aberdeen-music

Is carbonated water bad for you?

Hog

I drink a bottle of Perrier or S.Paellegrino every day but one of my pals told me it is bad for me because of "free radicals". Surely it can't be that bad for me?

Sod the 'free radicals' reason, that is just rubbish. The effect of carbonated drinks on the acid / alkali balance in your body is the real worry - Causes decreased calcium in your bones as your body increases bone turnover to balance the pH. But hey, as long as you've a healthy diet in general it's probably going to do jack-shit to you long term...

You do drink milk, right?

though apparently' date=' if you refill plastic bottles that held water, its bad, cos they release chemicals or something.[/quote']

Wasn't that a load of rubbish spread by Evian and the like because people were refilling the bottles with tap water and so costing them money? The bottles say it, anyway.

Evian is..well..the win, as some people say though.

Sod the 'free radicals' reason' date=' that is just rubbish. The effect of carbonated drinks on the acid / alkali balance in your body is the real worry - Causes decreased calcium in your bones as your body increases bone turnover to balance the pH. But hey, as long as you've a healthy diet in general it's probably going to do jack-shit to you long term...

You do drink milk, right?[/quote']

Yes, I sure do.

Sod the 'free radicals' reason' date=' that is just rubbish. The effect of carbonated drinks on the acid / alkali balance in your body is the real worry - Causes decreased calcium in your bones as your body increases bone turnover to balance the pH. [/quote']

I thought loss of calcium was thought to be more down to the caffeine in pish like Coke etc, so wouldn't be a problem for bottled water?

Perrier did have to recall all their stocks in 1990, due to traces of benzene (carcinogenic) - maybe that's what the guy is thinking of.

However, the reason that you should avoid drinking Perrier, San Pellegrino and Vitell is that they are all owned by Nestl, who we all know are EVIL.

I thought loss of calcium was thought to be more down to the caffeine in pish like Coke etc' date=' so wouldn't be a problem for bottled water?

Perrier did have to recall all their stocks in 1990, due to traces of benzene (carcinogenic) - maybe that's what the guy is thinking of.

However, the reason that you [i']should avoid drinking Perrier, San Pellegrino and Vitell is that they are all owned by Nestl, who we all know are EVIL.

Don't argue with the scientist.. who i believe is working for the bone group now?

Alan, i have to pick my honour project this week :(

Don't argue with the scientist.. who i believe is working for the bone group now?

Alan' date=' i have to pick my honour project this week :([/quote']

Argh, good luck. And be careful, my honours project went on to become my PhD. I've spent years worrying if that was a good thing to happen or not ;)

I thought loss of calcium was thought to be more down to the caffeine in pish like Coke etc' date=' so wouldn't be a problem for bottled water?

[/quote']

You are right, carbonated soft drinks are worse because they're substantially more acidic than carbonated water (I don't think the pH is due to the caffeine though). Carbonated water is still around pH 6.0 (compared to around pH 8.0 for still). You'd need to drink a pish load to really run a risk, and studies do differ on whether carbonated water does cause bone loss. Even then, the studies do seem to focus on post-menopausal women, which I'm assuming Hog's not.

EDIT - Just been checking up, and caffeine is bad for bone too - But it's an effect that's balanced out by an average healthy dietary calcium intake. The carbonated drink thing is to do with the acid / base balance tho, just caffeinated ones will be theoretically worse for you.

Wasn't that a load of rubbish spread by Evian and the like because people were refilling the bottles with tap water and so costing them money? The bottles say it' date=' anyway.

Evian is..well..the win, as some people say though.[/quote']

I dunno, in Australia they still all believe it cos some proper scientific report things said so *shrugs* But I've never seen the reports myself so who knows.

I dunno' date=' in Australia they still all believe it cos some proper scientific report things said so *shrugs* But I've never seen the reports myself so who knows.[/quote']

I think it stems from commercial refilling of water bottles, when the containers may have been mis-used to store nasty things before being returned for refilling - So it's probably traces of things that shouldn't be there rather than repeated refilling with water that causes the problems. Much like someone storing piss in the Barrs bottles before returning them for their 20p.

Guest bluesxman

I saw an article recently that suggested even unopened bottles of mineral water could be subject to certain elements of the plastic bottles leaching into the water over time. You aren't supposed to reuse the bottles due to the components in the plastic breaking down over time and leaching into the contents, the same apparently applies to those plastic containers some takeaways joints use if you wash them out and use them to store food in or reheat food in them. I have no scientific reasoning for any of this, I just read it and have no idea of the validity of the points. Every bloody thing seems to be bad for you in some way, I also saw that although decaff coffee has the decaff benefit it is more fattening for some reason!

Any carbonated drink is supposed to be bad for you in excess, I forget why, think it's bad for the stomach or something. On the flip side apparently drinking carbonated water following a meal is good for you as it helps clean debris from your mouth and so improving dental hygiene!

coke in a glass bottle tastes different (better) than coke in a plastic bottle, so there is definitely something going on.

it might just be that glass and plastic let through a different amounts of light, or something simple like that. it is possible though that the plastic (or glass) are adding something to the drink.

someone needs to compile all the studies that have been done about it so we can make informed decisions about these things!! (not me though.....someone else need to)

[edit: rampant spelling errors]