aberdeen-music

the new tool album just through the post :D

Untitled

If they play The Pot at the Carling Academy then, oh my, hmmmmmmmmm... what a song. can't say too much about the rest of the album as just been obsessively listening to that song, but I don't see the need for Tool to 'progress', having to make creative leaps and bounds from each album to the next just for the sake of it seems as pointless as making the same album over and over again.

It should just be a natural process, so far I'd definitely say there's a difference between this and Lateralus, and if it's not so great as some expected, then that's understandable, but I for one love the directness of some of the new songs. I think if they'd taken another side-step it could have easily become purposely wanky and god knows, there's already enough bands doing that at the moment.

It should just be a natural process' date=' so far I'd definitely say there's a difference between this and Lateralus, and if it's not so great as some expected, then that's understandable, but I for one love the directness of some of the new songs. I think if they'd taken another side-step it could have easily become purposely wanky and god knows, there's already enough bands doing that at the moment.[/quote']

Completely agreed!

is it just me' date=' or the more I hear maynards voice, the more I think it sounds like english folk?...he sounds like he's been inspired by burt jansche...

I like the new lp packaging, the 3d viewer is ace...some of the tracks are a bit dull, and sound like laterallus bsides...but, the quality songs make up for it....still to decide my fave track. I am glad I bought it.[/quote']

Where did you get that vinyl :O

Want it so baddddddddddddddddddddddddd :O

I have listened to the album about 5 or 6 times now.

Favourite songs for me are definitely Vacarious, Jambi and The Pot - three classics. The last 'proper' track and the one with 'the patient'* speaking in a mega fast distorted voice are also pretty decent. But Wings 1 and 2 are a bit average...

Artwork and packaging is incredible! Took me a few minutes to adjust my eyes to the stereoscopic lens, but once you do the art looks brilliant.

Overall i would say a marginally weaker album than lateralus, but with three such brilliant songs it's still worth the tenner, and still Tool stand in a league of their own.

One thing that I was pretty gutted about though, was the fact that ALL the reviews said it was a lot heavier and meshuggah-esque. Uh... 'fraid not. In fact that is the biggest pile of bollocks ever, and I didn't even hear the vaguest HINT of meshuggah in any of the songs whatsoever.... just seems like Meshuggah are the name to drop these days.

EDIT: *hoho, didn't even realise what I did there first time round!

Love this album. Got myself a d/ld copy. Its just awesome, was not too sure at the start but i love the direction they have gone in. Vocals seem a lil easier on nard, he must be getting old. But yeah what a song vicarious is, and that wild bit in rosetta stoned with the insanely fast lyrics... just class. Cant stop listening to it.

Rosetta stoned has an insanely fast bit in it. I sit and look at the lyrics and even my brain can't go with it. It's crazy talk i tell ya.

its very strange indeed

but just clear enough to be heard

the madest thing is maynard is able to recreate it live :|

http://beta.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=check_download&ufid=E866DA204C75DD62&key=be5fe74948de59ba648b37f97e6161e7a050fb42

• Upvote 1

Still unclear as to what it has' date=' i think it maybe the original cd but in 5.1 :O[/quote']

there are some 'rumours' that this is just a b-side album and the real one is out in a few weeks o_O

im highly doubting this but there are a few websites that have a different album of the same name with a different release date so who knows :S

and where have u got these bootlets?

its very strange indeed

but just clear enough to be heard

the madest thing is maynard is able to recreate it live :|

http://beta.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=check_download&ufid=E866DA204C75DD62&key=be5fe74948de59ba648b37f97e6161e7a050fb42

i was hoping you'd have a link to a live performance of this! i've been dying to hear it live. It's really really un-tool-like. I don't know what to make of it. ?(

there are some 'rumours' that this is just a b-side album and the real one is out in a few weeks o_O

im highly doubting this but there are a few websites that have a different album of the same name with a different release date so who knows :S

and where have u got these bootlets?

from usenet and a clever program called newsleecher that has supersearch

Also, I never usually quite get into the lyrical content of albums quite like this... But the song 'The Pot' - has anyone noticed it's doubling meaning; It attacks weed-smokers with a bunch of cool of metaphors ("eyehole deep in muddy waters...", presumably referring to bongs), but also the fact the song is bashing hypocrites and liers ("Now you piss all over my black kettle"). Before I heard the song I assumed the title was about a ceramic container, but I now know is about weed and a metaphor for a hypocrite :D

Maybe I'm just stupid and everyone already 'got' this, but it's fucking clever...

Also' date=' I never usually quite get into the lyrical content of albums quite like this... But the song 'The Pot' - has anyone noticed it's doubling meaning; It attacks weed-smokers with a bunch of cool of metaphors ("eyehole deep in muddy waters...", presumably referring to bongs), but also the fact the song is bashing hypocrites and liers ("Now you piss all over my black kettle"). Before I heard the song I assumed the title was about a ceramic container, but I now know is about weed and a metaphor for a hypocrite :D

Maybe I'm just stupid and everyone already 'got' this, but it's fucking clever...[/quote']

I completely agree, Tool are one of very very few bands who interest me from a lyrical point of view, their lyrics are insanely cleverly done and not so cryptic that it takes a stab in the dark to figure out the meaning behind them. A lot of their lyrics seem very bitter towards idiots aswell....which I love.