aberdeen-music

Genevieve signed??

Sam 45

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so does that mean its now possible to sign yourself up to rip yourself off finantially and systematically destroy any talent you may have in favour of making the blandest possible mucical contribution in an attempt to pay of your signing on advance?

think of it, 20 years of paying a debt back to yourself and self inflicted musical compromise!

genius!

so does that mean its now possible to sign yourself up to rip yourself off finantially and systematically destroy any talent you may have in favour of making the blandest possible mucical contribution in an attempt to pay of your signing on advance?

think of it' date=' 20 years of paying a debt back to yourself and self inflicted musical compromise!

genius![/quote']

How big is that chip on your shoulder? ;)

As a side point, we have a new song on our myspace called 'Sound Of The City' which is taken from our forthcoming EP 'Shield'.

www.myspace.com/genevieveuk

The full tracklisting of 'Shield' is:

1. Oh! Stephen

2. Sound Of The City

3. Call

4. All I've Ever Done

5. Halfdone Jigsaw

They are all different versions from the ones that were on our myspace previously and are mastered.

The EP will be available within the next week and you can get one from any member of the band and from our gigs for £3.50.

As a side point' date=' we have a new song on our myspace called 'Sound Of The City' which is taken from our forthcoming EP 'Shield'.

[url']www.myspace.com/genevieveuk

The full tracklisting of 'Shield' is:

1. Oh! Stephen

2. Sound Of The City

3. Call

4. All I've Ever Done

5. Halfdone Jigsaw

They are all different versions from the ones that were on our myspace previously and are mastered.

The EP will be available within the next week and you can get one from any member of the band and from our gigs for 3.50.

I say swap sound of the city with alphabetty ;)

The EP will be available within the next week and you can get one from any member of the band and from our gigs for £3.50.

Thats expensive. I just got the Niles Barclay single for 1.79 and without being rude Id imagine it cost a lot more to make than your EP. I suggest you rethink your pricing policy.

Demos, Eps or whatever you want to call them should be free imo. If theres a national or international distributor or full time label staff and/or management involved then thats when a charge should kick in. But without that, charging anything for a DIY CD is ripping people off.

Thats expensive. I just got Niles Barclay single for 1.79 and without being rude Id imagine it cost a lot more to make than your EP. I suggest you rethink your pricing policy.

Demos' date=' Eps or whatever you want to call them should be free imo[/quote']

Errr, i guess you mean Gnarls Barkley....

To be honest, 3.50 isn't all that expensive. That Gnarls Barkley cd is a single and i guess you have maybe 2 or 3 tracks on it. We won't be selling the same sort of quantities as that release meaning that we would have to charge a little more to recoup our costs and also to allow for further releases.

Demos' date=' Eps or whatever you want to call them should be free imo. If theres a national or international distributor or full time label staff and/or management involved then thats when a charge should kick in. But without that, charging anything for a DIY CD is ripping people off.[/quote']

CD's should be reasonably priced, don't get me wrong, but if you're going on tour or playing a lot of gigs outside of town, charging for CD's (even if it's only a couple of quid) is essential. Gotta make some money to keep things rolling along somehow. It's always nice to recoup the money you've spent on recording the thing. Although T-shirts help with that too. Or should they be free as well if you're unsigned and without management?

CD's should be reasonably priced' date=' don't get me wrong, but if you're going on tour or playing a lot of gigs outside of town, charging for CD's (even if it's only a couple of quid) is essential. Gotta make some money to keep things rolling along somehow. It's always nice to recoup the money you've spent on recording the thing. Although T-shirts help with that too. Or should they be free as well if you're unsigned and without management?[/quote']

i think you either have to make it big as soon as possible (ie. get indie or major label backing) or remain a DIY band. of course, that depends on your bands ambition...

well, if there is label interest early on in the game, then you know that your band has something.

EDIT: of course, some bands "made it" after touring the DIY circuit for years, ie. modest mouse.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
charging anything for a DIY CD is ripping people off.

No, it isn't. The spindles of CDr's have to be bought, for a start, and they're 12 a go. Then you might have a situation, as I have at the moment, where the artwork eats up the printer ink like a bastard. Ink cartridges are hooringly expensive these days so it all adds up. I'm only asking 2 for the current SPD release, and the way things are going I'm going to lose money on it. Doesn't matter though, it's only money.

Seems to me that Genevieve are being very reasonable asking 3.50. They probably spent a fair bit on recording, whereas ours cost precisely the cost of a blank tape and the rehearsal time! I've seen local bands charging 5-6 quid for their ickle ep releases, now THAT'S ripping people off.

Thats expensive. I just got the Niles Barclay single for 1.79 and without being rude Id imagine it cost a lot more to make than your EP. I suggest you rethink your pricing policy.

Demos' date=' Eps or whatever you want to call them should be free imo. If theres a national or international distributor or full time label staff and/or management involved then thats when a charge should kick in. But without that, charging anything for a DIY CD is ripping people off.[/quote']

Ever heard of economies of scale? It's a lot cheaper per CD to make 50,000 than it is to make 200.

It's also relatively inexpensive to give away the odd CD, but not cheap to give away 200, especially with cases, artwork, labels included.

Then there's recording costs to factor in. Even if you own the equipment, what's wrong with trying to cover some of the costs?

Im just against charging money for something which is the product of a hobby. Which is realistically all demos and EPs are. Its like somebody making imitation toy trains in a shed and then selling them for more than a real train, when all their only investment or business risk has been a few evenings work and the cost of some glue and balsa wood. ''But hey Ive got to pay for my Glue and Blasa wood maaaan!, and what about the cost of lighting my shed!!!!....If Im gonna build the HMS Victory and sell it to the Royal Navy then ill need to recoup my expenditaure on powering this 40 watt light bulb and the purchase of this workbench from Argos!!!!......and dont forget the cost of the petrol to the model-makers fair in Wigan!!! I want that back too!!! So I can pretend Im professional!!!''

Get real.

From personal experience Ive had songs Ive written on both commercial realeases and done freebie demos etc and made the same from both .....next to nothing (after every else one else involved has taken their cut). But when I do a demo to hand round, Im sorry but Id be embarressed to ask people for money for it. Not because of the quality, but simply because a demo is not a commercial commodity, just something I did in my spare time, and would have done anyway for my own fun, so why ask my mates to give me cash for it????

Main point no one ever seems to get: If you do this whole music thing to make money or even ''break even'', then give up now. Go to college and get a job in a bank. If you DIY, you are talking pennies and wasting a lot of time counting them. If you get signed you are talking lots of cash. But not for you. Youll be in debt for years.

Nothing against Geneveeve though, Im talking about the broader issue of bands fooling themselves that they can be sellable or profitable commodities.

Plus: Music should be free anyway. (another thread)