aberdeen-music

success of goNORTH?

Ollie

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not 100% sure what was said' date=' but they got people to cheer for Jamesy because he got them the gig. I was busy playing with my phone and not really paying attention, but they definitely said that Jamesy got them the opportunity to play the gig. The exact wording is beyond me, but I'm positive about the mentioning of Jamesy getting them the gig.[/quote']

yes, you`re pretty much correct.

and one could have easily guessed you weren`t paying any particular attention without your mentioning it.

what`s "the point" of going to a gig if you`re not really going to pay attention?

what you heard was "on-stage banter". some of the best in aberdeen as a matter of fact.

Here's what happened..

The week before Go North, I got a call from Capt Tom asking if Edgar Prais would like to play the A&R Showcase Thursday afternoon as part of Go North at Toms, obviously, as it was a good opportunity, the boys decided to play. They played to around 6-7 A&R Scouts from bigger labels attending Go North and got an overwhelming response, with people demanding an opportunity to see the band live. Go North was scheduled to kick off in The Tunnels on Thursday at 10pm, so I talked to Hen @ The Tunnels who agreed that it would be a great bit of opportunism and a display of enthusiasm for the band if we could make a gig for them work that night, so we decided to open The Tunnels an hour early, after clearing it with Go North officials, putting the band on at 9.15pm, thus not interfering with Go North Showcases or band's soundchecks. The Edgar Prais themselves didn't soundcheck at all, just kicked in.

We then quickly made up some posters and flyers, as well as use of the obligatory myspace bulletins and ab-music posts, and hit everyone we knew up. The gig was a great success with a lot of industry attending, as well as, punters.

The shout-out was a thanks for getting the boys a gig after industry reps requsted to see the band again, not getting them on as part of Go North, you will not see them included in ANY of the Go North advertising. However, I will say, that if we had the demo finished before Go North then we would have definitly applied to be apart of it, as I think that Go North is an amazing opportunity for bands, if you use it to your advantage as opposed to naively writing it off as an industry piss-up. I'll add that you'll find that instead of cheering when my name was shouted, I was cowered in the corner of the fire exit, although nice try matey.

I don't see anything wrong with my actions, and I dont see how it cheapens or makes the Go North experience any less. I know for a fact that the bands ARE selected by the demo selection process of Go Noth officials, and anything else that's said is indeed nothing more than sour grapes on the behalf of the individual making the accusations.

As for Go North moving to Inverness, I wouldn't worry too much, there will indeed be a similiar event in Aberdeen next year, if not under the name of 'Go North' under something really similar.

J

. I'll add that you'll find that instead of cheering when my name was shouted' date=' I was cowered in the corner of the fire exit, although nice try matey.[/quote']

Unless the tunnels has annother fire exit i don't know about, ur talking pish, because i was standing in the fire exit bitty at that time, and you were no-where near me.

Unless the tunnels has annother fire exit i don't know about' date=' ur talking pish, because i was standing in the fire exit bitty at that time, and you were no-where near me.[/quote']

yep, it does, opposite the one outside, there's one that leads to the second room, which is where I was, but hey, it's irrelevant, slander away..

• Upvote 1