aberdeen-music

goldblade, deadloss superstar, bill ely & the catnips, element 106 - tunnels, 25 may

goldblade, deadloss superstar, bill ely & the catnips, element 106

at the tunnels, thursday 25 may, 6, 8pm

www.goldblade.com

www.myspace.com/goldblade

1994, Manchester, England: Since the demise of his seminal alt-rock outfit Membranes after ten years and four albums, John Robb had continued his music journalism and moved into TV presenting. Nothing, though, could replace the primal adrenaline rush of rock and roll, and so when he met up with percussionist Wayne Simmonds at a local gym, the pair realised they shared a mutual passion for martial arts and punk rock, and knew that they had to form the definitive rock and roll outfit, forging a molten mix of The Clash's punk rock rush, Fugazi's straight-edged intensity and The MC5's righteous evangelism.

A limited edition EP, Soul Power, was released in 1996, which attracted widespread critical acclaim and drew attention to the band's scorching live act. A year later the album Home Turf was a brash, bull-necked call to arms and the single Strictly Hardcore was a chart bound three-minute manifesto.

Pausing long enough to spend a month in the studio they emerged in 1999 with the second album Drop the Bomb, packed full of their calling card rock 'n' roll but seasoned with all manner of flavours. The disco-tinged Hairstyle found them on the brink of mainstream success, gaining the band single of the week on the prestigious BBC Radio 1 breakfast show and a live appearance on Saturday morning television chart show SMTV. Chart dominance was halted only by the news that their record label had just gone bankrupt...

Stripped down and more raw than ever, the band discarded the keyboards and horn section and embraced their punk rock roots with fervour. Shortly afterwards, 2002's Do You Believe In The Power Of Rock and Roll? was released. With an onstage sound louder than ever, new levels of intensity were reached.

As always the Blade maintained near-constant touring across the world, building a huge live following via everywhere from small clubs shows to arenas and festivals, including Glastonbury. As they toured they continually wrote, with the fourth album Rebel Songs slowly being crafted into shape during gig sound-checks and intensive sessions in their Manchester city centre rehearsal bunker.

Finally released in the spring of 2005 on Captain Oi records, the album is their fiercest statement of punk rock intent yet. Musically it checks off every great punk band of the last thirty years, while lyrically it includes the usual rock staples of sex, violence and social discontent but also finds time to address band obsessions such as ancient history and evolutionary theory.

I know' date=' but I have seen glodblade before, and they are more likely to be back in Aberdeen again. Sorry, if they had been on different nights I would have been at both :)[/quote']

ye dick. i'll maybe see you in the moorings at some point

everyone should come to this. i will be there' date=' and i'll be very drunk. this could be your chance to take incriminating photos of me which could later be used for blackmail purposes.[/quote']

Can I borrow your guitar strap Bobby?:up:

I'll photograph you' date=' Bobby.

I shall be along with my merry cider drinking flatmate.

I don't actually really like Goldblade (just seem very standard rock n roll to me) but I'm a big fan of the Catnips and I also haven't seen Deadloss play for a very long time. So really I'l along for the local acts.

I'll set up a "I love The Bobby" photo session during the Goldblade set. I assume the boy will be legless by then.[/quote']

i plan to be legless by teatime tomorrow. watch out for my limited edition catnips t-shirt