aberdeen-music

A metal amp?

Hog

Ok, I sold my Randall, awesome low end but zero cut through for solos.

In the future I like to think that Mrs Hog will be with me so I can afford a new head (money isnt so good until this happens)Anyway, I would really like a good head to compliment Angel of Death's solos. Im not a lead guy. Mesa's seem a bit fuzzy, what about Deisel, Engl, Cornford, even something more obscure. Thoughts?

Amp

Hughes & Kettner Trilogy.

The guy I bought my TSL100 from (he replaced it with an H&K) let me hear his Trilogy.

It sounded absolutely fantastic.

The Engl is good amp too.

I went for the Marshall coz I needed something less metal and more bluesy/hard rock.

DZL

Ps - the H&K is backlit and looks amazing.

Do NOT buy an ENGL Powerball Hogster - you wouldn't want us both having one now eh?! :p

Try find Framus (Cobra, Dragon), Peavey (5150 II, 6505+), ENGL (Powerball, Fireball) and Bogner (Uberschall) to try if ya can dude. If not, try get some good soundclips for them too to give you an idea of what they give.

You could always buy my Mesa anyways though huh?! ;)

Hog, if you do look at Diezel amps, make sure to check out both the VH-4 and the Herbert aswell. Both (from clips etc. that I've heard) sound great. I can link ya some info and opinions on the VH-4 if need be dude.

The ENGL Invader does seem quite interesting but at 150 watts all valve, that's nuts! I'd rather have the ENGL SE to be perfectly honest...

Persoanlly, I would go for Mesa Boogie Roadking, there isn't a better way to spend 2,500 in music.

Seriously, it does everything. I would say that rectifier can be a bit too fuzzy at times, for my liking but can be good for some heavy riffs. It also has a built in lonestar, which is arguably the best clean sound available at the moment. Also has a built in MK-1 which has produced many of my favourite guitar tones. http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/roadking/roadking.htm

I haven't acutally knowingly heard great tones from ENGL. People seem to worship them and they are highly respected but I haven't actulaly heard the evidence to support this.

The Satch signature Peavey is also meant to be amazing.

Marshall MG or AVT would be a downgrade from anything you previosuly owned. I am not overly impressed with anything in the current range of marshalls.

It all depends how much money you are willing to spend, if you are going to use it as part of a larger system or want something which can do it all by itself.

Persoanlly' date=' I would go for Mesa Boogie Roadking, there isn't a better way to spend 2,500 in music.

Seriously, it does everything. I would say that rectifier can be a bit too fuzzy at times, for my liking but can be good for some heavy riffs. It also has a built in lonestar, which is arguably the best clean sound available at the moment. Also has a built in MK-1 which has produced many of my favourite guitar tones. [url']http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/roadking/roadking.htm

I haven't acutally knowingly heard great tones from ENGL. People seem to worship them and they are highly respected but I haven't actulaly heard the evidence to support this.

Marshall MG or AVT would be a downgrade from anything you previosuly owned. I am not overly impressed with anything in the current range of marshalls.

It all depends how much money you are willing to spend, if you are going to use it as part of a larger system or want something which can do it all by itself.

For what sound I want a Dual Rectifier is too fuzzy although it sounds amazing on Strapping young lad's Alien it sounds fuzzy on Synchestra by the Devin Townsend Band.

Satch likes Cornford who seem pretty cool, well made amps. Havent heard the Peavey but I know it got good reviews.

Randall- To much bottom end

Marshall- cool but not for what sound Im wanting.

Diesel- I know Dan Atom/MMW has one and as far as Im aware it is really good but yeah Im dont think my level of guitar playing requires such a good amp IMHO.

H@K also sound damn good.

H@K, Cornford, Engl, Riveria are what Im down too. The Mesa Roadking is awesome, I know this but would rather be below the 2 grand mark.

Guest b-bert
Marshall MG or AVT would be a downgrade from anything you previosuly owned

haha, i just suggested that as a joke. the MG range have notoriously bad tone. i wonder how much they pay zakk to claim its "crushing".

Hog' date=' if you do look at Diezel amps, make sure to check out both the VH-4 and the Herbert aswell. Both (from clips etc. that I've heard) sound great. I can link ya some info and opinions on the VH-4 if need be dude.

[/quote']

Being the proud owner of the VH-4 I can tell you that it is incredible. Just the sickest tones I have ever played by miles.

Cheaper than the Mesa roadking too, although that is a sweet as fuck amp as well.

H&K Tri-amp Mk II - £1500, but a wicked amp.

My brother owns one of these... the JSX. Quality amp, although not quite the 5150.

See if you can get a Boogie Mark series amp. Should be pretty ace for your rhythm sounds, but should you feel the need, it could bitch slap any lead tones you need as well.

I got me a Boogie .50 Caliber + Head (As used by Corrosion Of Conformity) and its a beast of an amp for 50watts!