aberdeen-music

Recommendations?

Aileen

Hello all!

Now that I have finally returned to Aberdeen for good after a four year stint in the marvellous city of Glasgow, I'm a little lacking in my knowledge of good places to seek new music in Aberdeen. I have a gaping hole in my life which used to be filled with amazing venues and clubs in Glasgow which I fear Aberdeen will not be able to fill.

I was just wondering where there are decent open mic nights in aberdeen and whether the performers are actually worth seeing?

Also, have been wondering about various types of music which I have never really sought in local acts before...folk, funk, and soul?? Can anyone recommend good local bands of those types? Or good venues to check out touring bands of those types? I'm guessing the Lemon Tree?

Also, as far as clubs are concerned I think it's highly unlikely that anything Aberdeen has to offer could ever match the diversity of the Glasgow club scene, as far as I can tell, all clubs in Aberdeen are one and the same, barring the likes of Moshulu and Exodus. Any other suggestions for something a bit different which isn't full of bams and pillheads?

What is the Tunnels like for clubnights?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm looking for the best forms of light relief now that I have to work in an office all summer! Woohoo!

Also' date=' have been wondering about various types of music which I have never really sought in local acts before...[b']folk, funk, and soul?? Can anyone recommend good local bands of those types? Or good venues to check out touring bands of those types? I'm guessing the Lemon Tree?

-before this turns into a bloody self promo thread.

Yeah, sorry!

Just go to Drummonds, Tunnels, Lemon Tree, Moorings, Kef, Snafu.... whenever you get a chance. It may be hit or miss but at least you can get drunk and find a gem or two while you are at it. It is all on the GC Guide - an excellent resource for finding out what is on and usually with links to the band web pages.

Oh yeah, if you like spontaneous folk music, there are a group of musicians that meet up in various pubs around Aberdeen. Last time I saw them was a while ago in the Blue Lamp.

Never forget the Blue Lamp either. There are often really good bands, and groups that play there but overlooked due to the lack of advertising (check GC guide for this).

Colin

Sunday night seems to be when all the folk musicians meet up in The Prince of Wales, driving away most of the punters in the process.

I've been pleasently surprised by just going along to random gigs at the Tunnels recently. The last few weeks have been really good for live music, not sure if that's just down to the GoNorth thing or just a coincidence.

Lemon Tree do free gigs on Thrusday lunch times, a good bunch of local acts coming up and you can get pasta and a pint for £5

cheers guys.

regarding open mic nights, the one at cellar 35 sounds pretty sweet, but where is that???

also, whats the GC guide??

spoonie, it ain't over yet, you better be coming to my shmarty farty party? are you guys playing johnnyfest again this year?

cheers guys.

regarding open mic nights' date=' the one at cellar 35 sounds pretty sweet, but where is that???

also, whats the GC guide??

spoonie, it ain't over yet, you better be coming to my shmarty farty party? are you guys playing johnnyfest again this year?[/quote']

Cellar 35 is on Rosemount Viaduct, under the Noose and Monkey I think.

The GCGuide is the rather spiffing, and now nice and shiny, guide to all things music in Aberdeen, it is a monthly booklet that covers all genres and all venues.

http://www.gcguide.co.uk/

Cheers

Stuart

spoonie' date=' it ain't over yet, you better be coming to my shmarty farty party? are you guys playing johnnyfest again this year?[/quote']

not gonna make it to the party i'm afraid, cos i'm playing a gig up in aberdeen with quixote that night :(

but FeSTR are certainly playing JFest and it should be a blast!

/x