aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Rappers!!!! hahahaha

Dan G

"Chino" was in my brother's year at school. In the ghetto that is Westhill.

He wore a bandana. I refuse to actually call him "Chino", his name is Stephen Scott.

There's actually a growing rap scene in Westhill, it's fucking hilarious. One of their best lines :

"I've been livin' in a box for 6 months now, all because I killed some cow."

Genius. I'll probably be the victim of a driveby now.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Chino" was in my brother's year at school. In the ghetto that is Westhill.

He wore a bandana. I refuse to actually call him "Chino"' date=' his name is Stephen Scott.

There's actually a growing rap scene in Westhill, it's fucking hilarious. One of their best lines :

"I've been livin' in a box for 6 months now, all because I killed some cow."

Genius. I'll probably be the victim of a driveby now.[/quote']

ah yes "chino"

his mother does the payroll at work. ghetto stylee

jeez, good to see all the aberdeen massive being so constructively critical...

some valid and well put arguments as to why these guys "suck, are shite blah"...

I liked this quote : "I've been exposed to rapping fairly regularly" ... shit ! get this man into a decontamination unit quick!...he might develop the rare and deadly virus : Openus mindedus...I hear it can cripple an Aberdonian, and isolate him from friends and family, a sad disease indeed.

As I'd said, I didn't think the rapping was particularly good, but I do think they could go somewhere, with a bit of practice and focus, their beats are pretty good.

but, let's get all the people who have no basis for comparison, as the only "rap" they've heard / got is either Eminimemnem, or Cypress Hill.....

I'd say that these guys (bad rappers though they are at the moment), could probably piss on all the 3rd rate "whatever's popular in metal this week" aberdeen bands.

Actually' date=' it is funny because it is rubbish. And additionally, the aberdeen accent just sounds awful when rapping. Like french rap, it just sounds AIDS.

I would say the same about a metal band if they were rubbish.

I'm not laughing because they are rappers from Aberdeen, I'm laughing because they are rappers who aren't very good and they happen to be from Aberdeen.

But whatever dude, if you think those lyrics are good then i'm happy for you :up:

I could fart in a milk bottle with a banjo rammed up my arse - and it would be 'different' to what most people are trying, but that shouldn't mean that everyone HAS to say it's good.[/quote']

that's not how it came across, particularly with the title of this thread being what it is.

french hip hop is ace by the way. if ever there was a language made to fit the rhythm of hip hop it's french, it's got such a good natural rhythm it just works. check out the soundtrack to the movie la haine for a good intro to french hip hop.

that's not how it came across' date=' particularly with the title of this thread being what it is. [/quote']

I just found the whole thing reminiscent of a HEBS advert, or a 10am channel 4 educational programme on morals at school, or something. Although like a few people have said previously, the backing track isn't too bad.

trench hip hop is ace by the way. if ever there was a language made to fit the rhythm of hip hop it's french' date=' it's got such a good natural rhythm it just works. check out the soundtrack to the movie la haine for a good intro to french hip hop. [/quote']

I'll put my hand up and be honest here and say that I haven't heard much french rap, other than the bollocks I was subjected to in French Lesson videos at school... but that stuff was hilarious. Here are my two favourite lines from the GMCs though:

"I rap all day, every week and all day"

"bringing hip-hop to a higher level, near the sun"

Strangely, I thought that the Aberdeen accent sounded not bad in a rap. The music behind it wasn't bad either. My only criticism is the lyrics are fairly shit, but then that's just my opinion. I'd actually quite like to see them live, although the "moves" seemed rather contrived and unnatural. Maybe they'd be less so if they weren't playing up to a video camera?

Heather

I don't see why they're being credited for doing something different. They're pretty standard white boy wannabe gangster hip hop.

I'm sure someone could be arsed going into the technical details of why they are a substandard example hip hop... but until then, calling them shit will suffice.

I dont think they are good at the moment, it's a bit too corny for my liking, but they do have potential...

the fact they use their own accents is a good thing though.

I'll put my hand up and be honest here and say that I haven't heard much french rap

Check out MC Solaar' date=' he is really good and the backing tracks are great.

Check out this DJ Krush vid aswell for some japanese rap action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSdeHV3aYTM&search=dj%20krush

One of the reasons rap in foreign languages appeals to me is that even if you can't understand the lyrical content, it forces you to focus more on the rhythmical nature of the flow.

You like them? I need say no more

I like them for having the enthusiasm and the balls to do it in the first place, and they deserve a degree of respect for that.

And yes, you need say no more, because you never, ever have anything intelligent, worthwhile or mature to say anyway.

I like them for having the enthusiasm and the balls to do it in the first place' date=' and they deserve a degree of respect for that.

And yes, you need say no more, because you never, ever have anything intelligent, worthwhile or mature to say anyway.[/quote']

I'll agree with you first point, you have to have some balls to actually act like an idiot on purpose.

But anyway, since when did doing something different automatically mean it is good?

can't......understand.....lyrics.......

if anyone cares to wirte a few out for my amusement.....?

Yeah, not a problem. Tell you waht though, how about we get some lyrics for some of the local Metal bands printed out as well? Dan Atom seems to dislike Granite Emcees quite a bit so how about some of the stuff by his band? (I've no idea what his bands lyrics are like, I'm just looking at example and not getting at him personally).

I'm a bit disappointed with the reaction in this thread - it veers from the hostile ("they're shite") to the patronising ("how twee"). Thankfully, lepeep, Stripey, daveofficer and a few other one off comments by others are at least constructive and can see the potential in the music.

The rapping and the video aren't the greatest but, fuck me let's be honest here, it shits from a great height on a load of the bands that play regularly around town.

i think one of the problems they face are that they're unique in a local sense - everybody else is Metal, Emo, Indie, Singer/songwriter or a punk covers band. Here's people who are prepared to swim against the tide of local musical tastes and, for their troubles, they just get ridiculed.

Shame really, I'd hoped there would have been a lot more open minded people with more constructive critical comments than the half dozen or so here.

Granite Emcees have a long way to go in order to become great rappers. Looks like they've further to go to overcome narrow minded locals.