aberdeen-music

Mastering - Contact for Mike Diguid?

Steve_Start

If you have everything recorded onto seperate tracks then i could do it for nothing.

Then i could give you a listen if you like it then we can disscus a fee if not then its more experience for me.

I ask this because if this is recorded like at captain toms then the mix will be crap too.

Also if the mix is not right then the mastering would not do any justice.

Anyway i offered to do this for nothing as a learning curve and then disscus a fee not £200 for 30 min.

As it has been said in this forum before. Most bands cant afford this.

Bands pay for reherseal about £12 hour. Then they have gear to buy string break and so on. All the time put in making songs writing tunes.

All this effort to go and play a gig in some shitty Aberdeen venue that is going to give you £20 for the band if your lucky. Some may even charge the band for use of the pa.

I suppose its all about making money from the bands. But really its the bands that should be making something.

If there was no bands to put on in the first place then most venues would see there profits go down the drain.

I ask this because if this is recorded like at captain toms then the mix will be crap too.

Speaking out yer arse... I've heard tonnes of great mixes come out of captain toms

Get in touch with Phat Tom for mastering or Paul at Captain Toms

Speaking out yer arse... I've heard tonnes of great mixes come out of captain toms

Get in touch with Phat Tom for mastering or Paul at Captain Toms

I have also heard tonnes of crap too.

Ok say i go to toms for recording live 3 Hours and at the end i get a cd thats only purpose would be to get a rough idea of what the songs sound like.

Then would a mini disc not do the same job. Sure these cant be used for a demo cd.

Wouldnt the best way be to have all the people that mix and master to do a track demo for a band and then let the band choose who gets the job.

This would take up time and everybody wants money for this.

Can you point me in the direction of these quality recordings so i can hear for myself. Ones that are not masterd or mixed afterwards. Ones that you get offerd at the end of your 3 hours recording.

The mixes from toms sound crap for a multitude of reasons, none of which are done to the actual "mix down" process at toms...it usually a lost cause by then, and you can't polish a turd...well you can, but you will make it a shinier more prominent turd, and who wants that?

The acoustics in Toms are awful, the mics and desk are all budget jobs, the backline is awful so if bands don't provide their own gear there is no hope, the multitrack machine is far too limited, they would be better off with an old reel to reel....but in Cap Tom's defence, most band expect miracles when they spend £30 on recording 27 songs in 2 hours...recipe for disaster.

Some studios can churn out album quality material in a matter of hours because the sound in the live room sounds perfect, the desk is an older model with more refined preamps, and the recording medium is tape.

Why not download a cracked copy of sound forge or wavelab and load in some "CD MASTER" presets, as this is what most local chumps charge you for anyway...

I think the 3 hour deal in toms is a means to an end. Yes, the sound is sometimes not just right, and it's down to the studio guy to mix it while he goes. This might not be really the best sound for the band members, ie bass too loud, drums weak etc etc.. However, it gives people who are not studio wise a chance to get into a studio and put down tracks. We did this, with some of the results mentioned above.

What we ended up with was 22 songs to chose from to put on to a cd for handing out to pubs. When doing so we could in truth say that this is what we sound like live. Not 6 layers of guitars etc and a fancy production to fool the venue owners into thinking they were getting the NE version of U2 etc etc.

Hurray for Toms 3hrs deals;)

Had a listen to closed gate. Where was this recorded. The drums lack power and are very thin sounding. It sounds to me like a toms recording. I could be wrong though.

All Filthpact recordings past and present have been done at captain toms, none however in the 3 hour deal mentioned, with 99% of the quality heavier bands in this city choosing to record there i think this figure speaks for itself.

Anyway if you think you can offer a better job for these lads mate then you go for it...

What format does tom do? Can i get the recordings of the seperate tracks in cubase, sonar?

Does this cost more?

Well if you send a good recording im not speaking about overdubs to a venue then you would have a better chance of getting booked. At least this helps you get in the door in the first place.

Is it not about promoting your self in the first place.

Here is a recording of my band we sound crap and are crap will you give us a gig? NO

All Filthpact recordings past and present have been done at captain toms' date=' none however in the 3 hour deal mentioned, with 99% of the quality heavier bands in this city choosing to record there i think this figure speaks for itself.

Anyway if you think you can offer a better job for these lads mate then you go for it...[/quote']

I though so.

I did not think it was the 3 hour deal it sounds too good for that.

You took the more expensive way. Hope this did not break the bank.

Pay 200 for a demo cd to get a gig that pays 20. Sign up here.:stupid:

Well if you send a good recording im not speaking about overdubs to a venue then you would have a better chance of getting booked. At least this helps you get in the door in the first place.

Is it not about promoting your self in the first place.

Here is a recording of my band we sound crap and are crap will you give us a gig? NO

Yes recorded myself live at the three lums. This was recorded using my pc. I used 3 sound cards 1 built in to the motherboard 1 pci soundblaster and a line port. The keyboard was midi to the pc. Bass amp di to line port. 2 sound cards giving me 4 mono line in. This was used for the drums. Left line on 1 sound card for kick, right for snare and the other sound card left and right for over heads. Vocals and guitar recorded on a mini disc and added later. Vocals recorded to the left channel and gutiar to the right.

All recorded onto there own seperate tracks.

These have still to be finidshed.add backing vocals as ran out of available tracks and mix a bit better.

There was no extra work involved apart from some extra leads for doing this. Get the levels right for each channel then press record. This was experimental to see how the sound cards would sync and things. All worked out fine with good results.

My next move is to get a 18 channel firewire desk. This will alow for everything to be recored at once onto there own tracks.

Most of the work was done later at home mixing and mastering.

I have templates for sonar and cubase that put in place all tracks needed for a band and waves plugins ie gates comp,eq that sort of stuff. So this is a good starting point recording that only needs slight adjustments.

for mastering i use a few , har bal, ozone and aams.

All this effort to go and play a gig in some shitty Aberdeen venue that is going to give you 20 for the band if your lucky. Some may even charge the band for use of the pa.

I suppose its all about making money from the bands. But really its the bands that should be making something.

If there was no bands to put on in the first place then most venues would see there profits go down the drain.

And if there was no venues, the bands would get nothing regardless and would have to spend a hell of a lot more on getting their name out there. It's a two way thing - but really, 20 is better than having to pay to play the venue in the first place.

I can't be bothered going into the economics of it, but the amount of money needed just so a band can get to play for free is astronomical.

Where, out of interest, charges bands for using the PA?

Yes recorded myself live at the three lums. This was recorded using my pc. I used 3 sound cards 1 built in to the motherboard 1 pci soundblaster and a line port. The keyboard was midi to the pc. Bass amp di to line port. 2 sound cards giving me 4 mono line in. This was used for the drums. Left line on 1 sound card for kick' date=' right for snare and the other sound card left and right for over heads. Vocals and guitar recorded on a mini disc and added later. Vocals recorded to the left channel and gutiar to the right.

All recorded onto there own seperate tracks.

These have still to be finidshed.add backing vocals as ran out of available tracks and mix a bit better.

There was no extra work involved apart from some extra leads for doing this. Get the levels right for each channel then press record. This was experimental to see how the sound cards would sync and things. All worked out fine with good results.

My next move is to get a 18 channel firewire desk. This will alow for everything to be recored at once onto there own tracks.

Most of the work was done later at home mixing and mastering.

I have templates for sonar and cubase that put in place all tracks needed for a band and waves plugins ie gates comp,eq that sort of stuff. So this is a good starting point recording that only needs slight adjustments.

for mastering i use a few , har bal, ozone and aams.[/quote']

Is there a simple programme for Mixing? I have 4 complete songs ready to whack on cd but apart from simply trying to get everything sounding at the right level I dont have a scooby.:O