aberdeen-music

New Gibson Les Paul Custom Price?

highlander

Hi, not sure if this is against the forum rules or anything to ask this, but anyone know where i could get a good deal on a Gibson Les Paul Custom in Wine Red?

Best i've seen so far is 2k for a new one - apparently the prices of Gibbos have been jacked up due to expensive production costs in the US.

Anyone able to help?

Hi' date=' not sure if this is against the forum rules or anything to ask this, but anyone know where i could get a good deal on a Gibson Les Paul Custom in Wine Red?

Best i've seen so far is 2k for a new one - apparently the prices of Gibbos have been jacked up due to expensive production costs in the US.

Anyone able to help?[/quote']

Unless anyone can tell you otherwise (Dusty?) , you're unlikely to get a new LP Custom cheap in the UK. (I recently managed to bag a used one for a ridiculous price - but that was the exception rather than the rule)

The US of A seems to be the place. I've included a link to the Musicians Friend site where the going rate for a Custom is $2400-$2700 dollars. That might be more attractive given current exchange rates?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar/navigation?N=100001+306241+15+202996&page=1

Good luck :up:

DZL

Guest DustyDeviada

The cheapest in the UK seems to be 1899

http://www.petercooks.co.uk/gtrgib.php

Dieselfeet is right to say that it will be cheaper going to the US, although Musicians Friend don't actually ship internationally. You also bhave to bear in mind that unless you are actually going to the states and willing to take the risk of effectively smuggling the guitar back, you are going to have to add duty (I think overall it works out at about 20%) and shipping costs (a couple of hundred dollars).

I would recommend firing off some emails to the Wildwood Guitars http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/index.html and Center City music http://www.ccitymusic.com/

Just don't forget to factor in customs (no pun intended) and shipping when they give you what appear to be silly low prices.

Cheers for the tips,

Yea i actually bought a Taylor a while back from WildWood and even after shipping and import tax it was like a grand cheaper than i could find it in the UK. Anyway, i've emailed them to see what they're saying.

A few months ago you were looking at 1699 from some online places but the majority of places have bumped up their prices. Typical really!

The cheapest in the UK seems to be 1899

http://www.petercooks.co.uk/gtrgib.php

bought stuff from cooks....they're pretty good..

Dieselfeet is right to say that it will be cheaper going to the US' date=' although Musicians Friend don't actually ship internationally. [/quote']

they do now....

You also bhave to bear in mind that unless you are actually going to the states and willing to take the risk of effectively smuggling the guitar back' date=' you are going to have to add duty (I think overall it works out at about 20%) and shipping costs (a couple of hundred dollars).

[/quote']

17.5% vat... 200 odd bux for shipping is about right... and they (the courier) will charge about 50 quid for picking up the vat from you....

Guest DustyDeviada
they do now....

Interesting, that must have been a fairly recent change. I'd still be hesitant about buying from them, they have a pretty poor reputation, whereas the likes of Wildwood and Centre City will pick out a guitar to your exact specs, send you pictures via email etc. Their prices will usually kill MF too. Only thing is, sometimes MF has some tasty limited edition Gibsons, Les Paul Deluxes for example recently.

I bought my R4 from Wildwood and they were good to deal with, although I actually had it sent to my hotel when I was in the states rather than post it over here.

Just don't forget to factor in customs (no pun intended) and shipping when they give you what appear to be silly low prices.

Damn right, i was in america and i was going to buy an ibanez rg350dfx. A sweet guitar and at $250 i was amazed. But then all the taxes added up to more than it would be at home so you'd sometimes be better off just leaving it and looking here, which i did.

Guest DustyDeviada
Damn right' date=' i was in america and i was going to buy an ibanez rg350dfx. A sweet guitar and at $250 i was amazed. But then all the taxes added up to more than it would be at home so you'd sometimes be better off just leaving it and looking here, which i did.[/quote']

But that assumes you pay the taxes. It's fairly simple to take the guitar on as hand luggage and walk through "nothing to declare" at customs, they have bigger fish to fry.

Guest DustyDeviada
yea if you just say you bought it in UK and took it over with you' date=' hoe can they find out otherwise ???:gringo:[/quote']

I think the onus is on you to prove it, to be honest I don't think I'd be arguing with the customs guys in those situations. But I've never actually heard of anyone being stopped.

According to their website they will only ship Rogue' date=' Pulse, and Axman products internationally. And I haven't heard of any of them.

[url']http://mf.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/mf.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3

My dad bought a Rogue 8 string bass, its a really nice guitar. I hadn't heard of them before but it was one of only 2 8-string basses he could get sent across here so we were a bit dubious as to what the quality would be. Its a brilliant guitar though, couldn't fault it for the price. The manufacturers of all mainstream stuff all prevent sales outwith the US, same goes for a lot of things in america to be honest

I'm guessing he means the equivalent of like a 12 string guitar (strings doubled up) rather than the neck being twice as wide dude!

Regarding Les Paul Customs - I'd want to play it first. I've said before and will say again: Gibson's QC isn't the best. I've played LPC's that are horrible, have finish blems (when new), sound sub-standard.

Try play the one you buy before parting the cash dude!

Yea, i thought so but i don't think i've ever heard of an 8-string bass before in my life!

As for Gibbos QC, i'd heard they were pretty good at pumping out friday-afternoon guitars - ie dodgy so it probably is a bit risky. However, what are the chances of finding one competetively priced in the north of Scotland!? Pretty small i'd say, unless anyone here has one they're wanting to part with!

My other choice is a Gretsch and they get a pretty bad rep for making plenty of duffers too so its not exactly a good position to be in!

I'm not meaning it as much as competitive with others up here. But if you went to say, Glasgow or don in England, you'd have a better chance of getting one that isn't blemished and such.

I post on the ESP guitars forum, there was a dude that just got a LPC there, I'll dig up the topic for ya...

Must have fingers like scaffolding poles :laughing:

Haha, it is quite tough on the fingers! Basically its a normal bass (slightly wider fretboard) and it has 4 guitar strings as well like a 12 string guitar. Its very heavy cos of the extra machineheads but it sounds excellent, a really full sound - actually sounds tuneful (almost haha)

Guest DustyDeviada
My other choice is a Gretsch and they get a pretty bad rep for making plenty of duffers too so its not exactly a good position to be in!

For what it's worth, I own three Gibsons and a Gretsch and each one of them is an exceptional instrument.

The Gretsch is "pre-Fender", so the pickups and the bridge aren't the best, but I'm planning on replacing them.

Guest DustyDeviada
Nice! What Gretsch have you got?

I'm glad you asked. ;)

It's a 6119 Tennessee Rose' date=' here it is:

[img']http://www.aberdeen-music.com/galleries/files/2/4/5/2.JPG

I bought it in Houston a couple of years ago, second hand but mint, for a tasty price.

I recently had a vintage style "Chet Atkins" scratchplate custom made for it. Next step is a set of TV Jones and a bar bridge. The strings have a tendency to pop out of the roller bridge that is on it just now which is embarassing if it happens mid gig (and it has).