aberdeen-music

Computer question.

Guest Craig C

Guest Craig C

My hard drive isn't as 'quiet' as it used to be. It's app 2 years old and just recently, it has started to 'buzz' a lot louder than when first bought. I'm thinking it could be one of the fans inside starting to go. I've opened up the tower itself and gave it a good clean but no joy.

My questions are, is it expensive to replace the fan? and is it quiet easy to do? I don't really want to have to drag the thing down to a computer shop to have replaced, but will do if ness.

Thanks in advance,

Craig :up:

Guest Craig C
Yes' date=' replacing a case fan is pretty simple to do. But I'm confused - hard drives don't have fans (unless it's a external hard drive in an enclosure). So is the buzzing coming from a dying fan or the hard drive?[/quote']

You can tell my computer knowledge is minimal LOL. Erm, it's coming from the fan.

Guest onlynik

It deppends on which fan is making the noise, but its pretty easy to do, case fans are about £5 and come in 2 sizes generally, 80mm or 120mm.

get yourself along here and ask fior a new fan, take the old one with you if you want.

http://www.neponline.co.uk/customer/

Fan will probably connect into one of the molex connectors coming from the power supply, just make sure PC is off before doing this.

Guest Craig C
usualy when buzzing can be heard from pc's its the hd not the fan' date=' if the fans faulty it will not work if it does work why would it buzz? not unless theres a wire infront of it that it continualy hits...-[/quote']

So assuming it's the hardrive, is there anything that can be done to sort it?

Guest onlynik
usualy when buzzing can be heard from pc's its the hd not the fan' date=' if the fans faulty it will not work if it does work why would it buzz? not unless theres a wire infront of it that it continualy hits...-[/quote']

Or dust in it can make the fan noisy, i'd say a buzzing was a fan, clicking would be a HD.

jasey... the bearings in the fan begin to wear and eventually expire after long periods of use...(or bad assembly) so first it buzzes/ humms etc...then slows, then seizes all together... all bearings eventually fail...