aberdeen-music

speaker advice.

Guest lime ruined my life

i'm considering getting some new speakers. The models i was looking at are 100W each, and they're for a 4x10 cab, so there will be 4 of them. My tube amp is only 75W output MAX.

Is it better to get speakers with a smaller power capacity to get closer to the genuine "speaker ripping apart" sound?

Come to think of it i'll probably never have my amp over even half power so i don't even know why i'm asking.

Err the only genuine speaker ripping apart sound is... err the speaker ripping apart ???

Is that sound actually desirable ?

Ideally you want your speakers output handling to be a good bit beyond your amps so avoid any speaker damage.

Also depends how the 4 are wired in the cabinet regarding impedance too.

A valve amp will put out a lot more wattage than a solid state one too..

Err the only genuine speaker ripping apart sound is... err the speaker ripping apart ???

Is that sound actually desirable ?

YES!

someone once suggested an idea for a stompbox which consisted of a crappy speaker being pushed to breaking point > microphone all inside the box. I always wonder what this would sound like if you had it mixed in parallel. Even if it sounded bad it'd sound good!

i added a switch to a big muff pi to make it a single clipper, except for some unknown reason the switch didnt oprate as i expected at all in the first position i put it in. It makes this insane super distorted compressed gate effect,it sort of sounds like everythings blowing up, the only thing is it has a really high thresh-hold with a really short decay, i might put the switch back in and try it with my compressor before it, as when i finally did get the switch to switch to a single clipper it didint actually make much difference because of the amount of gain still present in the first booster section.

YES!!!

Guest Gasss
YES!

i added a switch to a big muff pi to make it a single clipper' date=' except for some unknown reason the switch didnt oprate as i expected at all in the first position i put it in. It makes this insane super distorted compressed gate effect,it sort of sounds like everythings blowing up, the only thing is it has a really high thresh-hold with a really short decay, i might put the switch back in and try it with my compressor before it, as when i finally did get the switch to switch to a single clipper it didint actually make much difference because of the amount of gain still present in the first booster section.

YES!!![/quote']

The valves on my amp went microphonic right at the end of a gig I played last night. It sounded like it was going to explode and take everything with it.

It was ace.

YES!!!