aberdeen-music

Opeth drummer (Demon/Dayeth)

Hog

After several months away from his drumming duties in Opeth Martin Lopez has permanently decided to leave the group. After being plagued by illness and anxiety attacks Lopez decided he wanted to concentrate fully on his own project, currently unnamed. His replacement will be Martin "Axe" Axenrot who's been filling in for the last 5 tours and who also recorded with the band during the recent BBC sessions.

Mikael kerfeldt: " However sad I and the rest of the band feel in light of Lopez departure I want to thank him for his incredible work with Opeth and immense dedication to the band. We recorded some classic stuff together and he obviously had an enormous impact on our sound. I now feel very excited to hear the material of his own band. In the meantime Opeth fans can rest assured that we'll continue jamming it out with Axe and we all have high expectations about our coming musical ventures "

Personally I think this is ok. Axenrot can do some mean Samba/prog beats and it seems like a new era for Opeth.

Im glad that Gene Hoglan is not the drummer, he is too mechanical for the flowing Opeth songs plus SYL are getting bigger at the moment (Main stage Download/ Ozzfest).

Im glad that Gene Hoglan is not the drummer' date=' he is too mechanical for the flowing Opeth songs plus SYL are getting bigger at the moment (Main stage Download/ Ozzfest).[/quote']

there is no way it would have been. hoglan played a few fill in gigs with opeth. nothing more. axenrot has been with them for over 5 tours now. much more suited...and lookes less like former "you've been framed" star Lisa Reily