aberdeen-music

The Alien Quadrology

1. ALIENS

by far the best in the quadrology. funny how the sequel tops the original, that doesn`t happen very often in hollywood. though it did with mission impossible 2.

2. ALIEN

the original. a good introduction to the franchise. this was intense stuff.

3. ALIEN RESURRECTION

a big surprise how the series could have recovered from such a disaster that was alien 3. at least they got back to using actual models for the aliens. and for the first time in the series, one could actually sympathise with the alien towards the end of the film.

4. ALIEN 3

this was just incredibly bad. the story had just been sewn together from the end of aliens. i don`t know if they had planned on continuing the saga after said prequel, but the storyline was well dodgy. the CGI aliens made the whole thing a lot worse.

so, how would you rate the Alien Quadrology?

Guest bluesxman

The odd numbered and even numbered Alien films parallel each other for me somewhat in that the 1st and 3rd are slower paced, more suspense driven rather than 2 and 4's more action orientated plots.

Needless to say the first efforts in both cases are superior, I never thought 3 was all THAT bad considering some of the other dross out there, when you have the first 2 to compete with how are you likely to match up? The original was a great suspense movie with great characters and the trump card of Giger's brilliant Alien design. Aliens matches the first for good characters and the loss of the original's creature design surprises is made up for by way of the action scenes.

I would place 1 and 2 equal with 4 slightly ahead of 3 due to presence of Winona Ryder, Ron Perlman, Brad Dourif and Michael Wincott.

Guest DustyDeviada

I like them all, but no way is Resurrection better than 3. I haven't actually seen the directors cut of it yet, but now that the boxset in 18 quid or something in Virgin I reckon it will have to be purchased soon.

I'd pretty much agree with the first post. Aliens is the best, and although as a film, Alien was better than resurrection - the cast and the all-out guns blazing action of Resurrection made it thoroughly enjoyable for me. A3 was a bit rubbish, and that might be because it was an action/shoot-em-up film with NO FUCKING GUNS. :D

i agree with the original analysis. i fucking love these films. i remember when i was young they showed the first three on 3 consecutive nights atarting about 11.30 and i sat up watching them. those were special times. certainly better than the nights spent flicking VOX and RTL looking for some hint of wank-fodder anyway.

/x

Aliens matches the first for good characters and the loss of the original's creature design surprises is made up for by way of the action scenes.

mmh' date=' i didn't notice that much, how did they change?

though i liked the introduction of the alien queen, as it was in the comic book series, which was inevitable really.

but i still think Aliens could have been the end of the series. what could have happened to the alien queen was a bit questionable - it could have possibly survived - but then Alien 3 is introduced as an alien egg having been onboard the vessel and infecting ripley while she was in hypersleep. as far as it was made obvious, there was no alien egg when ripley and newt and the wounded commander guy got onboard. and by how Alien 3 starts off, or rather how some of ripleys flashback scenes suggest, the on-board computer should/would have picked up an alien presence on board the ship, right? so after a patchy start, the reason for another alien presence onboard the ship was not the most likely cause of the alien queen drifting in space (as far as it was made obvious, aliens don't need oxygen) at the end of Aliens, but simply an alien egg that just appeared out of nowhere. in that respect, the storyline of Alien 3 seems utterly irrational.

I fucking HATE Alien 4.

how come?

I would agree with your order but your claim that Mission Impossible 2 was better than the first one angers me so much I'll say that 3 was the best.

touché!

Guest bluesxman
mmh' date=' i didn't notice that much, how did they change?

though i liked the introduction of the alien queen, as it was in the comic book series, which was inevitable really.

but i still think Aliens could have been the end of the series. what could have happened to the alien queen was a bit questionable - it could have possibly survived - but then Alien 3 is introduced as an alien egg having been onboard the vessel and infecting ripley while she was in hypersleep. as far as it was made obvious, there was no alien egg when ripley and newt and the wounded commander guy got onboard. and by how Alien 3 starts off, or rather how some of ripleys flashback scenes suggest, the on-board computer should/would have picked up an alien presence on board the ship, right? so after a patchy start, the reason for another alien presence onboard the ship was not the most likely cause of the alien queen drifting in space (as far as it was made obvious, aliens don't need oxygen) at the end of Aliens, but simply an alien egg that just appeared out of nowhere. in that respect, the storyline of Alien 3 seems utterly irrational.

[/quote']

No no, was just saying the effect of the Alien design not having seen it before the first movie was lost, it was pretty out there as a concept for the time!

It's a while since I watched Alien 3 but doesn't the ship detect the Alien but have it's system burned out by a handy drop of acid? Or did I just invent that?

It's a while since I watched Alien 3 but doesn't the ship detect the Alien but have it's system burned out by a handy drop of acid? Or did I just invent that?

yeah, that`s how Alien 3 started off. but even after the questionable presence of an alien egg on board, just *where* did the acid come from? the eggs never secreted acid, right?

Guest bluesxman
yeah' date=' that`s how Alien 3 started off. but even after the questionable presence of an alien egg on board, just *where* did the acid come from? the eggs never secreted acid, right?[/quote']

I always assumed it was from the face huggers scrabbling about once they had hatched but I guess that would imply they understood what the computer system was doing and deliberately sabotaged it by cutting themselveswhich is kinda daft, but then the films are about an alien that has acid for blood.....You are thinking too much about it, it's only a movie :popcorn::up: