Fast/accurate drumming

Hog

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Nothing special.

You have posted nothing but heavy metal drummers playing 4/4 drums. Like I said, Serbian's drumming may not be THE fastest, of course there are death drummers out there that are doing even faster blasts, but his playing is all over the place with a lot of accent work on the ride bell and hi hats and generally clever stuff all around. The Locust songs are so staccatto that the time signatures often change within seconds of one another and when you see them live, some of it is completely devoid of conventional timing...yet he still plays everything with an accuracy that I have never seen matched by any other drummer. This is a guy who until about 3-4 years ago played guitar in The Locust for years before eventually taking up pots 'n' pans duty...for you to say that he is nothing special when the examples you've shown are clearly mediocre and totally 'safe' drumming, is ridiculous.

You have posted nothing but heavy metal drummers playing 4/4 drums. Like I said' date=' Serbian's drumming may not be THE fastest, of course there are death drummers out there that are doing even faster blasts, but his playing is all over the place with a lot of accent work on the ride bell and hi hats and generally clever stuff all around. The Locust songs are so staccatto that the time signatures often change within seconds of one another and when you see them live, some of it is completely devoid of conventional timing...yet he still plays everything with an accuracy that I have never seen matched by any other drummer. This is a guy who until about 3-4 years ago played guitar in The Locust for years before eventually taking up pots 'n' pans duty...for you to say that he is nothing special when the examples you've shown are clearly mediocre and totally 'safe' drumming, is ridiculous.[/quote']

You obviously missed my post which mentioned Dennis Chambers.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
You obviously missed my post which mentioned Dennis Chambers.

I did, but how does he relate to this discussion? Dennis Chambers is a jazz drummer and also probably amongst the top 5 recognised professional drummers in the world...he doesn't 'play fast', he plays jazz/funk/soul etc and just happens to play blindingly fast flurries when he's in one of his solos. Gabe Serbian plays like that to comprise his actual drum beats. For 40 minutes. If I'm missing the point by criticising the notion that Gabe Serbian is 'nothing special', then you're an even bigger hypocrite for posting a video of the fucking Fear Factory drummer in the first place.

he doesn't 'play fast'' date=' he plays jazz/funk/soul etc and just happens to play blindingly fast flurries when he's in one of his solos. .[/quote']

So he plays doesn't play fast but he also plays fast?:laughing:

To be honest, as you may realise, I am not a drummer and dont pretend to know lots about drumming. Just because I was not impressed by Gabes drumming does not make me suddenly correct about all things drumming. Phantomsmasher pointed out that the "stop start" style of drumming is difficult to pull off...cool, fair enough, I didnt know that. Dont see why you have to be all defensive, perhaps you should lighten up?

The Fear Factory drummer is not good as an allround drummer, perhaps I should of been more precise with the name of this thread because I was referring to feet work. I know that his cymbal/tom (pardon the pun) is almost not existant.

So my final list of top fucking notch drummers goes like this :

For Killer speeds while maintaining that wanted groove

Pete Sandoval

Derek Roddy

Dave Lombardo

Frost - Check 1349's cover of Buried By Time and Dust

-------------------------

For Technical and utmost swaveness

Mike Portnoy

Dennis Chambers

Ian Paice

--------------------

For fast and accurate

Vinni Paul

Hellhammer

Brann Drailor

So my final list of top fucking notch drummers goes like this :

For Killer speeds while maintaining that wanted groove

Pete Sandoval

Derek Roddy

Dave Lombardo

Frost - Check 1349's cover of Buried By Time and Dust

-------------------------

For Technical and utmost swaveness

Mike Portnoy

Dennis Chambers

Ian Paice

--------------------

For fast and accurate

Vinni Paul

Hellhammer

Brann Drailor

Surly the drummer from Cryptopsy should be somwere in that list and Dave Witt and Brian Harvay

Not being a cock just thought you would like thoes guys.

I did' date=' but how does he relate to this discussion? Dennis Chambers is a jazz drummer and also probably amongst the top 5 recognised professional drummers in the world...he doesn't 'play fast', he plays jazz/funk/soul etc and just happens to play blindingly fast flurries when he's in one of his solos. Gabe Serbian plays like that to comprise his actual drum beats. For 40 minutes. If I'm missing the point by criticising the notion that Gabe Serbian is 'nothing special', then you're an even bigger hypocrite for posting a video of the fucking Fear Factory drummer in the first place.

Utter shite, not by nature, funk through and through:up:

BASICALLY ANY DRUMMER WHO PLAYS IN TIME IS GOOD, EVERY DRUMMER MENTIONED HERE IS GOOD, IN VARYING WAYS, LETS ALL AGREE TO DISAGREE, AS YOUR FAVOURITE DRUMMER IS ALWAYS GOING TO BIAS YOUR OPINION, BUT REMEMBER FAVOURITE DOES NOT ALWAYS MEAN BEST, DEPEND WHICH ASPECT OF THE DRUMMING YOUR ARE JUDGING, SPEED, TECHNIQUE, STYLE, FLARE ETC, WHO GIVES A SHITE, THESE THREADS ARE ALL BOLLOCKS, SORRY HAWG!:down: