aberdeen-music

Apple Corp -V- Apple PCs

Craig B

Well as I understand it - Apple Computers had an agreement with the Beatles that they would stay out of music - Apples Founder named the computer company after the beatles record label. Apparently a court battle ensued and there was an agreement the Apple Computers would stay out of Music - Well iTunes and the iPod happened - and another court battle.

thats probably why they aren't called 'apple tunes' or 'apple pods'?

I don't think there was a problem with ipods or the like, only with the itunes music store - they were banned from things like selling music (as itunes does) whereas the ipod dosen't have anything to do with the sale of actual music, but storage/playback so gets through the ruling

Garageband should be ok, as while it is a piece of music recording software, it dosen't infringe on the old apples label by selling music or acting as a label or dealer

They made the agreement, Apple should damn well be sticking to it, regardless of whether they would lose money or have to rebrand itunes or whatever else. Its a sad day when a big corporation can go back on an old deal mostly due to the fact they are much larger and can afford any court fee's...

David

The way it was explained on the news show I watched, I got the impression that it's the logo (You know that apple with the bit out of it) rather than the name they were fighting over in the courts. The i-tunes website doesn't have the apple symbol on it and thats how apple computers got awa wi it.

Personally, I think any company that has managed to eek a sliver of the market in anything to do with computers, has done well to upset the monopoly that is microsoft.

Has anyone seen that clip from the bbc news 24 show where they brought on who they thought was an expert on this case, but actually turned out to be a minicab driver who was waiting to pick up the guy due to be interviewed?

story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=386136&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=&ct=5

clip: http://img.dailymail.co.uk/video/cabbie.wmv