aberdeen-music

I shouldn't laugh but....

stroppycow

This from today's Popbitch site:

Britain's papers have been full of the sad tale of a mother who murdered her Down's

Syndrome son, after caring for him full-time for 36 years. So what was the final straw for the exasperated mother?

"Patrick had spent the entire day listening to the same Elton John CD, shouting the

word 'Elton' repeatedly."

I'd say it was reasonable grounds.

That is truly tragic' date=' you are all insensitive arseholes for thinking theres any humour in that.[/quote']

Dude, you have your opinion an all... but.. seriously.. it's not as if we actually want to go out and Murder Down syndrome kids and stuff.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Ok' date=' here is the deal. If her son was doing her head in then surely she could of put him in some kind of home?[/quote']

Not always that simple, comrade. I know I could never stomach my parents going into a nursing home if they started dementing. There's often a shortage of vacancies as well.

Not always that simple' date=' comrade. I know I could never stomach my parents going into a nursing home if they started dementing. There's often a shortage of vacancies as well.[/quote']

yes but theres always a solition some were. theres home carers and helpers that could help her and she prob had family to help her out, my guess is she dident bother. in the end she is paying the price for her stupidity.

Children with down syndrome are a HUGE handfull to handle by yourself, no one should have to do it alone. theres always government help.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
yes but theres always a solition some were. theres home carers and helpers that could help her and she prob had family to help her out' date=' my guess is she dident bother. in the end she is paying the price for her stupidity.

Children with down syndrome are a HUGE handfull to handle by yourself, no one should have to do it alone. theres always government help.[/quote']

True, but home carers can only ease the burden up to a point, it's the mother who has to deal with it on a permanent basis. That's assuming she was receiving support, if she wasn't aware of home help or simply chose not to bother with it, that's a different story.

I know I couldn't cope with someone with Down's, no way would I ever work with them either, I'll stick to mental health.

I would love to die a humourous death' date=' like being hit by a giant snowball 8)

At least I would be remembered more by people that didn't know who i was.:p[/quote']

tell that to the woman who lost her kid earlier this year, by being killed by a giant snow ball, again, insensitive and not really funny...(because it's real, not cartoon, or in a whacky film etc)...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4303215.stm

there's dark humour and there is insensitivity, anyone who has a laugh at these sad news stories, just needs to have a think, "what if that happened to my family", I am sure the smirks would dry up soon enough.

The humour is not in the death' date=' but in the joke that Elton John was the last straw! Are you thick or something?[/quote']

I think he can see the joke clearly but it's mroe the fact that it's not in good context. It's nto as though it's a south park/family guy/simpsons sketch, this actually happened and a kid actually got MURDERED.

Edit: Lepeep summed it nicely.