aberdeen-music

What kind of guitar

paime

I need some help people! I need a new guitar, my old epiphone was nice but the poor old girl has had enough and doesn't perform so well so im going to treat myself to a shiny new g-tar:

I like high action (like les pauls) and lots of sustain so i can do uber bends.

I like clean notes, not too heavy or goth like.

I have about £500 - £650 to spend.

Help me find what the best guitar for me is!!!

Jamie

ps, i almost forgot, i want an electric one cos i've already got an acoustic.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like high action (like les pauls)

I'm confused, are you suggesting Les Paul's have high action?

If you are....you've been playing the wrong guitars.... Les Pauls were refered to as "the fretless wonder" because of their incredible action.....

Whats wrong with the Epi? cant it be tweaked and set up?

G...

Edit... You'd pick up a nice SG for that kind of money.

G:tar

I need some help people! I need a new guitar' date=' my old epiphone was nice but the poor old girl has had enough and doesn't perform so well so im going to treat myself to a shiny new g-tar:

I like high action (like les pauls) and lots of sustain so i can do uber bends.

I like clean notes, not too heavy or goth like.

I have about 500 - 650 to spend.

Help me find what the best guitar for me is!!!

Jamie

ps, i almost forgot, i want an electric one cos i've already got an acoustic.[/quote']

I'm fortunate enough to own several guitars including a Les Paul Standard and a USA Strat. I've also got an Ibanez which I use for practicing coz it's easy to play. They're all good for different reasons: -

Strat - clean, versatile;

Lester - tone, sex appeal;

Ibanez - fast action, right on the 'board and it's a lightweight guitar

Anyhoo, my tuppence worth, given your needs and your budget, would be to go for a Strat - clean tones, good action, extremely versatile and you're getting a "real" guitar (no offence intended to anyone) for not a lot of money :up:

I paid 500 smackaroonies for mine off eBay - it was weeks old, mint and came with hardcase and accessories and I absolutely love it :love:

Having said that - the SG's a good beast too.

DZL

This is what I have:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Stratocaster-Strat-Plus-1988_W0QQitemZ7404279307QQcategoryZ33039QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I can't recommend it strongly enough for complete versatility.

I'd also cut SGs out of the equation, as I believe they don't appreciate too well? Not in the same league of guitar as the Strats / Pauls anyway.

This is what I have:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Stratocaster-Strat-Plus-1988_W0QQitemZ7404279307QQcategoryZ33039QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I can't recommend it strongly enough for complete versatility.

I'd also cut SGs out of the equation' date=' as I believe they don't appreciate too well? Not in the same league of guitar as the Strats / Pauls anyway.[/quote']

Why the devil would you worry about selling a Gibson anyway?

If you feel like going up the Ibanez road, I'd recommend the SZ series. Nick from Iomega wields one, and it sounds pretty sweet on clean and on burn. Also, Dave from Crashdown borrowed it for a gig, and had no problem getting his usual Les Paul tone out of it. -> (http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=8463)

If you end up going for a Fender, just buy Mex. Strats and Teles are only as good as the pickups you put in them. And with the extra money you save, you can slot in something a bit special. I agree with above though. Very versatile.

Strat Plus, great guitar, my girlfriend's dad owns one. Plays well, pcikups are not to my taste though. The Ibanez is a nice guitar, played one of them and for the money, I think its a brilliant guitar. There are more expensive models of that guitar if i remember correctly? That LTD is mega sweet, I think the LTD range is a bit under-rated. Some of the stuff they do is damn fine!

I still say SG though.

Guest Gasss

GL-asat-sunburst.jpg

For "clean notes"

Made by Leo Fender and George Fullerton's post-"Fender" company.

You can get US models 2nd hand for about 400- 500 if you're lucky. Korean made models (with US hardware) cost about the same new.

GL-asat-sunburst.jpg

For "clean notes"

Made by Leo Fender and George Fullerton's post-"Fender" company.

You can get US models 2nd hand for about 400- 500 if you're lucky. Korean made models (with US hardware) cost about the same new.

ooh, that looks lovely. do they do them in that mustard yellow that the older tele's look so good in?

yeh i was gonna say a mexican fender tele or strat i played matt from paritys falls teh other night forgot how easy and fast u can play on them!

I personally have a Ep Sg400, a squier strat which is immense even though i have smashed it and glued it back together again and a schecter C1-Elite all pretty fuckin rockin gtrs!

Danny.

If you feel like going up the Ibanez road' date=' I'd recommend the SZ series. Nick from Iomega wields one, and it sounds pretty sweet on clean and on burn. Also, Dave from Crashdown borrowed it for a gig, and had no problem getting his usual Les Paul tone out of it. -> ([url']http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=8463)

Couldn't agree more! I'm not a massive fan of Ibanez's "Shred Guitars", but the SZ is very much a classic feeling Guitar, and can cover everything from Jazz through to Metal. Even the cheaper models (around 300?) are solid, very playable and sound good.

The Ibanez is a nice guitar' date=' played one of them and for the money, I think its a brilliant guitar. There are more expensive models of that guitar if i remember correctly?[/quote']

Yep! Quite correct! Personally I own the SZ 520QM (RRP 399.00) & the Prestige SZ 2020FM (RRP 899.00) Both are amazing axes, but obviously the Prestige model is the better of the two.

Best Current Models: SZ 520QM (399.00) , SZ 720FM (499.00) , Prestige SZ 4020FM (899.00)

Official Site: http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/series.asp?s=sz&l=e

:up:

Andy