aberdeen-music

A couple of unusual stringed instruments

I'd agree with the above - the first one definately looks like a Kora (Alan Cynic - was Jali Nyama Suso gig at the Art Centre the one when he was supporting Robin Williamson? If so, I was there, in my very young folk music days) but by it's appearence I'd guess that it's a tourist souviner rather than a decent instrument.. The second is an oud - 11 strings (5 pairs and 1 single) and no frets, with rosette soundhole(s)

The Kora is played by grasping the handles and plucking the strings with the thumbs.

The oud is persian in origin, and is the forerunner of various instruments, including the (greek) bouzouki. However, the greek bouzouki doesn't have the backwards headstock, has frets and only has 3 or 4 courses of double strings.

Regards

Flossie

• Upvote 1

I'd agree with the above - the first one definately looks like a Kora (Alan Cynic - was Jali Nyama Suso gig at the Art Centre the one when he was supporting Robin Williamson? If so' date=' I was there, in my very young folk music days) but by it's appearence I'd guess that it's a tourist souviner rather than a decent instrument.. The second is an oud - 11 strings (5 pairs and 1 single) and no frets, with rosette soundhole(s)

The Kora is played by grasping the handles and plucking the strings with the thumbs.

The oud is persian in origin, and is the forerunner of various instruments, including the (greek) bouzouki. However, the greek bouzouki doesn't have the backwards headstock, has frets and only has 3 or 4 courses of double strings.

Regards

Flossie[/quote']

Thank you very much Flossie, that is very helpful!

I'd agree with the above - the first one definately looks like a Kora (Alan Cynic - was Jali Nyama Suso gig at the Art Centre the one when he was supporting Robin Williamson? If so' date=' I was there, in my very young folk music days)

Regards

Flossie[/quote']

That was the one!! I'd actually forgotten who he was supporting, so thanks for the reminder:up: