aberdeen-music

Kitchen Cynics US Diary 06

Alan Cynic

:up: :up: :up: I'm not really moaning...it's all great!!

The East Village radio show didn't happen, because the WFMU one was a bit later in starting (although it went pretty well...it'll be broadcast in May sometime).

Yesterday I got an early bus to Boston, eventually found the venue and did a reasonable set, on the same bill as Paik and Landing (who were using two old moogs!).

We were supposed to get a lift to Providence, via the airport to pick up 2 Finnish bands, Kemialliset Ystavay and Avarus, and be home by 1 am, but their flight was delayed, and some of their instruments got lost, so by the time we got tp Providence it was 4 am!

We stayed with Black forest/Black Sea, who live in the same building that Lightning Bolt have their rehearsal rooms.

However the whole atmosphere is really positive, and I'm looking forward to seeing Acid Mother's Temple again tonight.

I was hanging out for a while with a Polish band called the Magic Carpathians, then it was a few beers before seeing Abunai, Bright & Acid Mothers.....'twas VG.

Today I raked round some record shops, and met a chap from a Lightning Bolt side project called the Wizzards (he has his own band called Bug-Sized Mind). Then it'll be the first proper Terrastock night.....yay!!!

I was hanging out for a while with a Polish band called the Magic Carpathians' date=' then it was a few beers before seeing Abunai, Bright & Acid Mothers.....'twas VG.

Today I raked round some record shops, and met a chap from a Lightning Bolt side project called the Wizzards (he has his own band called Bug-Sized Mind). Then it'll be the first proper Terrastock night.....yay!!![/quote']

Your not in ABERDEEEEEEEEN?!

I wondered why I hadn't seen you in Kilau!

I was chuffed that Lach was there (he was just back from a tour)' date=' and also the lovely Nan & Major Matt Mason of Schwervon (I 'bigged you up', Holy Folks!!!). [/quote']

aw Alan - you didnt need to do that!

When Me and Matt go to the sidewalk we'll name drop you every chance we get :p

Sounds like a dream of mine - sounds like your having a good time! Cant wait to hear more about it when you get back! And its been good to be able to read what you've been doing!

well done Mr Davidson - will try and get to your gig @ the lemon tree!

Yesterday was another great day......my highlights were Tanakh (who asked me up for a song), PG Six, Green Pajamas, Bardo Pond and Sharron Kraus. I ended up drinking and chatting with Jack Rose, Larkin Grimm, Fursaxa, Sharron and Black Forest/Black Sea, and got home at 4am.

Today's main ones for me are Cul De Sac and Tom Rapp.

It's all being webcast on KFJC......any chance somebody out there could record my set??? I dropped my mini disc,,and don't think I've time to get a replacement.

I'm on at 12.30 tomorrow (US time).

The skitters will start tonight, probably :)

The good ol' skitters/bath interface....luvvverly!

I was so busy with music/alcohol that I didn't get back on the internet again, so here's the summary of the last few days...

Saturday...the music began with a fantastic set by Cul De Sac. I've a few of their albums, but didn't expect them to be able to get the same kind of sound live, but they were amazing. I bought a few of their things which I didn't have, including their album with John Fahey. Landing were also fantastic...we swapped CDs (I hope they don't get upset when they hear mine!). I was settled down nicely in front of the stage enjoying Tom Rapp's set, in which he was joined by Damon & Naomi, KUrihara from Ghost etc, when I got called up to do finger cymbals. This I managed to balls up, having no finger cymbals experience, or sense of rhythym :) There was too much good music all day...I was delighted at hearing some great sets by bands who I'd read about, but never heard, eg the Magic Carpathians and Avarus, who were both very good. The night ended at a techo party in a local warehouse (home of Urdog) I left about 3.30am, amazingly sober, considering!!!! (I should've been tucked up in my bed earlier, with my live set looming!).

Sunday....got down to the venue at 10.30 to let guitar acclimatise, then went for coffee/bagels with Sharron Kraus, who was attemting to calm my nerves. Then I went to sound check, and DISASTER!!!!....the whole of the jack socket had fallen inside the guitar, but after a REALLY panicky ten minutes I managed to squeeze my hand inside and push it back through. So I plugged the lead in, and gaffa taped the lot to the guitar. Amazingly, it still sounded fine, but, of course, I had to slacken all the strings to get inside, which meant tuning hassles.

mejesse.jpg

I was extremely nervous, but it was a lovely audience, and I gradually settled down, despite the expected errors. Jesse Poe joined me for our song, 'Songs of Spring', and I coaxed other friends up on percussion, including the festival head honcho, Phil McMullen.

miriamspic2.jpg

Next I had to man my 'merch-table' which was a new experience for me, but a lot of fun meeting and chatting to folk. Managed to sell all the CD-Rs I sent in advance (60 in all), although I was doing 3 for $10 deals cos I didn't want to cart them home!

Joe Ross of the Green Pajamas asked to borrow my guitar for an impromptu set they did in the merch. room...it sounded cool, but I only heard the first 3 songs, because I didn't want to miss Lightning Bolt......which was a viciously great experience...they will be one of the gigs of the year in Aberdeen. When I got back, Joe had stood on my guitar lead, and the guitar was now dead :( I haven't looked at it yet to see if it can be zombified.

brokengtr.jpg

The person I wanted to see most was Bridget St John, (been a fan since the early 70s), and I wasn't disappointed..her voice is still superb (like a gentler Nico). I can't understand why she doesn't get the critical acclaim she deserves....if you like Nick Drake, John Martyn, Vashti Bunyan, Devendra Banhart etc, check her out. She did a Dev. Banhart cover, too!I got her to sign the dead guitar (along with Tom Rapp, and tons of other bands/friends). The weather took a turn for the worse, and for some reason we had to wait in the rain while Ghost finished their soundcheck, but it was worth it...amazingly beautiful music. I got 3 of them to sign a CD for Gavin of Fluffy & the Rainbow Bunnies.

The festival ended with everyone crammed into the smaller room for a beautiful set by Jack Rose. Then it was a drinking frenzy again!! Glenn Jones (Cul De Sac)'s wife gave me a shoulder bag from the Book Mill, where I played last week, and I gave Glenn my Balmoral hat which he proudly wore the rest of the night. For some reason it looked good on him, but made me look even more of a prat than normal, so it was a good move.

Massive downer on Monday morning, getting the bus to Logan Airport and the flights home :(:(:(

It wasn't a tour CD though...you might have it already. I got Kurihara' date=' Giant and the bass player whose name I don't know to sign it. I kept just missing Batoh :([/quote']

im extremely greatful :D its alright if i have it already and no need to worry about masakis signature the fact you got the rest of them to sign has more than made my day :D