aberdeen-music

Bank charges

anyone else fed up of getting charged 30 if they go 50p over their limit?

check out this site:

http://www.which.net/campaigns/personalfinance/bankingcharges/index.html

there are 3 letters on the site which you can send to your bank about unauthorised ods.

just sent the 1st of three letters to my bank today asking how much i have been charged over the past 6 years. The next letter says that i would like it back from them as the cost of the charges does not reflect the cost to the bank from me going over my limit. The 3rd letter says that if they don't give it back i will tkae them to the small claims court!

apparently they dont want it to go that far because they know that will set a precedent and then they will get floods of claims.

anyway if you been getting robbed by the bank fire the 1st 2 letters away to them. cant do any harm! :gringo:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a nice idea, but I've gone over my overdraft virtually every month for the last 2 years. Last month I had a £40 direct debit for a phone bill which was due to come off the day before I was paid. I had £39 in my bank at the time, the bank refused the DD and charged me £40 'refusal fee'. Which left my account at -£1, and they then charged me another £20 for going ove rmy overdraft. And I had to pay the £40 bill on my emergency credit card, a £40 bill ended up costing me £100 for the sake of a pound!

it fucks me off something rotten. i have on occasion been overdrawn by something like 12p and they've charged me £30. now i realise we have an agreement not to go over our limit and that charges apply once you do but surely some common sense should apply and they could instigate a sliding scale of charge.

I sent out a cheque months ago, and the fucker I sent it to only recently presented it. By this time I thought it had come off already, and no longer use that account, but left it open with a bit in it. Turns out that 'bit' was 3 short for the cheque. So they charged me for refusing the cheque, which sent me overdrawn so they charged me for that too. The fucker then tried the cheque again another twice before I even knew this was going on. Another two sets of charges, and next thing I know I owe them 200. Which had to be paid immediately to stop them charging me again and again. Don't talk to me about banks.

i work as a student officer at the SRC at glasgow university and we did a campaign on this a few months ago which ended up all over the papers. it was done in conjunction with govan law centre and we created this little section on our website : http://www.glasgowstudent.net/advice/bankcharges/ which contains a cover letter that can be used to challenge banks in the cases you have all outlined above. we've had an extremely good success rate so far and if any of you guys fancy downloading it and using it against your banks, feel free. it's very simple, will take 5 minutes to do and send and could save you a whole load of money so give it some thought.

spoons

/x

I'm sure there's a website you can print out that details the technicalities of banking laws and why they are not supposed to over-charge you any more than what it takes to make the account £0.00 again.

My friend brought in the print-out and the bank let him off with it. I guess they get it a lot because the banker just said "yea, ok" when he saw the first few lines of the sheet. Must. Find. Website.

So far this year I've paid £134 in bank charges. Check this shit.... off to my bank at lunchtime to spill some blood. Presuming this would snowball on for the rest of the year, thats £536 a year they stand to make from just one person.

1. 6th January 2006 – insufficient funds for Direct Debt to THUS PLS ref 0071929 results in a bank charge of £39 to be debited 7 days from the date of letter. If this causes me to have an unauthorized overdraft, interest will be charged and a fee of £28. If the unauthorized overdraft is £30 or less, there will be no charge.

2. 7 days later, on the 13th the £39 charge is deducted. Balance after this charge is debited is £16.01, therefore unauthorized overdraft fees and charges should not be made.

3. 13th Januray 2006 – I receive a letter telling me balance is -£38.99 – as stated above, balance is £16.01. An unauthorized overdraft charge will now wrongfully be debited to my account on the 28th Feb 06.

4. 18th Januray 2006 – Thanks to Bank of Scotland’s excessive bank charges, I am overdrawn by £5.97. I am not notified of this however.

5. 9th February 2006 – I receive another charge “as notified” of £39. I was NOT notified of this deduction. This charge knocks my balance overdrawn.

6. 11th February 2006 – I receive a letter telling me balance is overdrawn by £33.53 thanks to the charge I received above. Another unauthorized charge of £28 will now be deducted, on the 31st March.

7. 28th February 2006 – I have £28 debited from my account as stated in point 2. This is an error. I am also charged interest. No explanation given.

8. 31st March 2006 – I am charged £28 + interest for point 6. I was not informed of this charge and can find no explanation for it.

In total I have paid £134 in the space of 3 months in charges. £95 of this should NOT have been charged and has always helped my bank account into the red ensuring another charge the following month.

I'm always really surprised when people moan about their banks doing shit like this because I've never had any problems with mine. I actually just got a job with RBS although I haven't started yet. They have a policy where if you go overdrawn and make sure that you've put money back in to cover the cost by 3.30 that day, then you won't be charged for going overdrawn. I think a lot of people don't know about it though.

I'm always really surprised when people moan about their banks doing shit like this because I've never had any problems with mine. I actually just got a job with RBS although I haven't started yet. They have a policy where if you go overdrawn and make sure that you've put money back in to cover the cost by 3.30 that day' date=' then you won't be charged for going overdrawn. I think a lot of people don't know about it though.[/quote']

Yeah but if someone decides to take off a Direct Debit early or someone cashes a cheque you'd forgotten about, then you aren't going to know you are overdrawn until the bank writes and tells you about it. I haven't had any bother for a while but there has to be a better way of banks charging. It's like they are robbing from the poor to give to the rich - Crazy!!

It's a nice idea' date=' but I've gone over my overdraft virtually every month for the last 2 years. Last month I had a 40 direct debit for a phone bill which was due to come off the day before I was paid. I had 39 in my bank at the time, the bank refused the DD and charged me 40 'refusal fee'. Which left my account at -1, and they then charged me another 20 for going ove rmy overdraft. And I had to pay the 40 bill on my emergency credit card, a 40 bill ended up costing me 100 for the sake of a pound![/quote']

which, if you put in perspective...is a pound you spent too much.

and you have to ask yourself: "What did i do with that pound?" (maybe spent it on a drink in paramount - who knows)

but most importantly, know that banks cannot practice leniency in a profession where THE CUSTOMER expects THEIR MONEY to be dealt with 100% accuracy in the first place. the banks have to abide by a code of conduct which the customer signs to agree with when they open a new account, arrange an overdraft or take out a loan. these are the terms of condition that YOU have agreed to when getting an overdraft facility. that means you are solely responsible for your money management.

of course, there are instances when the banks make mistakes, but your situation isn't one of them.

sorry to sound so harsh, but that's how it is.

PS: just for good measure, here is an analogy: it's like when a guy goes out in december wearing a t-shirt, then complains that it's too cold. IT'S HIS OWN DAMN FAULT.

which' date=' if you put in perspective...is a pound you spent too much.

and you have to ask yourself: "What did i do with that pound?" (maybe spent it on a drink in paramount - who knows)

but most importantly, know that banks cannot practice leniency in a profession where THE CUSTOMER expects THEIR MONEY to be dealt with 100% accuracy in the first place. the banks have to abide by a code of conduct which the customer signs to agree with when they open a new account, arrange an overdraft or take out a loan. these are the terms of condition that YOU have agreed to when getting an overdraft facility. that means you are solely responsible for your money management.

of course, there are instances when the banks make mistakes, but your situation isn't one of them.

sorry to sound so harsh, but that's how it is.

PS: just for good measure, here is an analogy: it's like when a guy goes out in december wearing a t-shirt, then complains that it's too cold. IT'S HIS OWN DAMN FAULT.[/quote']

totally agree with that. don't spend what you don't have. If you know you have a direct debit coming off your account make sure you have the money in it to cover it. It's as simple as that.

Surely people who get hit by charges the first time should be more careful in future with the running of their account?

Guest Hon Jonda
I'm always really surprised when people moan about their banks doing shit like this because I've never had any problems with mine. I actually just got a job with RBS although I haven't started yet. They have a policy where if you go overdrawn and make sure that you've put money back in to cover the cost by 3.30 that day' date=' then you won't be charged for going overdrawn. I think a lot of people don't know about it though.[/quote']

Working 8.30 to 5 what a way to make a living

Guest Hon Jonda

What i dont like is having 32 in my main account and having last months bank charge taken off which is 35 then being charged for going over my overdraft limit which means i get charged 35 the next month plus 25 if i dont repay it in 3 days.

What i dont like is having 32 in my main account and having last months bank charge taken off which is 35 then being charged for going over my overdraft limit which means i get charged 35 the next month plus 25 if i dont repay it in 3 days.

So tell the bank that you're going to have problems if it comes off. Banks aren't utterly unreasonable - if you tell them there's a problem, they'll be more than happy to sort it out for you.