Line dancing....a sport.....nahhhh! just because some webmaster lumps dancing along with sport because he's too lazy to creat a seperate page for it doesnt make it sport.[/quote']

I think you'll find it wasn't some webmaster, it's in the sporting activity timetable. Although to be honest, I think this is beside the point anyway. The fact that dancing occurs on the page and in the centre at all surely suggests it's considered a sport.

Is the point of sport to win? I dunno. surely there must be creative expression through sport. Someone has had a vision/inspiration, to become a great runner for example. Then theyll put years of practise into becoming good at running, this is their craft I guess. Is the main goal after all those years to win?

Like a piano player, has the metal vision/inspiration to play. and takes all those years out to practise, to craft. To reach what, to win??

I think you'll find it wasn't some webmaster' date=' it's in the sporting activity timetable. Although to be honest, I think this is beside the point anyway. The fact that dancing occurs on the page and in the centre at all surely suggests it's considered a sport.[/quote']

Ok....at the end of a sporting event the competitors are awarded 1st, 2nd, 3rd correct?

Every sport you compete to win or at least improve your previous personal best correct?

Now....Line dancing....I rest my case.

Me thinks that artistic competitions are not entered for the purposes of winning. Art competitions, I'm coming from the contemporary angle and won't comment on what I would consider illustration (whole other argument) and in this world the idea of entering a competion is more about furthering your artistic expression for the judgement of others but not for the concerning of that judgement.

If your work, if entered, is picked as a favourite by the judges this by no means suggests that it is better or others work is lesser. Consideration will likely be given to 'context, significance/relevance, realisation of idea, idea, conceptual and intellectual rigour, viewable discourse, oh an aesthetic and visual presentation of all of the above.. Sport however is entered into with the knowledge of participation, competition and a successful outcome. Winning by being better than others and bettering your last performance.

J:up:

So according to your logic, darts and pool are sports.

And dancing's not.

BUT there are so many dance competitions. Gymnastics is very similar to dance and its an olympic sport. You can come 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in a dance competition. You can improve your personal best of the judge's score. Even line dancing has competitions which you can win.

On the other side of the coin, if you're just basing it on winning, is pie eating then a sport?

Is the point of sport to win? I dunno. surely there must be creative expression through sport. Someone has had a vision/inspiration' date=' to become a great runner for example. Then theyll put years of practise into becoming good at running, this is their craft I guess. Is the main goal after all those years to win?

Like a piano player, has the metal vision/inspiration to play. and takes all those years out to practise, to craft. To reach what, to win??[/quote']

Are you on drugs?

So England are going to the World Cup, not to try and win it, but because they had a vision and inspiration, and they want to just be there for the experience and the artistic merit. My arse, all the teams are going there to do their best and to try and win the fucking thing. There are blurred lines; Ronaldinho, Henry etc in Nike ads showing off could be considered artistic, but as I say the aren't doing that to win. They play football matches to win, not to exhibit, edify, entertain, or fulfill their sensitive artistic and creative souls.

Are you on drugs?

So England are going to the World Cup' date=' not to try and win it, but because they had a vision and inspiration, and they want to just be there for the experience and the artistic merit. My arse, all the teams are going there to do their best and to try and win the fucking thing. There are blurred lines; Ronaldinho, Henry etc in Nike ads showing off could be considered artistic, but as I say the aren't doing that to win. They play football matches to win, not to exhibit, edify, entertain, or fulfill their sensitive artistic and creative souls.[/quote']

Why then would you watch football if not to be entertained?

Im not sure what you mean by England playing a match "not to exhibit." Dosnt football get more exhibition than most things? Is football not exhibited to you all day, everyday, everywhere. On Tv, radio, internet and on the pitch itself.

Why then would you watch football if not to be entertained?

Im not sure what you mean by England playing a match "not to exhibit." Dosnt football get more exhibition than most things? Is football not exhibited to you all day' date=' everyday, everywhere. On Tv, radio, internet and on the pitch itself.[/quote']

Entertainment isn't art. Is Eastenders art? There's a lot to like about football, but I don't think I'd class it as art. And there's a difference between an exhibition and the popularity of something. Just because you see something on TV all the time (Big Brother, the War on Terror) doesn't mean that's art either.

Entertainment isn't art.

Entertainment is a form of art. And Art is a form of Entertainment

Is Eastenders art?

technically yes

There's a lot to like about football' date=' but I don't think I'd class it as art. And there's a difference between an exhibition and the popularity of something. Just because you see something on TV all the time (Big Brother, the War on Terror) doesn't mean that's art either.[/quote']

Does it not?