aberdeen-music

Kitchen Cynics US Diary 06

Alan Cynic

Due to public request (well, StewCat, anyway!), I'm doing a tour diary of my trip.

I'll hopefully post something from New York in the next few days....first gig is for a US Cable TV show called 'Horses Sing None Of It' on Thursday night.:up:

I'm nervous............

Gig List...

Apr 13th Horses Sing None Of It (Randolph NJ)

Apr 15th Book Mill (Montague MA)

Apr 16th Sidewalk Cafe NYC

Apr 17th Knitting Factory NYC

Apr 18th WFMU session (Recording)

Apr 19th PA's Lounge (Somerville MA)

Apr 23rd TERRASTOCK 6 (Providence RI)

Guest DustyDeviada
alan's gigs never rock' date=' they are far too laid back (in the nicest possible way to rock)[/quote']

Alan rocks, but gently, just like his idol.

rockgen.jpg

;)

All the best

Due to public request (well' date=' StewCat, anyway!), I'm doing a tour diary of my trip.

I'll hopefully post something from New York in the next few days....first gig is for a US Cable TV show called 'Horses Sing None Of It' on Thursday night.:up:

I'm nervous............

Gig List...

Apr 13th Horses Sing None Of It (Randolph NJ)

Apr 15th Book Mill (Montague MA)

Apr 16th Sidewalk Cafe NYC

Apr 17th Knitting Factory NYC

Apr 18th WFMU session (Recording)

Apr 19th PA's Lounge (Somerville MA)

Apr 23rd TERRASTOCK 6 (Providence RI)[/quote']

Good Luck - knock'em dead.

DZL

Thanks all!!! arrived in New York yesterday afternoon, and have had a busy start to the trip, doing the touristy stuff...Empire State Building at night (and in a fairly strong wind!!!)

plus Broadway, Times Square, Greenwich Village etc So far today we went to the American Museum of Folk Art...it was great. We were going to visit MOMA but the queues were too long. Then it was a walk along 5th Ave and into Central Park.

I'm typing this in Cafe Alt on Ave. A, but must dash back to the Chelsea Hotel to get tidied up before tonight's TV show in Randolph, New Jersey.

I've a feeling it could be a disaster, but I'll give you the news soon.

Cheers,

Alan

Cheers Ian & Ross! Chuffed the Mighty Ducks are now rocking!

The TV thing was a half-disaster.....I got more and more nervous as I waited through camera/sound checks etc Then it was all recorded lve, with no post-editing, and I knew every mistake would be kept. The prog. started with a montage of images, ending in a piano player cascading down the keyboard and pointing, and which pont I had to start playing a song, after which the host introduced me. Needless to say I ballsed up the first song a bit, and got lyrics wrong in another couple. The remaining songs/chat went OK though. After it was all over we got to be audience members for the 2nd show to be taped, faturing a Seattle blues guitarist guy called P K Dwyer (I think!), which was fun.

Then, back to the hotel (knackered) with some rather lovely lasagne from the local deli.

Today we attcked a handy thrift shop, and picked up a heap of great vinyl (Mid period Procul harum, Sandy Bull, Spooky Tooth, etc etc.....5 albums for 3 dollars....yay!!!!

The it was the Empire diner for breakfast, and now we're set for a wnder round Chinatown, followd by the Staten Island Ferry and a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge.

Tomorrow it's out to Western Mass. for a gig at a lvely old place called the Book Mill....migt not post til Sunday.

Over and out!!!

I've got a tape, but I'm locking it safely away!!!!!

Yesterday we went to Coney Island in the fog...great fun...found a dead horseshoe crab (look like something prehistoric/tank-like). Also took a toddle over the Brooklyn Bridge.

Then it was off to a place called Montague in Western massachussets (sp?) called the Book Mill, in the company of PG Six. It was a brilliant road-trip, culmonating in a fun gig in an old mill which is now a book shop/restaurant. I played to a smallish, but appreciative audience seated on old sofas, with dogs lazing around. It was very friendly! We stayed overnight with Pamela Wyn Shannon, who was also playing. It was a lovely old clapboard house, infested with ladybirds for some reason.

Today we breakdfasted well with Pamela, had a gentle stroll, looked at some newts and various other unusual wildlife before driving back to NYC. I did my set at Sidewalk Cafe about 3 hours ago, and, apart from a loop-pedal error, it went well. I was chuffed that Lach was there (he was just back from a tour), and also the lovely Nan & Major Matt Mason of Schwervon (I 'bigged you up', Holy Folks!!!). Other friends in attendance were the owner of Cake Shop and Irene Trudel of WFMU with her husband Peter.

I was very relieved that the rest of the audience seemed to enjoy the set, which was a bonus! Next stop was Katz's deli for a celebratory salami on rye sandwich. I'm back in Cafe

Alt on Ave.A typing this, but it'll be the Lakeside Lounge next for a drink or three!!!!

Tomorrow, I'm at the Knitting Factory.....will keep you posted.

Cheers,

the old cynic

Cheers Psydoll and MKII!

S.... really enjoyed herself. She went mad taking tons of photos, and is all full of inspiration to do some NYC inspired artwork. She flew back yesterday :(

We had a good last morning going to MOMA to see the Edvard Munch exhibition.

Last night's Knitting Factory show was the best one so far. Needless to say I forgot to switch on my mini-disc until half way through the set. The other acts were PG Six, who did some great looping/feedback howls etc using a harp!! Also on the bill was Greg Petersen, whose band recently supported Yo La Tengo on tour. Then I high-tailed it up to the Sidewalk Cafe again to do a couple of songs at the Anti-Hoot. The Philip death song went down really well (I adapted it to make it NYC specific), and I got quite a few handshakes when I came offstage. I was asked by a guy who does the open mikes at CBGB's to go along there on Thursday, but I'll be in Providence watching Acid Mothers Temple at a Pre-Terrastock party.

This evening I'm hoping to do 2 radio shows. The first will be recorded at WNYC (overlooking the Brooklyn Bridge) for Irene Trudel's WFMU show. If I get through that without lots of retakes I should just make it to a live set on East Village Radio, which broadcasts from a storefront on 1st Ave. The DJ, Casey Block, was at the Knitting Factory gig and offered me a show.

Tomorrow I'll be bussing it to Boston for a show at PA's Lounge in Somerville with Landing,Paik, Abunai and a young English band called Thought Forms.

I will be knackered !!!!! :)