aberdeen-music

Top Gear

Dunt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32052736

At the end of the day no matter how successful Top Gear is or how much Clarkson is responsible for that you can't abuse a colleague the physically assault them without getting sacked.  The people commenting on the article suggesting it's some anti-Top Gear conspiracy have lost the plot.

I don't know why there would possibly be a Top Gear conspiracy, it gets massive ratings, they sell it worldwide and they make a ton of money off merchandise. I don't think the other two would sign new contracts without him but surely a revamp with new presenters would be a failure. It's been in decline for a few years anyway. It's probably a good time to let it die.

Edited by Lemon Raspberry

surely a revamp with new presenters would be a failure. It's been in decline for a few years anyway.

I dunno, I think it could work.  I still find the show entertaining but the ratio of gold to duff segments has been swinging steadily more towards the painfully shit end of the spectrum as the years go on.  It's needed a refresh for a while.

For it to work it probably has to consciously move away from the Clarkson format. Keep the track but revamp the set and don't just hire a Clarkson-alike late middle aged twat to front it.  Would like to see someone out of left-field.  Chris Evans would just turn it into TFI Top Gear which would be annoying (though that might not stop it being popular). 

• 3 years later...

The Chris Evans series was a turd, but it's been getting gradually better since he left. This series has been consistently excellent. As good as the Clarkson years but without all the laddish banter. Which is good. Its actually about cars now and not about Jeremy Clarkson. LeBlanc is fine, he's enthusiastic about cars and seems to enjoy the job, but he's not very natural as a presenter, you can tell he's acting during the videos, and he's very wooden in the studio. Very obviously reading from a script at all times.   The other two are great though. 

10 minutes ago, ca_gere said:

Is the grand tour any good? I couldn’t make it past the opening mad max/burning man thing at the start of episode 1.

Imagine Top Gear where Clarkson was allowed to take over everything and there were no producers telling him to rein it in a bit. Also its later Top Gear where they'd given up all pretense of the challenges not being completely fake. I thought it was shite personally.