aberdeen-music

Fast/accurate drumming

Hog

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

buddy rich wins.

Buddy always wins. Something about me always wants to prefer Gene Krupa' date=' but every drummer in their heart knows that Buddy is the best. It's like saying who's the best pop group ever, [i']apart from The Beatles. However technically proficient the rest of the human race get, I've still never seen anyone that can do what Buddy did. And he did it first.

EDIT: have a look here

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Buddy_Rich.html

look!

LOOK!!

Buddy always wins. Something about me always wants to prefer Gene Krupa' date=' but every drummer in their heart knows that Buddy is the best. It's like saying who's the best pop group ever, [i']apart from The Beatles. However technically proficient the rest of the human race get, I've still never seen anyone that can do what Buddy did. And he did it first.

EDIT: have a look here

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Buddy_Rich.html

look!

LOOK!!

Yeah, I guess to some degree, the original always has to be the best. Even 40 years on, his snare drum work in particular is basically unsurpassed....personally i dont give a shit about the whole "but Mangini can play 20 squillion single strokes in 60 seconds" thing. ...Buddy still sounds light years better.

Buddy's technique, speed, control, power, musicianship was streets ahead of his peers, and still sounds untouchable now.

I'm not a drummer so I guess my opinion on the matter is partially voided but I prefer Mangini. I've lost track of whether the debate is to do with who is fastest or preference or who has most style or whatnot.

I'll just say that my personal favourite of the lot is Mangini, "best" or not.*

* Yes I know you can't definite "best". ;)

Double bass drum = DUGGADUGGAADUGGAADUGGAADUGGAA? Not awfully inspiring I'm afraid.

Trudat. I use double kicks because I've got two feet. I use them to fit in with what my hands are doing. But the duggadugga stuff' date=' because it's usually done[i'] at the expense of rather than complementing the hands, is the same as if I just played a constant snare roll with a four to the floor kick. Dull.

Trudat. I use double kicks because I've got two feet. I use them to fit in with what my hands are doing. But the duggadugga stuff' date=' because it's usually done[i'] at the expense of rather than complementing the hands, is the same as if I just played a constant snare roll with a four to the floor kick. Dull.

I have considered, at times, venturing into the realms of double pedal because of the additional rhythmic potential. I kinda like the idea of laid back lounge blues with added bass drums flams and the like. Colours, its all about colours and imagination. I have heard some unbelievable things done with two bass drums tuned different. Don't ask me who, what or where though...

As it stands though I like one pedal! I love trying to mix it up between the snare and bass drum for fills, hence the reason I took away my rack tom for Staccato set. I can't simply run round the toms now when I run out of ideas. No idea why I'm saying all this

o_O :up:

The top metal drummers concentrate on the whole kit, yes a lot of it is kick drum based but a lot of it is above the level of playing ability that most Aberdeen drummers can manage. I can appreciate why metal drumming may be dubbed as dull but for example, I cant imagine one single person in Aberdeen can play Shitstorm by SYL or some of the most complicated stuff by Meshuggah.

At the same time, I also have an appreciation for the drummers like Buddy Rich, Dennis Chambers etc. They are awesome. However, before some of you guys get angry with me. Comparing Thomas Hakke (Meshuggah) to people like Buddy Rich is like comparing Steve Vai to Kurt Cobain. I can see this thread going the same way.

The top metal drummers concentrate on the whole kit' date=' yes a lot of it is kick drum based but a lot of it is above the level of playing ability that most Aberdeen drummers can manage. I can appreciate why metal drumming may be dubbed as dull but for example, I cant imagine one single person in Aberdeen can play Shitstorm by SYL or some of the most complicated stuff by Meshuggah.[/quote']

OI BALDY KHUNT !!!!!

Neale and myself used to jam out meshuggah songs all the time....... ( All most the entire I album )

just because your drummer cant play worth a shit hahahahaha :popcorn:

OI BALDY KHUNT !!!!!

Neale and myself used to jam out meshuggah songs all the time....... ( All most the entire I album )

Want to have a drum off?:kiss:

If you can play the "I" album then I will give you £100...and my car.

Yeah, the dugaduga stuff can be boring, ie. listen to any slayer song etc, but it is usually in context with the music, look at nick Barker, NOT a stereo typical metal drummer, superb technique, unbelievable power, but very underrated as he plays so damn fast many "undeveloped" drummers might not be able to hear exactly what he is playing! But in that style of music, a blastbeat usually is a WALL OF NOISE, but hey it works well when played properly, i've yet to see any other aberdeen drummer successfully play one yet properly without cheating or being out of time (Badly), but admiration for trying, they aint easy to do PERFECTLY!.

I think the thing to say here is, your hands and feet should NEVER automatically conplemant each other, you should be 4 way ambidextrous to play at the best of your abilty, alot of double bass drummers i see can only do duga duga stuff in time with their hands, but try playing 3/4 with your hands and 4/4 with your feet in the same rhythm, easy - yes, but not for most, people are too overly concerned with double bass speed these days and not technique.

Alot of the element drum beats i play that used to be double bass, are slowly being ditched and replaced with doubles's, triplets, quadrouplets etc, because its more skilled, more fun to play and actually sounds more intersting!:up:

' date=' i've yet to see any other aberdeen drummer successfully play one yet properly without cheating or being out of time (Badly), but admiration for trying, they aint easy to do PERFECTLY!.[/quote']

What would you class as cheating ?

I personally feel my blasts are on top form just now but you may have seen me drumming a while back so i suppose you cannot have any right to who can and cannot play drums properly :up:

I find drummers who don't stick to the same old formula very interesting :popcorn:

What would you class as cheating ?

I personally feel my blasts are on top form just now but you may have seen me drumming a while back so i suppose you cannot have any right to who can and cannot play drums properly :up:

I find drummers who don't stick to the same old formula very interesting :popcorn:

Sorry, didnt mean to generalise that much, its very hard to explain what I mean by "cheating" it would actually be easier to show you in person.

Listen to the initial blast beat in Dimmu Borgir's "Maelstrom Mephisto" if you have it, that is a blast beat of that speed played properly. Now to cheat and play it not so well, imagine removing one stroke from the ride cymbal hand, and playing it inversly to the left hand, thats cheating!

Brian Harvey plays drums for Pig Destroyer.

and Nick Barker is triggered bollocks.

and Slayer drum beats arent all simpley double bass....listen to Dittohead, Sex Murder Art, Necrophobic.

and it doesnt matter, cos Dave Witte is still better than the lot of them.

Brian Harvey plays drums for Pig Destroyer.

and Nick Barker is triggered bollocks.

and Slayer drum beats arent all simpley double bass....listen to Dittohead' date=' Sex Murder Art, Necrophobic.

and it doesnt matter, cos Dave Witte is still better than the lot of them.[/quote']

Nick Barker plays non-triggered on Lock up albums and is still very good.

I love Paul Bostaph's drumming, although not the popular choice, I think he is way better than Lombardo.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

He does what me need him to do and he bothers to learn the material.

Answer that, Toastie.