aberdeen-music

Go North listings

I've put up as much as I can, but, after repeated requests, and repeated promises, of impending "official" information, I've still had to trawl through every bands website.

Anyway, as far as I can make out, most of who is playing where is here http://www.gcguide.co.uk

Some of the acts haven't had confirmation of when and where they are playing so if anyone knows of any errors or aditions, please let me know.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've put up as much as I can' date=' but, after repeated requests, and repeated promises, of impending "official" information, I've still had to trawl through every bands website.

[/quote']

Ian, if it wasn't for folk like you, who'd know about GoNorth? Maybe next year, they'll get their house in order!

tbc tbc is appearing far too often' date='if they can put the info on a poster and stick it up in a pub why not give it to GCG?[/quote']

There's posters up???!!??

Anyway, I have managed to get the full listings, which I'm away to start sorting out now.

(Jim, you appear to drum for the Staccio Set, but that's not as bad as the Dykeenies who were listed as The Dykeness, which is the best name for a lesbian Darkness tribute act ever)

is this a joke?less than a week to go and where's the publicity?

NEW NOISE FROM THE NORTH

Dave Stewart has played some part in almost every significant music event in Aberdeen over the last five years. Elaine Foster finds out how he does it.

Budding musicians or bands dream of signing with a major record label. That illusive deal may seem like the only hurdle standing between you and success, but as industry veteran Dave Stewart is determined to get across, getting it is difficult and might not even be necessary.

Making it happen

Stewart, based in Aberdeen and the organiser of both Foyer Live and the Go North festival, has experience as a promoter, band manager and community worker. He knows first-hand what it takes to make it and what really goes on behind the scenes. And no, it's not just sex and drugs.

"It's the people behind the scenes that make it all happen," he says. As a one-time guitar technician, Stewart cannot emphasise enough the importance of those people who work on the technical side of things, as well as those who organise, plan, and make the shows happen.

NEW NOISE FROM THE NORTH

Dave Stewart has played some part in almost every significant music event in Aberdeen over the last five years. Elaine Foster finds out how he does it.

Budding musicians or bands dream of signing with a major record label. That illusive deal may seem like the only hurdle standing between you and success' date=' but as industry veteran Dave Stewart is determined to get across, getting it is difficult and might not even be necessary.

Making it happen

Stewart, based in Aberdeen and the organiser of both Foyer Live and the Go North festival, has experience as a promoter, band manager and community worker. He knows first-hand what it takes to make it and what really goes on behind the scenes. And no, it's not just sex and drugs.

"It's the people behind the scenes that make it all happen," he says. As a one-time guitar technician, Stewart cannot emphasise enough the importance of those people who work on the technical side of things, as well as those who organise, plan, and make the shows happen.[/quote']

If there weren't any bands/musicians then there wouldn't be anything to make happen... Me thinks

And if it wasn't for the people behind the scenes' date=' there'd be no happening at all.

Elaine foster needs to be told how to spell elusive.[/quote']

I there would, it would just be happening without the 'people behind the scenes'. Who are these people anyway? I think I saw them once in the corner of my eye up the back of Drakes. All very small with big glasses and white baseball boots, I'm sure of it...:jester:

There's posters up???!!??

well yes now there is' date=' the GoNorth posters for the Tunnels were only delivered last night!

Up in plenty of time then!?!

Kilau only knew [i']for definate that a gig was happening there when Amber came in saying she was playing there for it!?!

Emailed them months ago offering Snafu as a venue - still no word.

I was approached by Dave Foyer back in January with the idea of Vocoustics being involved with the acoustic stage. I spoke to dave once, got 1 email and then all my follow ups got no response!

?( ?( ?(

Strangely they don't seem to be that interested in taking fairly easy steps to avoid most, if not all, the critiscm thrown at them.

A good event which could be so much better!

And if the programmes don't give even the briefest biog info on the bands playing then they really don't listen. Maybe they expect us to lug computers around so we can check MySpace on the move.

Strangely they don't seem to be that interested in taking fairly easy steps to avoid most' date=' if not all, the critiscm thrown at them.

A good event which could be so much better!

And if the programmes don't give even the briefest biog info on the bands playing then they really don't listen. Maybe they expect us to lug computers around so we can check MySpace on the move.[/quote']

Do you not get all that info if you register? I imagine even a short bio on each act (approx 40) would take up a fair bit of space,paper and therefore money.

I'm going to stick my oar in here and say that nearly all of Go North is organised on a voluntary basis, and anyone that was involved with SHIFT or any other event will tell you it can be damn hard getting straight answers from people at times which slows things down muchly and things then become a severe labour of love.

(Also, Kilau new a while ago that it was a venue this year)

I'm writing this because I know that most people that criticise from around these parts couldn't organise a walk down Union street, gets my goat sometimes. Tell me something that doesn't have elements that could always be better? Don't mistake this post as a rant about how great the event is. I've always skirted on the periphary with no direct involvement and don't envy the organisers. I have always had a good time and I also like things happening in Aberdeen. I just get fed up of the grumpy guts negativity that exists in Aberdeen. There are those that do and there are those that moan about what those that do are doing! Just enjoy stuff for crying out loud if yoiu greet too much it will get taken away.

There, that's better :up:

He he he...Try clicking on their supporters page,then click ANY of the links and try to find info on Go North,or even try Google if you have all day to waste,this is great,the ineptitude increases dramatically with every passing year,I think a special award at The Fudge awards should be presented for outstanding achievement to Fudging thing up,a bit like Ian Browns godlike genius award but without the threats of violence and off key singing.

As usual the usual industry people will turn up and get free booze and slap each others backs and recruit new members to pay their wages whilst giving advice on how to get deep in debt to persue a "career" in music.

He he he...Try clicking on their supporters page' date='then click ANY of the links and try to find info on Go North,or even try Google if you have all day to waste,this is great,the ineptitude increases dramatically with every passing year,I think a special award at The Fudge awards should be presented for outstanding achievement to Fudging thing up,a bit like Ian Browns godlike genius award but without the threats of violence and off key singing.

As usual the usual industry people will turn up and get free booze and slap each others backs and recruit new members to pay their wages whilst giving advice on how to get deep in debt to persue a "career" in music.[/quote']

Biz proving my point!