aberdeen-music

New Q

Guest bluesxman

Guest bluesxman

Anyone else got the latest Q mag? Free CD featuring various cover versions such as Franz Ferdinand doing What You Waiting For?, Sugababes doing I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor, Flaming Lips doing Can't Get You Out Of My Head among others. My personal fave naturally is the truly bizarre Nick Cave version of Disco 2000 performed as a slow waltz. Great stuff. The presence of Jazz Hobbit Jamie Cullum's version of Lover You should Have Come Over I am choosing to ignore.

Q magazine is getting worser and worser. Two examples from latest edition:

Dirty Pretty Things as "Ones to watch", i.e. an up and coming new band to look out for. I think most other media sources picked up on this, what, 3 months ago?

New Chili Peppers album gets 5 stars. I haven't even heard it yet, and I know it's not a 5-star album.

AKM

Guest DustyDeviada
Q magazine is getting worser and worser. Two examples from latest edition:

Dirty Pretty Things as "Ones to watch"' date=' i.e. an up and coming new band to look out for. I think most other media sources picked up on this, what, 3 months ago?

New Chili Peppers album gets 5 stars. I haven't even heard it yet, and I know it's not a 5-star album.

AKM[/quote']

Yes, I bought Q magazine from 1991 until earlier this year when I finally gave up. The old days with the likes of Tom Hibbert, Stuart Maconie and Danny Kelly were great. I'm just not sure who the target market is now.

Think I'm going to move to Mojo instead.

Guest bluesxman

At the end of the day you can look and see what is on the CD before purchasing! The Flaming Lips, Editors and Nick Cave tracks, for my personal taste, made it worth the magazine price, I even enjoyed the Sugababes against expectation. Haven't actually listened to all the tracks, Franz Ferdinand got a brief moment of my time but I'm not a big fan anyway....Q has been going downhill again recently, some of their review ratings are just bizarre.