aberdeen-music

Gain boost?

Scott!

are you sure this isn't just an mxr micro amp clone?

Nope, modified Rangemaster clone

Scott, if you want, I have an EQ and a couple of Boost pedals I could let you try if you liked, not really the best boutique pedals out there, but definately servicable to give you an idea of how it would sound.

Some Eq's are noisey, I know you can get mods for the Boss GE-7 to quieten it down, and the Dano mini is supposed to excellent sounding, especially for the cash

As for pickups, check out Kent Armstrong, great sounds for little cash...

David

Guest Gasss

I would recommend the Crowther Audio Hotcake as a boost. It's an overdrive, but is entirely different to a tubescreamer - it doesn't compress the sound, add much noise (unless on extreme settings) or cut bottom end. The presence and gain controls are highly interactive so you can get a wide variety of sounds, from a perfectly preserved clean boost to overdrive to all out fuzz. It's my most treasured pedal and I've used it for all these things - most recently for overdriving my Bassman ;(

You can buy them direct from Paul Crowther in New Zealand for less . I got mine for about 80 5 years ago.

harmony central reviews

croth@clear.net.nz

Mind you, the DAM stuff looks pretty good.

If you were dead set on an EQ, you could get a Danelectro Fish n' Chips mini pedal pretty cheap. It's much quieter than a GE-7.

Alternatively to spending a fortune on gadgets, also check some of the basics;

First the height of the pickups, you can raise them up to say 2 mm gap to string (with last fret pressed).

Most importantly, check your amp- perhaps there is a slight mismatch in impedance, this can make a big difference. Try the telecaster on different amps, or try some effect pedals - any will do - see if the gain is much better.

Minimise the length of your guitar cable, and use good quality cable.

Hope this helps.

EDIT- re-reading your initial post you say that the GE-7 increases your gain - this is indicative of bad impedance matching between your telecaster and amp - the GE-7 takes in higher impedance and puts out low impedance.

Guest lime ruined my life
Right' date=' thanks for all the ideas! I'm not really hugely attracted by the Tubescreamer as I'd prefer a cleaner boost, & not really terribly keen on pickups either as it's kind of a project/junker (as much as I hate to say it!) guitar & I don't want to dump tons of money into it. The equaliser's looking like a good choice right now but, as Ikaruga said, HarmonyCentral consensus says it's supposed to be insanely noisy, which I'm not really terribly enthusiastic about.[/quote']

if you feel handy with a soldering iron,i beleive it's possible to reduce the amount of noise produced by using higher end IC's and capacitors, but for all the hassle it might be worth getting the fish and chips.

Guest Bailz
Maxon OD808 ;)

or failing that a decent tubescreamer eg the TS9

Is that related to the Tubescreamer? The original Tubescreamer being the TS808. Presumably they have the same clipping chip in them?

Is that related to the Tubescreamer? The original Tubescreamer being the TS808. Presumably they have the same clipping chip in them?

maxon and ibanez is sort of akin to roland and boss, originally maxon sold ibanez the effect boards, if you open up a vintage ibanez effect you'll sometimes see "maxon" printed on the circuit board.

Have you got one of these? How much? How does it sound?

dam7.jpg

It arrived today! 8)

It sounds great' date=' all the various settings sound musical/usable, versatile piece of kit thats for sure!!!

It's making my Pro Junior siiiiiing!

There's another one on ebay now:

[url']http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Differential-Audio-Manifestationz_Stompboxes_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ2QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Have you thought of a Zvex Super Hard On, or now known as a SHO. I got one and they the boost the signal by 20db. They have components from old recording/mixing desk inside and this is why the boost is so clean.

If it's used with a higher gain setting the actual volume increase is not so pronounced, but it fattens up the sound great.

I used my one in the effects loop sometimes and it has the effects of give any sound being used at time a massive boost.

But I still prefer it through the front end for that fattening effect it has.

Have you thought of a Zvex Super Hard On' date=' or now known as a SHO. I got one and they the boost the signal by 20db. They have components from old recording/mixing desk inside and this is why the boost is so clean.

If it's used with a higher gain setting the actual volume increase is not so pronounced, but it fattens up the sound great.

I used my one in the effects loop sometimes and it has the effects of give any sound being used at time a massive boost.

But I still prefer it through the front end for that fattening effect it has.[/quote']

I'd really love one, but just couldn't swing the cash. Anyway, I borrowed David's MXR 6 band EQ for a little while and decided that, for the money, it's probably the best bet for me.

Have you thought of a Zvex Super Hard On' date=' or now known as a SHO. I got one and they the boost the signal by 20db. They have components from old recording/mixing desk inside and this is why the boost is so clean.

But I still prefer it through the front end for that fattening effect it has.[/quote']

So called because it's "super hard" on your amp.

Really?

I will say that the SHO is very fussy about where is goes in the line up. It can boost some of the other pedals way too much which causes a right racket!

i can imagine, it has a massive input impedance aswell, i think it's designed to sit right infront of a tube amp with nothing else inline.

i can imagine' date=' it has a massive input impedance aswell, i think it's designed to sit right infront of a tube amp with nothing else inline.[/quote']

Tried few times with my Wyllie Moon Rock....oh my god!!! What a racket, not quite feedback or anything, just a hellava racket;(

Just in the front of the amp is sweet though;)