aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Rappers!!!! hahahaha

Dan G

Yeah' date=' not a problem. Tell you waht though, how about we get some lyrics for some of the local Metal bands printed out as well? Dan Atom seems to dislike Granite Emcees quite a bit so how about some of the stuff by his band? (I've no idea what his bands lyrics are like, I'm just looking at example and not getting at him personally).

I'm a bit disappointed with the reaction in this thread - it veers from the hostile ("they're shite") to the patronising ("how twee"). Thankfully, lepeep, Stripey, daveofficer and a few other one off comments by others are at least constructive and can see the potential in the music.

The rapping and the video aren't the greatest but, fuck me let's be honest here, it shits from a great height on a load of the bands that play regularly around town.

i think one of the problems they face are that they're unique in a local sense - everybody else is Metal, Emo, Indie, Singer/songwriter or a punk covers band. Here's people who are prepared to swim against the tide of local musical tastes and, for their troubles, they just get ridiculed.

Shame really, I'd hoped there would have been a lot more open minded people with more constructive critical comments than the half dozen or so here.

Granite Emcees have a long way to go in order to become great rappers. Looks like they've further to go to overcome narrow minded locals.[/quote']

That's well said, that is.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I very much doubt the Granite Emcees would have the same tolerance for anymetal and punk music than most of the people slating them on here have for hip hop as a whole.

It's also a bit hypocritical calling someone patronising for calling them 'twee'. No worse than deciding they're good by default.

I very much doubt the Granite Emcees would have the same tolerance for anymetal and punk music than most of the people slating them on here have for hip hop as a whole.

It's also a bit hypocritical calling someone patronising for calling them 'twee'. No worse than deciding they're good by default.

why do you think people are deciding that they're good by default? i thought it was pretty good on it's own merits. i don't listen to a huge amount of hip hop but probably more than your average indie fan and it's not far off the standard of some acts you can freely buy in the shops. i'm not sticking up for them cause they're different but because they're good. alot of people in this thread seem to have decided they're bad by default, just cause they're from aberdeen and rap in aberdeen accents. always nice to hear rap that doesn't mention guns.

nobody's decided they're "good by default", people are just trying to be open minded for something that's different in the local scene. Variety being the spice of life and all that.

"Twee" annoyed me. It sounded so patronising, in my opinion, and to be followed up by "bless" was irritating. Just one of a few comments in here that did that, though.

I'm not saying that the video is the greatest, or the rhymes are up there with Rakin in terms of lyrical dexterity or even the beats make RZA sound hollow but, it's different, it's fresh and it brings a smile to your face on occasions.

Constructive criticism, remember?

one point that is pissing me off, is that Aberdonians think that the video is crap, because it features places Like Seaton and pitodrie....so what?! isn't that where they are from?

I don't hear many people laughing at NWA, because they filmed their video in compton, the place they live in?!

(unless there was a board with people from Compton saying "check the twats making a video featuring the place they live, what a bunch of dicks, who do they think they are?" *)

* = don't give me the line that NWA are better rappers, I know that, it's the simple slagging of a video and its contents I am speaking about here.

one point that is pissing me off' date=' is that Aberdonians think that the video is crap, because it features places Like Seaton and pitodrie....so what?! isn't that where they are from?

I don't hear many people laughing at NWA, because they filmed their video in compton, the place they live in?!

(unless there was a board with people from Compton saying "check the twats making a video featuring the place they live, what a bunch of dicks, who do they think they are?" *)

* = don't give me the line that NWA are better rappers, I know that, it's the simple slagging of a video and its contents I am speaking about here.[/quote']

Maybe if they'd filmed the video in South Central or The Bronx then people would start to think they were "4 real".

Guest bluesxman

I didn't think it was that bad actually, the first rapper was pretty good, nice guttural kind of style. The other guy doing the solo spot later wasn't so great though, needs to 'rough up' his vocal style a bit, sounds too clean cut. The video in the strip club etc was a bit wanky but then I suppose that comes from having to do it on the cheap, similar scenes in vids by Snoop Dogg, Dre etc would feature loads of pole dancers, they probably had to cobble together all their cash just to hire that one lass for the afternoon! The only bit that was truly cringeworthy was where they were sitting in KFC or McDonalds.

The backing track was pretty nice, reminiscent of Wu Tang Clan/Temples Of Boom-era Cypress Hill style with the twangy strings and female vocal. I certainly found that less laughable than some of the metal tunes I've seen posted on here with the comedy vocals that are way too loud for the music.

Yeah' date=' not a problem. Tell you waht though, how about we get some lyrics for some of the local Metal bands printed out as well? Dan Atom seems to dislike Granite Emcees quite a bit so how about some of the stuff by his band? (I've no idea what his bands lyrics are like, I'm just looking at example and not getting at him personally).

I'm a bit disappointed with the reaction in this thread - it veers from the hostile ("they're shite") to the patronising ("how twee"). Thankfully, lepeep, Stripey, daveofficer and a few other one off comments by others are at least constructive and can see the potential in the music.

The rapping and the video aren't the greatest but, fuck me let's be honest here, it shits from a great height on a load of the bands that play regularly around town.

i think one of the problems they face are that they're unique in a local sense - everybody else is Metal, Emo, Indie, Singer/songwriter or a punk covers band. Here's people who are prepared to swim against the tide of local musical tastes and, for their troubles, they just get ridiculed.

Shame really, I'd hoped there would have been a lot more open minded people with more constructive critical comments than the half dozen or so here.

Granite Emcees have a long way to go in order to become great rappers. Looks like they've further to go to overcome narrow minded locals.[/quote']

Fullly agree. I think they do have potential; and their video and song recording was at a much higher standard than many Aberdeen bands i've seen and heard over the last 6years. Mark my words, if they have the foresight; they'll be playing TBreak next year (Anyone see the Abdominal Showmen?)

The video does give into a lot of the percieved stereotypes with rap bands, i.e. obligatory stripper. But there is a look at the bleakness of Aberdeen, which they describe in the lyrics, which i think works well - Note: the bleakness of your surroundings, could also be a stereotype i suppose, but at least their not singing about their holidays in America.

If they altered any of these stereotypes, for example sang about scotch broth around at their grannies; you would all be jumping down their throughts for being like Goldie Looking Chain. So let them get on with what they want to do, and i'm sure they'll let you guys appreciate whatever music you listen to/play without any driveby's :up:

[/quote']

I don't "dislike" Granite emcees at all. I just think that song wasn't very good. And what with that being MY opinion, I will stick it. It's not a lack of un-openmindedness; if I thought they were good, this thread might have been called "check out this quality rapping from an aberdeen band/group/posse..." or whatever white middle class kids from da ghetto wish to be referred to as.

http://www.myspace.com/mymindsweapon

There's some of my songs, feel free to slate it all you want because if that is actually your opinion, I'm not gonna complain.

i think one of the problems they face are that they're unique in a local sense - everybody else is Metal' date=' Emo, Indie, Singer/songwriter or a punk covers band. Here's people who are prepared to swim against the tide of local musical tastes and, for their troubles, they just get ridiculed.

[/quote']

Wrong! Uniqueness has nothing to do with it. I'm also not a particular fan of indie, jazz, classical or dance music - but can at least appreciate it if I think it is any good.

The rapping and the video aren't the greatest

that's what I was getting at in the first place.

Granite Emcees have a long way to go in order to become great rappers.

That too.

that's what I was getting at in the first place.....

That too.

it's just a shame you didn't put it elloquently or constructively in the first place then, eh?

you have to agree that no one here is telling you you have to like it, and , yes, having an opinion about something is good, but just flatly typing "it's shite" or "Aberdeen Rappers!!!! hahahaha " isn't very constructive, helpful or mature, no?

it's just a shame you didn't put it elloquently or constructively in the first place then' date=' eh?

you have to agree that no one here is telling you you have to like it, and , yes, having an opinion about something is good, but just flatly typing "it's shite" or "Aberdeen Rappers!!!! hahahaha " isn't very constructive, helpful or mature, no?[/quote']

Fair point, and I agree that I could have certainly worded it more maturely. However my main reason for 'hahahaha' (etc) was because the idea of middle class white boys from Westhill filming themselves in the most ghetto looking places in Aberdeen amuses me. And that's before listening to the words.

From what I understand, a large amount of music is a product of it's environment. For example, Orange County USA, being beautiful and sunny produces a lot of happy feel good pop-punk, and as soon as bands like Dirtbox (from Perth) attempt to recreate it - they get ripped to shreds, even though they do it well. Same goes for the americans recreating British indie, they just can't do it like the northern english because they don't know what it's like to be from gloomy manchester etc. Hip-hop being similar, just instead you've got the inner-city race-prejudice slums of LA/New York compared to the middle class pleasantry of suburban Aberdeenshire.

Now i'm not saying that you HAVE to be from somewhere certain to enjoy/perform a certain style of music; I'm sure those dudes love their hip-hop - however, that video didn't feel particularly 'real' to me, if that makes sense.

If I'm forced to be constructive; the filming quality was decent, the background beats not too bad, and it could have been a lot worse. Oh and the black guy "being specific about heiroglyphics" during the chorus sounded alright too....

probably not enough "beatdowns".

HAHAHAHAHAHA. No.

one point that is pissing me off' date=' is that Aberdonians think that the video is crap, because it features places Like Seaton and pitodrie....so what?! isn't that where they are from?[/quote']

But it is so blatantly obvious they are trying too hard and make it look like they are "Straight Outta Compton"

But it is so blatantly obvious they are trying too hard and make it look like they are "Straight Outta Compton"

nope, looks to me like they are making an architypal rap video, with their home town in it.

just like any spotty emo kid would like to make a video with them playing in front of their mates in a tiny room, interspersed with "live" shots...if they had the opportunity to make their "first video".

give them a fucking break, they made a video in black and white, shot in aberdeen, lip synched and pretty well made (whether or not the CONTENT is any good, which I happen to think it's pretty fucking good for a first go), not that many of you lot actually know what goes into making a video.

I think they are pretty enterprising, and if you don't (whether or not you think the output is good , up your street, your gran likes it) I don't care, I'm arguing it's good to see someone get off their arse in aberdeen and DO SOMETHING, and not just talk about it (as most of the foo's on this site seem to do).

And all the Metal bands stand posturing about as if they're from Valhalla, all the indie bands mope around as if they're in Manchester 1980 in the pouring rain and all the singer/songwriters in town look dead serious.

So why give the rappers such a hard time?

Fair point' date=' and I agree that I could have certainly worded it more maturely. However my main reason for 'hahahaha' (etc) was because the idea of middle class white boys from Westhill filming themselves in the most ghetto looking places in Aberdeen amuses me. And that's before listening to the words.

From what I understand, a large amount of music is a product of it's environment. For example, Orange County USA, being beautiful and sunny produces a lot of happy feel good pop-punk, and as soon as bands like Dirtbox (from Perth) attempt to recreate it - they get ripped to shreds, even though they do it well. Same goes for the americans recreating British indie, they just can't do it like the northern english because they don't know what it's like to be from gloomy manchester etc. Hip-hop being similar, just instead you've got the inner-city race-prejudice slums of LA/New York compared to the middle class pleasantry of suburban Aberdeenshire.

Now i'm not saying that you HAVE to be from somewhere certain to enjoy/perform a certain style of music; I'm sure those dudes love their hip-hop - however, that video didn't feel particularly 'real' to me, if that makes sense.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. No.[/quote']

you see, if you do look at the video (for its merrits), there are actually some!

as for the content of their raps etc, how do you know how these guys feel about aberdeen? do you know them? they might be having a pish time, and want to express that in a rap!...

too much supposition and not enough caring about facts, but hey! that's intersnek chit chat rooms / mess age bored s for you.

you see' date=' if you do look at the video (for its merrits), there are actually some![/quote']

I wasn't slating the video in the first place... it was the content! (in fact the video itself is shot pretty damn well - again, not the content)

as for the content of their raps etc' date=' how do you know how these guys feel about aberdeen? do you know them? they might be having a pish time, and want to express that in a rap!...[/quote']

Possibly, although they don't seem to be rapping about having a pish time. They appear to be hanging about outside the Seaton tower blocks, the tunnels, and a strip club rapping about taking hip-hop to a higher level (near the sun) and delivering the music everone wants to hear. And I still stand by the fact that any song featuring the line; "I rap all day, every week and all day" isn't gonna win any awards for best lyrics... :D

Hip-hop being similar' date=' just instead you've got the inner-city race-prejudice slums of LA/New York compared to the middle class pleasantry of suburban Aberdeenshire.[/quote']

Aye and if where they live (which happens to be where I live) is in fact a shite place to live, "Chino" is one of the type of people making it shite. People like him have to do their best to convince themselves it's a ghetto...and if that means pointing BB guns at people in black clothes then that's what they'll do :laughing:

"I rap all day' date=' every week and all day" isn't gonna win any awards for best lyrics... :D[/quote']

he he, as I said, a thesaurus might come in handy, like a can of shandy, it's dandy, it's getting me randy, like a dog, or a hog, humping a log, I got's ta get this shit blogged, written and put down, like the old grey town, that I live in, the deen, it's obscene, if you know what I mean, I'm sick to my spleen, with all my dreams breakin on the rocks, puttin up with all these cocks on aberdeen-music.com, peace...out...

ho ho...perhaps I should put in my CV...

PS< I've posted it twice, but here's my last video effort, published now on the Adnoiseam DVD...

http://www.g-r-a.co.uk/mothboy.htm

http://www.adnoiseam.net/label/catalog/60/enter.htm

Hi i am one of the MCs in the track, i have seen this getting allot of talk across the board, i thikn its 2nd maybe 3rd post dedicated to the video and we have never promoted it ANYWHERE except our myspace and our own website.

The video was never ment to be anything great, it was infact just for our website to let people put a face to the name, we done it with a real old camera and just the pc, i edited myself having never done anything with video myself, we tried to put sometihng together that showed aberdeen and showed us.

As for Granite Emcees as a hole, Granite Emcees are a group that holds MCs and DJs taht have come together to make a project to be sold in aberdeen to let the Bands and Hip hop listners to hear that there is actually rap in aberdeen.

We only planned to do this as a gate way, maybe to get our indivdual selfs further with making music or maybe inspire the next man to rap and do something you know.

It is the only cd we will make and release as a group, every beat on the cd was Produced by myself (for whoever is sreading that its stolen) and terence Supaproducer.

ALL is our own original material and ALL has been recorded in the bedroom and all done off our own backs, we pressed the cds, posters, stickers, flyers etc etc all ourselfs (which is this time has left me in debt) and thanksfully Dropzone Record picked it up and gave us a distribution deal allowing us to sell in a number of places around the country and on the web.

So like i said it was a building project from the beginning, its the start and End of granite emcees and its just to give a slight insite of the scene in aberdeen.

As for anything else I myself with an English rapper called "leady" are releasing a CD/12" in Summer featuring some of the UKs best (and top selling) underground Hip Hop acts including Mr Jinx, Eyezofman & A-Bomb, Tekneek etc and the cd is introduced by USA underground rapper Q-Unique (arrsonists and signed to ill bill of non-phixions lable)

thanks to all posts good or bad, it helps us build

In an ironic twist of events, I have found out that the reason the video got posted up here was because stripey infact knows one of the emcees.

In turn stripey informed his brother of the video who happens to be one of my buddies at uni, and he mass emailed it to everyone in the class. I then copied and pasted the email up here.... how very odd.

The fact that you have a distribution deal puts you ahead of 99% of Aberdeen bands in my eyes.

Take on board whatever pieces of praise and criticism you want from this board, and keep striving to improve what you are doing. I think there is definite promise there, and the quality of backing track especially shows you are heading in the right direction